Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 08:57:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingFireplace (v0.5.5) PC/Mac
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Fireplace (v0.5.5) PC/Mac  (Read 18295 times)
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2010, 02:11:48 PM »

you could have a piece of paper with commands come up when you type 'help' and if you type 'crumple' it crumples up and throws into the fire

SplinterOfChaos
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2010, 03:04:50 PM »

I didn't read the rest of this topic so maybe my feedback is covered already, but...

Neat toy! I wanted to window the game to check what the different commands were, but ALT+Enter did nothing. That's fine, but when i tried ATL+Tab to check the readme in another window, that didn't work. On the other hand, it wouldn't respond when i typed anything. I had to press ALT+Tab again and then it worked.

Of course, an in-game help would solve this problem immediately, but not being able to switch the process while not being able to type because another process is actually selected (presumably), is still annoying.

It'd be neat if you could have something other than fire. Maybe coal and lighter fluid? What about uranium?

Kuppo
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2010, 06:46:48 PM »

Good stuff!  It's always nice to see these types of toys.

I only found one of the unlisted commands, poker, so I am certainly on board for some kind of hint system.  Perhaps you could add more illustrations to the title screen?

Keep it up, I am definitely looking forward to where this goes.
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2010, 05:11:27 AM »

Fun!

How about a screen-saver version, which starts up with the fire already going with infinite logs?
Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2010, 11:15:53 AM »

You're awesome.

Also a screensaver would be lovely.

Ted
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2010, 01:07:53 PM »

Thanks, guys. A screensaver is a good idea.  I'll have to look up how to do that with a Game Maker game. Has anyone on TIGS done it before?

I'd like it to be less fuzzy when it scales full screen, so I spent last night learning about surfaces in GM.  Had some troubles with garbage data, though, even after doing draw_clear_alpha on the surface.  I hope I don't have a video card that isn't surface friendly. That would suck.

Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2010, 01:41:37 PM »

I use an external program/screen-saver thing which allows me to launch executables as screen-savers, its pretty cool. If I can find the name of it I'll post here for other people if they're interested...
Brother Android
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2010, 05:44:55 PM »

If I'm not badly mistaken, you just need to change the extension to .scr and it'll run as a screensaver.

Ted
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2010, 11:26:44 AM »

Oh man, you're right it works!  Grin  

Here it is as a screensaver.  I made two versions, one that plays 'water' on exit and one that exits immediately.  You can't type commands in the screensaver version since any input (keys or mouse) quit it.  I could leave in the ability to type commands.......but it's a screensaver  Hand Thumbs Up Left Undecided Hand Thumbs Down Right ?

Just put it where your other screensavers are located.  c:\windows\system32 on XP.  Then active it in the screensaver control panel.

water exit
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3907270/Fireplace_screensaver1.scr

instant exit
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3907270/Fireplace_screensaver2.scr

deathtotheweird
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2010, 11:49:22 AM »

whoa awesome. this is now my new screensaver. 

now even when I'm away, my computer is still indie as fuck.  Cool
Ted
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2010, 12:42:37 PM »

now even when I'm away, my computer is still indie as fuck.  Cool

Cheesy That is going on the box.

Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2010, 05:45:31 PM »

whoa awesome. this is now my new screensaver.

Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2010, 04:07:14 PM »

capn.lee
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2010, 12:54:24 AM »

at the moment it doesn't support multiple monitors.
My secondary monitor is my tv, and i'd love to play this on there, but it insists on opening on the primary monitor. Also, for screensaver mode, you'd be better having it either duplicate between screens or just make the other screen black

Still, awesome idea well executed!
Ted
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2010, 08:59:46 AM »

@Theon  Oh god...I don't know what that's from but that is hilarious  WTF (rage guy, got it)

@capn.lee That's not good.  I'm using Game Maker's built in full screen method.  Are people doing fullscreen their own way in GM to get around this problem?  Good call about screen saver mode on multiple monitors.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 09:09:33 AM by savethedinosaurs » Logged

Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2010, 03:01:28 PM »

Just got to say this is lovely. It's my active screensaver :D
Laremere
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2010, 08:12:09 PM »

I accidentally found out due to a friend today that hitting escape while water is being dumped on the fire will cause an error.

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, is sound_tree_fall.play() called?

"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom."
-Albert Einstein
Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2010, 04:05:43 PM »

Hey, could you perhaps make a button-specific exit from the screen saver, so we could use the text commands? :]
Ted
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2010, 06:25:35 PM »

Oh man oh man.  Fireplace is at a Babycastles holiday party tonight and look at the wooden cabinet that it's in.  This makes me really really happy  Hand Shake LeftEpilepticHand Shake Right

@Laremere Thanks for the bug update. I'll check it out.

@Theon That would be pretty cool.  I was thinking that capslock would be a good key for it, but then realized I can't check if it's already on when the app is started. I'll just use tab or space and it can say "interactive mode ON" or some such.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 06:36:51 PM by savethedinosaurs » Logged

ink.inc
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2010, 06:46:22 PM »

That's so cool!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic