Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411494 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58434 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 01:51:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignGenres that don't get enough attention
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Genres that don't get enough attention  (Read 6403 times)
fraxcell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2010, 11:18:09 AM »

Haha, when you first said Icebergvania I was imagining a metroidvania set in a giant iceberg. What you said is cool too though Wink

Personally I want to see more real time strategy games in the vein of Sins of a Solar Empire, combining real time and 4x strategy. Possibly with an even greater focus on the economic and diplomatic aspects.

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2010, 12:40:18 PM »

Haha, when you first said Icebergvania I was imagining a metroidvania set in a giant iceberg. What you said is cool too though Wink

Personally I want to see more real time strategy games in the vein of Sins of a Solar Empire, combining real time and 4x strategy. Possibly with an even greater focus on the economic and diplomatic aspects.
Victoria 2 just came out.

Seth
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2010, 06:58:32 AM »

stealth games!
Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2010, 08:04:58 AM »

Sports games.

I can't believe how rare these are outside of the big studios.  There's a real opportunity for smaller shops to cater to more niche sports that the big boys like EA don't deal with.

For example, I curl, and I plan to try to make a curling game at some point.

What would John Carmack do?
Montoli
Level 7

i herd u liek...?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2010, 07:27:48 PM »

I can't really think of many games that don't get enough attention. As with the free market system, if a genre is good, it'll get a lot of attention. If it's something weird like Viva Pinata, it gets less.

On the other hand, if there IS something that is great, that hasn't gotten attention yet, how would you know about it? Smiley  If you know about it already, then one could argue it has clearly gotten at least some attention!  (i. e. yours)

www.PaperDino.com

I just finished a game!: Save the Date
You should go play it right now.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2010, 01:31:32 PM »

ACTUALLY FUN Sports games.

Fix't. And that might actually be a good competition idea, too. Shocked

Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2010, 01:50:06 PM »

Action adventure sports based flight simulation games with light rpg mechanics.

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2010, 02:14:33 PM »

Cool Game Show remakes.

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2010, 02:45:57 PM »

I'm just saying, a Ninja Warrior game would be the bomb.
Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2010, 04:33:24 PM »

stealth games!
Actually yes.

Every damn stealth game that anyone makes has to boil down hanging from roofs and garroting dudes.

I want a stealth game about a character who ISN'T a homicidal maniac and is looking to GET AWAY with the shit he/she does without reaching the top of the FBI's most wanted list.

As in you're breaking into a house, so it gives you a few days to case the place as you see fit, drive up in a repair van and use binoculars, pose as a repairman, or just sneak around the grounds outside looking for security mechanisms. Then when the time comes you have to actually find a way to break in silently, disable cameras and alarms, etc.

In other words something that isn't just a third person shooter with bad controls and up close combat. Something that resembles the shit you'd actually have do to break into a place and not get caught.
RCIX
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2010, 05:30:50 PM »

stealth games!
Actually yes.

Every damn stealth game that anyone makes has to boil down hanging from roofs and garroting dudes.

I want a stealth game about a character who ISN'T a homicidal maniac and is looking to GET AWAY with the shit he/she does without reaching the top of the FBI's most wanted list.

As in you're breaking into a house, so it gives you a few days to case the place as you see fit, drive up in a repair van and use binoculars, pose as a repairman, or just sneak around the grounds outside looking for security mechanisms. Then when the time comes you have to actually find a way to break in silently, disable cameras and alarms, etc.

In other words something that isn't just a third person shooter with bad controls and up close combat. Something that resembles the shit you'd actually have do to break into a place and not get caught.
This sounds like a "white collar crime" game rather than stealth...
Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2010, 05:39:17 PM »

if they could find a way to make stealth games that boiled down to more than an action game with an obnoxious amount of waiting i would be super down with that. as it is, there aren't many that pull that off (the sly games do a decent job)

Lo
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2010, 02:53:11 AM »

I agree, there aren't many very good stealth games.

Well, that's constructive. I am working on a stealth game of my own to correct this though, as with every other genre. Giggle
magnum_opus
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2010, 08:40:56 AM »

ACTUALLY FUN Sports games.

Fix't. And that might actually be a good competition idea, too. Shocked

If I started a Compo, how many people here would be interested? it's certainly come up a few times in the past in the compo idea thread.

Paint by Numbers
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2010, 09:28:32 AM »

If I started a Compo, how many people here would be interested? it's certainly come up a few times in the past in the compo idea thread.

I'd be up to it, so long as we're allowed to make a game the manliest sport of them all - the grand tradition of bossaball.
magnum_opus
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2010, 09:40:34 AM »

Sure.

The idea is just sports so moopsball, speedball remake and 43 man squamish would all be fair game.

Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2010, 09:40:48 AM »

also, stealth kills help the waiting problem a lot, as it leaves a bit more margin for error overall and rewards your patience pretty well. if you have to leave everybody alive it often makes it more of a timing puzzle and a lot less satisfying.

edit: oh yeah this isn't a stealth game thread. ANYWAY, sidescrolling beat-em-ups. they got churned out of arcades like crazy by capcom and a few other companies in the 90s but, with few exceptions, they all played virtually the same. imo the genre has a lot of potential and, while i love a good game of alien vs. predator or battle circuit, never really went anywhere. the only two sidescrolling beat-em-ups i can think of that actually felt different were river city ransom and viewtiful joe.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 09:44:27 AM by [fish in space] » Logged

Lo
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2010, 09:58:24 AM »

I kinda wish more games would look into the Animal Crossing style of sandbox. Rather than just blowing up stuff and stealing cars, it'd be cool to see what else a developer could do with a small but highly interactive environment. Seeing as games are usually all about the locations, it'd be cool to have a game that focused entirely on this- like an island community that the players joins. They could chat with the locals, trade items, build a crude sailboat and explore the islands off the coast, and soak in the scenery at different times of day.
Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2010, 03:27:29 PM »

i'm gonna be honest, that just sounds like a highly polished club penguin.
if we're talking sandbox games, we need more where we play as superheroes. like hulk:UD or Spiderman 2 except with other superheroes. playing a good sandbox game as thor or iron man would be fucking badass

Lo
XRA
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2010, 11:13:49 AM »

I miss the aesthetic styling of arcade action games from the late 80's early 90's, the war themed ones or the strange beat'em ups... Mutation Nation, Thunder Fox, Undercover Cops, Two Crude Dudes, Sengoku, Dynamite Duke, Operation Wolf...  I'd love to see games incorporating that sort of stuff while still using our current-gen graphics capabilities, rather than just doing pixel art (as much as i love pixel art)...  

A great example would be making games that actually look like the box art paintings of those late 80 early 90 games, pushing stylization in that way.

Another thing I miss and think will make a comeback due to Co-Op is games that are raw and straightforward like the original Doom was.  First person shooters that play like a manic nightmare of Robotron, Co-Op and procedurally/dynamic recombined level structures (but no more zombies).

In general I think there is a lot that hasn't been tried in FPS games, and we could really see some excellent things going on if people go back to the basics a bit, and get away from the realism simulation stuff and mimicry of MW2.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 11:19:19 AM by XRA » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic