Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 04:22:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingHelp these girls on their last leg.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Help these girls on their last leg.  (Read 4235 times)
Musenik
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: March 20, 2008, 08:06:31 PM »

This forum seems to prefer 'lean forward games', with constant action. This is a 'lean back' game -- it waits for you. For those who enjoy reading and playing light mini-games, (and shepherding naughty girls around in the 1920s) please read on, and check it out.

The game is almost finished. Not that there isn't plenty of work to do. Please help me generate a last list of tasks to make it worth shipping. I would greatly appreciate your feedback. This game is rated TEEN, for suggestive sexual content. (the demo, however, has almost none)

Screenshot:
http://p4.hostingprod.com/@mousechief.com/ssFirstGirl.jpg

PC demo download:
http://p4.hostingprod.com/@mousechief.com/DHSGirlsDemoSetup.exe

Mac demo download:
http://p4.hostingprod.com/@mousechief.com/DHSGirlsDemo.zip

I've spent two years developing this game. That is a bad gamble for the casual market. Now there are signs that story games are taking hold. I'm optimistic. Two years ago, I was thinking it would be more like a boardgame and simpler than the open world epic sandbox it's become. It wasn't suppose to take more than nine months. I hope I haven't bored the forum with my regular requests for feedback. However, in this demo, you'll find a brand new fibbing game and a revamped flirting game. I'm especially interested in hearing about their quality.

thank you all again,
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 10:20:49 PM by Musenik » Logged

ChevyRay
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 08:52:54 PM »

That screenshot has some serious style!

I'm downloading.
Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 06:18:46 AM »

What is it about the 1920s that was so awesome?   Smiley

One thing I'd say: I like the way you use the whole screen like a tabletop, but at times I found myself having to hunt a bit to find whatever button or card I had to click on.

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
Musenik
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 07:56:04 AM »

What is it about the 1920s that was so awesome?   Smiley
I think it was the birth of a new nation. The end of world war 1 caused incredible upheaval, that and a horrible pandemic which killed millions of people. Society, science, and business started to integrate in ways that changed everything. We got national communication with radio, and brand advertising, and propaganda....

...but I digress.

Pacian,

Were you hunting for things on the game board or on the control screens? It sounds like you had trouble with the control screens/parts. What would you suggest? Did it get easier as you played?

thanks,

P.S. Sorry about the typo on the screenshot. I need to shoot a new one.

Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 09:39:36 AM »

I thought the game played and looked great, except maybe for some buttons that, IMO, went a little bit out of the general style of the game. Anyways, great job, I wish you good luck if you're planning to sell this.  Smiley

dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 11:28:30 AM »

I played it and loved..

the insulting attack system that was awesome!  I want to see an rpg with that type of system.

I like how when you quit it automatically saves

I like how you can press i at any time to get info

I love the art style and the amount of resourced in this thing it's great

A couple things I'd change

Sometimes the text boxes flashed by to quickly I'm  not really sure what they were saying

When I'm in the i menu and I press back I want it to just take me back 1 card not all they way back to the game.

Runs well on my mac!
Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 04:52:17 AM »

Were you hunting for things on the game board or on the control screens? It sounds like you had trouble with the control screens/parts.

Well, hunting for things on the game board seems likes it's half the fun.   Wink

Did it get easier as you played?

Yes, I've learnt the way the game works now, and I don't find myself getting confused.  I think part of it is that I'm just used to games that put their information in one place and their buttons in another.  I actually think that mixing these two things up is one of the strengths of your game.  If it concerns you (which it only should if you find other people having issues with this) you might like to give the clickable buttons and cards a slowly pulsating border or something.

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 08:35:13 AM »

I really liked this, the gameplay was interesting and varied without breaking the theme, and the story and characters felt original and personal. It crashed once on me but the auto-save rescued me.

I haven't gotten the full game (yet) so some of this might be missing from the demo, but anyway.

The Taunt system was great, although it felt weird that enemies didn't learn any comebacks and that you were allowed to use the same taunts an infinite number of times. That way, you could just find one that worked in a fight and stick to it.

I would have liked to see a "give up" button in the games, when pressed it would maybe give you slightly lesser penalties. Overall, I just wanted a quick way out of  challenges I knew I was losing.

I liked the visual style of the game, though I personally felt some of it was unnecessarily abstract - I can understand if the aim is to make it look like a boardgame, but I thought this made it harder to connect to the story.

Nitpicking; it was a bit overwhelming at first. Things happened to the left and right, pieces kept appearing and disappearing for no apparent reason and I was hammered with information without having everything I forgot about structured somewhere (or maybe it was, I just missed it). It was easier the second time, sure, but since I already knew what was going to happen by then it wasn't as much fun.

Great game overall, though.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic