Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58432 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 09:41:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioSound effect request
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Sound effect request  (Read 4322 times)
commodore
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 15, 2010, 11:05:59 AM »

I'm quite good with graphics and don't need help with programming but I can't do sound. So I thought I would ask here. Where could I get a decent "game over" sound? I can't even imagine what it should be like Tongue. I searched freesound for different things but couldn't find anything good.
FranticPandaKev
Level 1

I wants to Give you SounD!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 01:58:58 AM »

You should put your post up in the Jobs section, problably the unpaid collabs, you'll def get ppl willing to help

Twitter: FranticPandaKev
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 02:32:26 AM »

That clearly depends heavily on your game.
commodore
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 12:03:13 AM »

This is the game in its current state (pretty much finished, still lacks a title screen and a preloader):
link removed
I'm sorry that I made such a lame game, I just used it to familiarize myself with Actionscript and Flash APIs and to use artwork that I had made but not used. As you can hear, the sound I'm using now sucks.

Another question: should I have background music? Personally I didn't think I'd like to add it because I imagine people are listening to their own music when playing casual games.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 11:28:32 PM by commodore » Logged
FranticPandaKev
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 04:53:09 AM »

dude half of any game is the music, it can make or break you, Mario would be shit without the music. It sets the tone of every palce and encounter in your game, you shoule seriously look for a composer on here berfore releasing your game. There are tonnes of audio freaks on here so you should advertise about Smiley

Paint by Numbers
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 10:20:09 PM »

dude half of any game is the music, it can make or break you, Mario would be shit without the music.

With music, if it's bad, you just turn it off and play some music you like. You can't turn off the graphics or the gameplay and replace them with things you prefer. It's much less of a big deal if you screw up music than if you screw up - well, pretty much anything else. Music is still rather important to the game and can complement things nicely, and I'm mostly with you there... but Mario, shit without music? No. Not so much. Not at all.
FranticPandaKev
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 02:04:43 AM »

Yeh ok fair enough, The Mario thing is just me trying to make a point(but do you really think it would have stood the test of time in silence?). Just trying to get across the fact that music is a highly important chunk of yur game, all the retro games ive ever played, the things I remember most about the games are the tunes (maybe thats just me). The sountracks add too much character to be left out, and yes I do agree the Silence can work too agrument, or just minimal or ambience (just have to look at knytt stories) But to have no music is silly to me Smiley

Paint by Numbers
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 02:10:21 AM »

(but do you really think it would have stood the test of time in silence?)

Yes.
FranticPandaKev
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 02:53:11 AM »

depends on the player I supose, I really liked the music, it tied the game games together for me Smiley

Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 08:04:11 AM »

I can't think of any games that use a sound effect for game over--usually it's a musical cue, or even a whole song.

hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 09:39:20 AM »

(but do you really think it would have stood the test of time in silence?)

Yes.

I disagree. However I do agree that the storyline and characters and interesting aesthetic that mario first had (still has) when it first appeared in our lives was quite powerful and hard not to observe. I understand you are saying mario is one hell of a game, but it's soundtrack definitely helped it. And continues to help it. Silence is important, but I can't see how mario would have felt without it's chirpy music to match its chirpy sound effects and quirky characters with random stories.

Not saying the music for mario is the only music that could have been in it, but the fact there was music, and it was incredible music, made that game even more enjoyable. Don't subtract the power of a soundtrack from games, and be aware that there is particular examples which bypass this "game with soundtrack is win" idea, because they draw on the power of the silence used within the game, or ambience.

It's a big bag of different games, there can't be just one way of doing it, which is why it is so interesting.

Also, I think you could benefit from having a composer on your game, because there is a lot of great ones around here who will work for you just for the experience. Just check out the audio boards magic.

KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 10:31:15 AM »

It annoys me quite a bit when I see people turn off the in agme music and put on their own music. It just doesn't fit, and takes me right of the immersion experience of the game and makes the game less enjoyable. It's my opinion anyway, I know people who can't stand to hear anything but what's on the radio like country or whatnot and turn off all sound for games. My Fiancee is like this. It makes me cry inside.  Cry

Paint by Numbers
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 12:53:54 PM »

I disagree.

I agree with you on some points, and you're entitled to your own opinion, but if you ask anyone what Mario contributed to the entirety of video gaming, they will not say "the music".
KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 04:53:43 PM »

This sounds like a pointless argument just waiting to happen.

Paint by Numbers
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 05:04:00 PM »

This sounds like a pointless argument just waiting to happen.

The argument happened already. You're a bit late, bucko. Smiley
KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 07:50:17 PM »

Isn't that just my luck? Always late to the party (and all the drunk chicks are taken already). Sad

hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2010, 04:48:21 AM »

I disagree.

I agree with you on some points, and you're entitled to your own opinion, but if you ask anyone what Mario contributed to the entirety of video gaming, they will not say "the music".

I didn't said "entirety", but I did say it was an important part of Mario though and definitely strengthens its nostalgic presence in my memory. And although this does feel like an infinite discussion, which I guess I should put down at this point, saying if you ask anyone is rather extreme, in fact you made the point yourself, I am entitled to my own opinion, and the fact we're discussing this on different sides of the fences prove that not any one person will give you the same answer.

Anyway, my point was that the music is extremely important, and not to be disregarded, I didn't say mario was trailing on the success of its OST, but it most definitely was one of the most memorable features from the game!

FranticPandaKev
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2010, 06:14:32 AM »

What the hell is Mario, I thought i just made that up!

hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2010, 07:45:12 AM »

Beer!

KM
Level 9

KM "Shilling for CASH!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2010, 10:01:32 AM »

Mario is that Italian pizza maker down the street.  Grin

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic