Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 07:43:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Adventurer?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Adventurer?  (Read 3227 times)
Mrakken
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2010, 04:30:49 PM »

Hey there! I'd like to make a suggestion. "Adventurer" from any number of roguelike games. It's a bit generic, and I don't think anyone owns the rights to the ol "at sign" text hero. I mean, maybe Thomas Biskup, the creator of ADOM, if you wanted a specific roguelike, or the Nethack guys, or heck, maybe even the original Rogue developers. Well, you might not even have to get the rights, since @-sign adventurers are from roguelike games which is an entire genre. I know you have Dwarf already, but I mean... Dwarf Fortress isn't a REAL roguelike. Kind of.

So yes, I suppose this could sort of be like your "Joke Character". You know, sort of like the "Game and Watch" character. He'd be an abstract "@". Nuff said. I think it could work.

So yes, here's a moveset I just cooked up. I'm basing him off of ADOM, since that's the game I play the most.

attack
"Melee Weapon"
"("
A nondescript attack with a "weapon".

attack <>
"Ranged Weapon"
"}" and "/"
Attacks with a ranged weapon and a projectile which can either be aimed forwards, or at 45 degrees. It shoots quite slowly, and moves like the projectile animations in text roguelikes. Aka, "square by square"

attack ^
Lightning Ball Spell
Creates a ball of lightning above "head". does multiple hits.

attack v
Fire Ball Spell
Surrounds self with fire. Does nice knockback.

special
Find Weakness
A melee strike that you charge. The longer you charge, the higher your chance to get a critical hit, a highly damaging attack. Non critical hits still do more damage than usual though, and fully charged attacks will always be critical hits.

special <>
"Wand"
"\"
Uses a wand at random, they're all useful though. Has a long windup
(Wand of Magic Missiles) - basic magic projectile, will bounce off of things
(Wand of Cold) - damaging magic projectile that has a chance to stun, doesn't bounce
(Wand of Acid) - highly damaging magic projectile, does extra damage when it hits, doesn't bounce
(Wand of Death) - does extreme damage, very rare
(Wand of Paralyzation) - paralyzes

special ^
Two Weapon Combat
Spins around while holding two weapons. Aids in recovery a little. (I'm not happy with this one, does anyone else have a suggestion?)

special v
"!" or "?"
Uses a potion or a scroll for a random effect, most good, but some bad, or just plain useless. Takes a long time to come out. Use only when in a safe area.
(Scroll of Item Creation) - creates an item
(Scroll of Familiar Summoning) - creates a familiar "d" that seeks out the closest enemy and disappears, or, if you don't think it would make things broken, it could summon a suppport character, to compensate for this, you could make this move really rare.
(Scroll of Protection) - halves damage done to self for a short period
(Scroll of Teleportation) - randomly teleports player
(Scroll of Identify) - no use, ironically, since it is actually one of the most used scrolls
(Potion of Healing) - restores some health
(Potion of Invisibility) - the player is invisible, but not invulnerable
(Potion of Boost Strength) - increases damage done by regular attacks for a short period
(Potion of Booze) - seemingly useless, but actually boosts the power of wands for a short period (sort of an actual in game feature, booze potions recharge wands)
(Potion of Poison) - does a little damage to self

Alternatively, his down special could be a "class change" move, which changes the rest of his moveset, but I didn't write any of that down because... I didn't feel like writing more than one moveset. For convenience, perhaps it would be a melee+ranged class and a magic class? I don't know. Just putting out some ideas.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 04:34:29 PM by Mrakken » Logged
Paul McCrawfish
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 05:19:24 PM »

I dig the concept of a roguelike character (ASCII dude with @ head, mayhaps?), but that movelist is way too centered around luck to be much fun.
Mrakken
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 05:37:38 PM »

Ah, I suppose so, the "luck" characters are sort of gimmicky, but I think they can work sometime. Well, the "Wand" move was really supposed to be an general projectile attack, the randomization is supposed to be mostly aesthetic, but I agree that the "Potion/Scroll" move might be a bit too much.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 05:38:31 PM »

If you want to suggest a character, don't make a new thread. Suggest it in the Indie Brawl: Main Characters thread. Threads should not be made until we all agree that the character should be made.

An ASCII character would not fit the Indie Brawl style at all. We could however make a generic adventurer looking guy and call him rogue or something like that, and people would get it.

The moveset is definitely to random. Without any sort of consistency, He would be annoying to plays as and fight against. Also, balancing power with rarity does not work, because when the rare thing happens, it feels like a bunch of BS. You are fight this character like normal, than all of the sudden you just get killed by an attacked that normally wouldn't kill you.

One of the biggest parts with making characters is making the sprites. Alternate movelists are right out, and all this randomness would mean tons of sprites. You might say that the sprites would be easy as they are just ASCII characters, but we wouldn't use ASCII characters for previously mentioned reasons.
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 05:51:12 PM »

and how about beutiful ASCII sprited characters? a bit like shotgun ninja or something like the image on ADOM's web page (http://www.adom.de/). it could work somehow but I suggest to reduce the random stuff to a top of 3 per move. i vote for for cold, acid and missiles wands and the scrolls of familiar summoning, teleportation and potion of invisibility.

They only think of me like an awesome ninja cat.
Mrakken
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 05:52:25 PM »

Ahaha, alright then, my apologies for not following forum rules. It's my first day here, and clearly, I must lurk moar.

Oh crappleface, I feel like an idiot. @-adventurer is on the very first page of the Main Character suggestion thread. Hoho, silly me. Nothing new under the sun eh?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 05:57:13 PM by Mrakken » Logged
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 05:55:04 PM »

if you'll stay here i think that's no problem and if you know how to sprite things then you should be really doing a draw of the character ^^

EDIT: btw if the character's a rogue why the hell did you called the thread Adventurer?
EDIT2:Couldn't resist.
man he needs to be like that but shaded and proportioned Tongue
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 06:44:56 PM by -Frikman- » Logged

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 06:51:57 PM »

I think he'd look best as a completely normal adventurer, but his face is replaced by an @ sign. He'd still have a normal head, but he'd just have an @ sign for a face.

I like this character, and the aleatory moves are a bit much, but a good idea! I personally like Game & Watch's randomized move, as it's fun, so perhaps you could just tone down the randomness a bit, and make it so people have ample warning time as to what has been randomly chosen.
-Frikman-
Level 3

Love, Honor and Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 07:00:39 PM »

normal adventurer with @ face? people will get confused just like they did with Dwarf. his graphics are awesome but he doesn't represent his game 100%. plus it won't be the same |=(

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 07:05:07 PM »

G&W is awesome, but his hammer is BS. It's his one move I do not use (well, that and his worthless up smash).

Mokesmoe said basically all I wanted to say, so I'll just add this. A roguelike character does hold a certain charm, but it's mostly just funny to think about, and doesn't really make for a compelling character. It was discussed early on, and that was more or less the conclusion. While it is not a bad suggestion, I think it is better to focus on more iconic characters first.

I'm locking this thread, since this discussion should be in the main character suggestion thread. You may continue discussing it there.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic