Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411514 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 03:50:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingTeleglitch
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Teleglitch  (Read 25679 times)
senorbarborito
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2012, 02:05:35 PM »

hi

I'm most intrigued about this game, particularly about what seems to be the random map generation.

would you care to ellaborate on what the process is roughly?

It doesn't seem like it´s completely random, it's more like you designed a few rooms and they get "stitched together" randomly.

I'd love to hear more about your approach!

Edited to add:
I must have played through the first level 10 times and I can't work out for the life of me if I'm playing the same map over and over again :/

Regards
-Sr. Barborito.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 04:48:30 PM by Señor Barborito » Logged
epcc
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2012, 05:59:28 PM »

Levels consist of modules. Modules are connected by predefined connection points Their order is always the same but as there can be branches, different modules get placed in a different branch every time. The generator also connects the modules by different connection point every time and checks that there is no overlap. Connection points that after placing all modules have no other module attached to them get a special dead end module.
Monsters are pre-placed in modules, but most of them get randomly deleted during generation until there is a certain amount of them left, so changing level difficuly is a matter of changing one number for every type of enemy.
Items spawn randomly in predefined spots.
All the level generation code is open source, look at luainit.lua, row 240. and level1/objects.lua
I hope that this explanation isn't too confusing.

All the levels and modules are chunks of lua code, so it would be really easy to add full-on procedural generation. Actually, that's what I'm doing right now. I'm not sure if it will make to the final version, however, because getting the same level of detail with procedural generation is relly hard.

senorbarborito
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2012, 05:43:51 PM »

thanks epcc!
I don't think I've fully understood how it works exactly but I get it more or less.
I´ll look at the lua code.

regards
AaronLee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2012, 08:11:37 PM »

Pretty informative, EPCC. I've been messing around with procgen myself. It can be pretty hard having any control over how its done so I understand how some things don't come out with congruity/detail.

Is your algorithm recursive or iterative/looping? I Originally used recursive to generate a tree of assembled parts for the space stations in Periapsis. Parts called the function on themselves for every new part they wanted to attach to themselves, which went on until the algorithm decided it didn't want to add a new part and returned false. The main problem was I couldn't mess with what was being done once the algorithm got going, meaning I only had one real version of what could generally be made.

I swapped over to a part_new, part_define system where parts place blanks (new part) wherever a part COULD go, then a define algorithm puts something there by populating the blank with data. It makes the recursive, nested calls into a nice, flat procedure that I can intervene in, start, pause or stop and do arbitrary stuff during.

epcc
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2012, 04:06:14 AM »

My algorithm is looping.
Every iteration it tries to attach the first module in the list to a random available connection point. If it succeeds, it deletes the first module in the list and repeats until the list is empty.

Berick
Level 0

The Mad Scientist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2012, 03:57:30 PM »

I love this rouge-like style of game, and am currently making one myself ("Dread").

The environmental detail work in this really stood out to me. I especially liked the little touches of interactive physics. The FOV "shadow" didn't line up with the walls very well though. It looked more like it was floating above them, which was visually distracting.

I only encountered 2 types of enemies, a weak / fast melee guy and a big brute that shoots (throws?) stuff. Both were challenging but not overly so. If there was an objective besides running around shooting guys, I wasn't able to find it. Not before I died anyway.

My only gameplay complaint was that I found a ton of ammo and supplies in the first few rooms, but then they suddenly dried up. In no time I was out of ammo and defenseless. Was this intentional, or are supplies supposed to slowly get less and less as you go further and further and I just ended up with a fluke of the random level gen?

I plan to give it another play tonight. Just to see how much of the above was because I could only play it briefly this morning.

Great job on it so far, and I'm looking forward to future updates!

There are no limits for those that see no limits
epcc
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2012, 08:51:54 AM »

My only gameplay complaint was that I found a ton of ammo and supplies in the first few rooms, but then they suddenly dried up. In no time I was out of ammo and defenseless. Was this intentional, or are supplies supposed to slowly get less and less as you go further and further and I just ended up with a fluke of the random level gen?
Item placement is quite random. There's guaranteed pistol and some ammo at the start. After that, the loot might be everywhere. As the level structure isn't really linear,
not all the loot lies along the path to exit. There's always the same amount of ammo, it's just a matter of placement.

Berick
Level 0

The Mad Scientist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2012, 03:26:23 PM »

So there's a set amount of ammo in the game? Are there melee weapons or do you have to explore everywhere to collect enough to survive?

epcc
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2012, 04:36:27 PM »

Yes, the ammo count is fixed. Left ctrl stabs, if you run out of bullets.
I think that there is quite enough ammo, I think its more of a matter of using it effectively. Don't try to kill every zombie. When singled out, they are hard to hit and you may end up wasting a whole clip of ammo for just one zombie. (try stabbing). Also, use bombs against large crowds. One big bomb may save several clips of ammo when used correctly.
While it may be tempting, don't build the autopistol in the first level, it's mainly effective later in the game when there are swarms of zombies. In the first level it just wastes an awful lot of ammo.

Berick
Level 0

The Mad Scientist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2012, 04:50:43 PM »

Ok, that makes sense.

One other note, the font in the game is difficult to read, as it is tiny and sort of blends together.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2012, 10:07:39 PM »

Like the visuals and the shooting effect you have going on. Also the doors opening with lighting is looking really nice.

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2012, 11:30:42 AM »

I've been meaning to play this since I first saw it in motion but somehow never got around to. The game runs almost perfectly in Wine (I sure hope the Linux port is coming Smiley), with the only bug being the map, when I press TAB the game becomes black.

The gameplay feels great, but it's quite difficult, I couldn't find any medpacks and didn't manage to complete any level. What determines the screen rotation when it's turned on? Most of the time the screen remains static, and sometimes when I was in some small corridor it began to rotate.
I think the best thing about it is the gritty look (low resolution, but not really pixelart, plus all the distortions) and the level design (even more so because it's procedural), congrats on that.
I didn't really like the screen shake (or whatever it was) when I get hit by the big guys, it's really disorienting. I guess it should be, but I would still tone it down a little, or maybe exchange it for some of this cool colour distortion you have going on here and there?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 11:44:21 AM by Netsu » Logged

epcc
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2012, 05:46:31 PM »

Linux port is planned. I even have Linux installed and all the code is platform-independent, so it should just be a matter of recompiling and hoping that the infamous Linux GPU drivers can run all the obscure mess I've done there.

Screen tries to rotate so that the corridors are at 90 degree angles, otherwise the player bumps to the walls too often, because he constantly has to tap wasd in the right direction.
It's accomplished by invisible sensor circles that rotate the screen to necessary angle when the player collides with them.

I think the best thing about it is the gritty look (low resolution, but not really pixelart, plus all the distortions) and the level design (even more so because it's procedural), congrats on that.
The environmental detail work in this really stood out to me
I think that my brother will be really happy to hear that.

By the way, has anyone made it to level3 or level4?
If not, maybe I should make the levels smaller and make it less hardcore, because no one except me can play it.

Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2012, 12:02:15 AM »

I tried a few times again and the map started working, don't know what was wrong yesterday. I was even able to find one medpack, but it didn't save me. I only tried the first level so far, and it is huge! If all levels are the same size maybe you should make them gradually grow larger? If they already do then well, I think they should be smaller Grin

AaronLee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2012, 11:00:23 AM »

Linux port is planned. I even have Linux installed and all the code is platform-independent, so it should just be a matter of recompiling and hoping that the infamous Linux GPU drivers can run all the obscure mess I've done there.

Screen tries to rotate so that the corridors are at 90 degree angles, otherwise the player bumps to the walls too often, because he constantly has to tap wasd in the right direction.
It's accomplished by invisible sensor circles that rotate the screen to necessary angle when the player collides with them.

The environmental detail work in this really stood out to me
I think that my brother will be really happy to hear that.

By the way, has anyone made it to level3 or level4?
If not, maybe I should make the levels smaller and make it less hardcore, because no one except me can play it.

I mad eit to level 3 and promptly died. I plan on getting all the way through.

Also I ran for my life through level 4, does that count?

Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2012, 11:12:23 AM »

Managed to finish level 1 with 5hp , but didn't explore it whole. The second enemy on the second level killed me (a small shooting guy). My final high score is 50 Tongue

Milk5hake
« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2012, 07:04:31 AM »

I haven't had a whole lot of time playing this game, but from what I've seen so far, It's awesome. I really like the combination options, Teleport FTW. I'll write a more inciteful review after some more gameplay.
Pandara_RA!
Level 6

Maximum Friendship All Day

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2012, 04:21:55 PM »

Feedback Panda

Gameplays: 43 (tries)
Furthest room: 4 (due to crashing)

Sound/Music
1. The Sound effect of teleporting in is too loud towards the end of the teleport
2. please have the basic enemies also make a sound as you near them, as from a top down they blend into the environment  some times
3. No music in game made the world feel really really empty when you are moving through aleady cleared sections.

Menu:
1. the first time I load into the game the screen is contorted graphicly till I start playing the game, I'm not sure if intentional as the game is about glitches haha, but it made me try to "fix it" so if it is intentional, maybe have the options/menu selections be clear then the map glitch in. (EDIT: Alt-tabbing fixes this visual glitch, so it's not intentional, though the concept may add flavor if you so choose).

2. I'm confused why I can start on lvls 1-2-3-4? as a player it gives me the signal that there are 4 "playgrounds" and it's not a game about completion/progression, I didn't know I was supposed to find the exits in each level to progress to the later levels till playing longer. Maybe having new players start on level 1, and unlock the ability to jump around levels as you get to them would be cool as it would encourage the idea of progression.

3. The mini map in game is so cool.

Gameplay:

1. I dislike zombies spawning from thin air on the maps rather than just being placed around, a few too many times I have been spawned right on top of and it just gives this wierd disconnect from the game world, if you wanted the zombies to spawn in a way that is a surprise, maybe have an object one could burst out of rather than a tube, this way you could place say a create and it would bust out of that in the middle of the room. or if you just want a zombie presence even after you clear a room have them come out of a pipe.

2. As much as I enjoy the world, when the camera is switching it's viewing angle in a room when returning to a room that had a completely different angle, I start feeling totally lost, I don't mind that each room kinda turns the view for the room, it just becomes labyrinthy when returning to a room with that different angle.

3. The world kinda feels empty and the same, I'm not attached to the environment, so I see the world as follows Is there a zombie here? Is there an item here? okay next room. Maybe some audio logs/text? maybe some spots of infomation/events that describe what happened in little parts for the player to place together? or maybe even a room with say a small little puzzle that would reward me with a chest for items? Make me care about the world you put so much time into, maybe notes about what items to combine.

4, It just feels bad to come off a level with low health and have no med packs around in the starting room...or next 9 rooms for that matter as of now medpacks feel a bit too "lucky", I know the medpacks are super powerful, so maybe just starting the level with full health would give me a freash start on the next level, or if you'd like to keep the difficulty a bit higher, maybe just introducing minor health pick ups that give only tiny bits of health (say +2-5 hp) though have them a bit more abundant, so if I play the levels well and avoid most of the hurt I'll slowly be regaining my health.

5. Getting to around level 4 crashes the game for me =[! as I enter the teleporter I've never been able to advance further due to this crash (happened 3 times now) (EDIT:I will try to get this to crash one more time and grab the txt!.)

6. Even after playing about  40+ times, I'm feeling like me advancing from level to level is based on the ammo, and random stuff I get along the way rather then some choices I make, for example sometimes I enter doors and just get jumped by 10+ zombies, or sometimes I open a door to find a two 50 hp health packs, no enemies, and a shotgun with ammo, and depending on how I lead up to those types of rooms decides if I live or die there. That's the curse of ranomly generated rooms I guess haha, there is no real way to predict what rooms will help you or not (blood trail leading to a room
, darkness in an area etc) and not exploring every room will lead to your demise in the next level if you aren't totally stacked in items or greens to combine into things like detectors/armor/teleporter and such.

Items:

1. I found myself never trying to use explosives as they are just hard to select then reselect your weapon, and later in the game my inventory was mostly just green items waiting to be combined, and I'd horde them instead or explosives.

2. As I said before medpacks are too random...sometimes I get 3 right away, and boom I'll make it to lvl 3 no problems (then have to look for more from there. othertimes I'm low HP and can't move on to the next level 100% knowing the next level will stomp me if I dontfind a few more med packs...then you find a pipe instead, and you may as well just start over.

3. The detector is nice, though I think I can't think of a big reason not for it to be just not always on, to me the first time I picked it up I thought it was automatic, and was really confused to see a pipe explode on me with zombies. As is having to select it again and again, just makes the game move really slow as I'm going back and forth between that and a gun, so I don't get killed.

4. As you combine items and play the game out, Maybe have a chart that unlocks the recipies as you craft the items for reference, and also to promote experimenting to find the last of the recipies.

Overall:
I really like the gameplay experience for the most part, at this point in making the game, I feel like you have a really solid  playing experience, though just need to polish and expand the contents to make the experience as well rounded as possible, there is a really really great base to do this from, from the lighting and map effects, to the environmental map changes and random objects around the world. I really think this game has potential to be a really flushed out experience from here, and it's exciting to think it's already getting there.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 12:45:17 PM by Pandara_RA! » Logged

epcc
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2012, 02:28:12 PM »

Whoa!
Thanks for that epic post. I'm too tired right now to dispute/defend my game from your points. Anyway, you should try to use explosives, they are at least as effective as a full clip of machinegun ammo, if used correctly. 1,2,3,4,g,m selects different guns, bombs and medkits, respectively, it helps a lot when placing bombs. With explosives you shouldn't run out of ammo.
Music will be in the next release and that glitchy start effect isn't intentional, but i've seen it and I'd like to put this in game in a controlled way.

I'm worried about that crash in the 4.level, do you have any more information about it? stderr.txt after crash might provide some useful information. Any crash dump or whatever would be really helpful.

+2..+5 medpacks looks like a good idea. Maybe I should make some of the monsters drop them.
Oh and thanks again. Your review is twice as long as the high schools final essay in Estonia. It's awesome to see that someone can bother to write so much about my game.

Pandara_RA!
Level 6

Maximum Friendship All Day

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 28, 2012, 02:28:04 PM »

Whoa!
Thanks for that epic post. I'm too tired right now to dispute/defend my game from your points. Anyway, you should try to use explosives, they are at least as effective as a full clip of machinegun ammo, if used correctly. 1,2,3,4,g,m selects different guns, bombs and medkits, respectively, it helps a lot when placing bombs. With explosives you shouldn't run out of ammo.
Music will be in the next release and that glitchy start effect isn't intentional, but i've seen it and I'd like to put this in game in a controlled way.

I'm worried about that crash in the 4.level, do you have any more information about it? stderr.txt after crash might provide some useful information. Any crash dump or whatever would be really helpful.

+2..+5 medpacks looks like a good idea. Maybe I should make some of the monsters drop them.
Oh and thanks again. Your review is twice as long as the high schools final essay in Estonia. It's awesome to see that someone can bother to write so much about my game.

Oh I do understand that you can use the items using 1,2,3,4,5, g and m, but as someone hard-trained to never EVER take your fingers off "WASD" from other shooter games I found them hard to use if you are mouse scrolling, this is due to not being able to ( or maybe not understanding how) to rearrange items in your inventory so switching to what you want is only one wheel up or down from what you want to do.

now you might say it's completely possible for me to change the controls if that were the case lol

and I did, changing it M and G  to "shift" and "cntrl", though from here it cycles, so it's hard to get to the RMX200 bomb for a smaller wave though instead are handed a XxBomb360xX420.

=] rearranging inventory would be nice is how I should word it.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic