Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411506 Posts in 69379 Topics- by 58435 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 10:46:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignGames that lets you control more than one character at the same time
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Games that lets you control more than one character at the same time  (Read 6181 times)
namre
« on: July 28, 2010, 08:17:43 PM »

Are there any games where you take control of more than one character at the same time?

Most of the time players are only allowed to control one character. If ever you do get to control more than one, commanding them would need to take turns. I'm looking for games where lots of characters move with just one click or press of a button.

I'm looking for something along the lines of "Black and White".

The reason I asked this is that I have this idea that I came up with when I was thinking of a unique gameplay mechanic. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if somebody else has done it already. I would like to see what others have done so that I could learn from them and be able to make my game better.

Thanks a lot in advance!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 10:06:25 PM by namre » Logged
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 08:52:45 PM »

Um... strategy games?

deathtotheweird
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 09:00:54 PM »

also some console RPGs like Dragon Age or Baldurs Gate.

I guess you could say Ico you sometimes control both characters (when yorda is holding your hand that is)..that's a bit of a stretch though.
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 09:02:39 PM »

The World Ends With You had combat based around the use of two characters at the same time.

namre
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 09:15:32 PM »

Thank you for your quick replies.

LandsharkRAWR nailed what I was looking for. Something like The World Ends With You. Are there any games like these?
Ushi-kun
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 09:35:41 PM »

I guess the DS is probably your best bet of finding such game play, since it has the whole advantage of two screens. But I don't have any memory of seeing such gameplay other than The World Ends With You.

I do remember this browser game (think i saw it on indiesgames.com), where the whole game mechanic was controlling two characters who move like mirror images.

namre
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 10:12:39 PM »

MoOshiCow, haha wow. Black and White is exactly the gameplay I've thought up.

I thought I already have a unique idea. It seems like someone has beat me to it. Shrug

The concept seems the same only not mirrored. I want to play it to confirm if it is exactly the same as my ideas. Unfortunately, Kongregate is currently down. >.< (What did GameStop do now?).

Does anyone know any games that are exactly like this?
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 10:25:35 PM »

This Gamma 4 game:
http://www.potoandcabenga.com/

If you're lonely, Treasure Treasure:
http://db.tigsource.com/games/treasure-treasure
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 10:34:44 PM by John Nesky » Logged
sodap
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 01:44:24 AM »

bowser's inside story for the DS has you controlling both characters at the same time

JoGribbs
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 02:03:20 AM »

Enough Plumbers immediately springs to mind. Controlling two characters at once is something that really interests me, because it removes that kind of special link the player has with their avatar. I have some thoughts on the matter here [/shameless plug]
namre
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 02:11:51 AM »

@JoGribbs, don't be ashamed. For you have helped a fellow man in need. Thanks!
sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 05:03:40 AM »

I made a game where you could do this, well, more of a prototype. My website exploded recently so I'm afraid I can't provide a link right now... I could on request. Fortunately, Moshboy put some

earlier this year. Thanks again, Moshboy!
dice
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 05:12:05 AM »

Be a man!
http://www.indiegames.com/blog/2010/07/freeware_game_pick_man_enough.html

namre
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 05:17:04 AM »

@sergiocornoga, hmm... interesting experiment. What were the reactions of people when they had to control two characters at the same time? Did they like it? Thanks in advance!

@dice, lol its my first time seeing that game and it certainly did require controlling multiple characters. Each with their own games! Haha. Brilliant! Although, it seems that the game is pretty difficult to play because you have to multi task between four different games!

Oh, and the song got stuck inside my head and can't get it out. Help >.<
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 05:23:00 AM by namre » Logged
Balrog
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 07:15:12 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_Land

Also, I coulda swore that there was a ninja game on XBLIG that did something similar with different colored characters but I can't seem to find it.

Sorano
Level 6

Game Designer / Double Stallion Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 07:16:08 AM »

The Lost Vikings! Gentleman
namre
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 07:32:07 AM »

@balrog, ah yes. I played this when I was a wee little kid! Haha. Thanks! Here's a video for those who want to know what binary land looks like -

dice
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2010, 01:15:36 PM »

[...] Although, it seems that the game is pretty difficult to play because you have to multi task between four different games [...]

Tom Selleck and Hercule Poirot don't help things either. :)

mjau
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2010, 08:50:58 PM »

What Linus Bruckman Sees When His Eyes Are Closed

Swarm Racer

Xoldiers

Also, mimic manipulation puzzles in the Deadly Rooms Of Death series (except RPG). The original has mimics you can place yourself, later games add preplaced mimics that can have different orientations and such.
PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2010, 10:45:24 AM »

The Company of Myself leaps to mind. I didn't actually like it, but it fits the bill.

Finished games: Manufactoria! International King of Wine!
And others on my site.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic