Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 09:00:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsLudum Dare 18
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Ludum Dare 18  (Read 14557 times)
shockedfrog
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2010, 06:11:18 AM »

Didn't like the theme much at first but ended up with an audio based shooter that I'm pretty happy with:

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-18/?action=rate&uid=1078

Ludum Dare, the competition I sometimes actually finish entries for.™
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 08:24:44 AM by shockedfrog » Logged
Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2010, 07:34:17 AM »

Despite my initial disappointment in the theme this ended up being my best LD so far (both in terms of enjoyment and finished 'product').  Had a real blast.  Good job everyone!

My game is up here

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2010, 09:02:17 AM »

Didn't finish it in time for the competition, but I submitted it to the jam.  Sad

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-18/?action=rate&uid=1540
moop
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2010, 12:20:33 PM »

Just about got my entry done on time. It's my first attempt at Ludum Dare and it was great fun if a bit hectic. The short timespan made me feel like there was not enough time to think through problems, even though they probably would have been solved faster by stopping to think than by brute forcing it. Might feel less like that next time though, this time I ended up spending most of the first day writing a quite nice and general purpose sprite based game engine.

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-18/?action=rate&uid=2573

It's not amazingly polished but I had quite a busy weekend so only managed to spend about 14 hours on the game spread out  between various interruptions.

adam_smasher
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2010, 01:33:30 AM »

Around Sunday morning I realized that there was no way I'd finish in time (not even for the jam) - and that if I continued working at my current pace, I would die.

In my defense, I made the completely insane decision of trying to write my game for the SNES in 65816 assembly language. Something like a simple array lookup turns into code like:
Code:
 // get index into entity data
  pha
  rep #$20 
  lda $00
  asl
  asl
  asl
  tax
  sep #$20
  pla
 // kill me

Tedious, often brain-breaking, and so, so frustrating. Virtually every piece of code I added or changed initially caused the SNES to crash horribly. Getting a title screen to draw took most of Friday evening, and getting a sound effect to play took me deep into Saturday.

I like my concept though, and I'm terribly stubborn, so I'm going to finish it anyways. It'll just take a couple of weeks rather than a couple of days.

Toeofdoom
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2010, 01:47:35 AM »

I completely missed this thread, but I entered and definitely made something I'm pleased with. It actually has some of the better graphics of games I've made as well as self-recorded music which is a first for me. Working with unity was definitely a good idea, too.

I saw jonathan's game already which was definitely worth a play, I'll have to get around to the rest of the ones in here.

cai
Level 0

the illest of villains

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2010, 05:58:16 AM »

This was my second LD, and I made a little game about a wizard, named Fromulus:

You can go to the play page directly or the voting page.

I'm pretty happy with how the game looks and feels (although there are plenty of bugs, some of which I have already fixed, others not so much), but I wished I had time to make a longer map.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 04:36:52 PM by cai » Logged

PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2010, 07:26:10 AM »

Around Sunday morning I realized that there was no way I'd finish in time (not even for the jam) - and that if I continued working at my current pace, I would die.

In my defense, I made the completely insane decision of trying to write my game for the SNES in 65816 assembly language. Something like a simple array lookup turns into code like:

Haaa-hahahah! That's so awesome, and insane =) Seriously I think that's an LD first, somehow... I'm going to give you an award right now.

EDIT: Um... I can't find your author page to give you a trophy! What's your author page? Seriously you deserve a trophy for starting a game for an actual SNES...
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 07:32:38 AM by PsySal » Logged
adam_smasher
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2010, 03:26:35 PM »

You're much too kind, sir. Gentleman

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/author/adam_smasher/
jovoc
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2010, 04:28:28 PM »

Well I didn't finish my entry but I managed to make a good start on a platformer. I'm a huge mega-man fan if you can't guess that.

It's not really playable yet, but you can download the game here:
http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-18/?action=rate&uid=34

I used Ogmo for the maps, worked out really well, and pro-motion for the sprites. Sorry no timelapse this time, I didn't have it set up beforehand.

Hopefully I'll have a chance to finish this up, maybe even port it to iPhone.

Jovoc
Riley Adams
Level 5

I don't actually use Ubuntu much...

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2010, 05:46:06 PM »

T'was my third LD, (second one I actually finished on time...)

I made a shmup in which you tractor beam enemies in to use their weapons and/or throw them back at other enemies:

http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-18/?action=rate&uid=1503

PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2010, 08:46:10 PM »

Done. We reward insanity, 'round here.
ecliptic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2010, 10:49:14 PM »

I despise that I always find out about these LudumDare contests a day or two after they've ended, heh.
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2010, 11:35:14 PM »

I despise that I always find out about these LudumDare contests a day or two after they've ended, heh.
there's a mailing list, dude Tongue

Alistair Aitcheson
Level 5

"Ali" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2010, 07:52:53 AM »

This was my first LD too, although I've done team-based 48-hour competitions before. I was inspired by Godzilla for some reason (I was set on Godzilla even before I saw the clips on the keynote!), and made a game where you have to mind-control the giant monsters and send them to beat up the other monsters.

I'm not sure how happy I am with my entry. I think the concept was cool and I'm definitely going to develop it further. But I think all the good things about the game are overshadowed by horrible controls.

If you're interested, have a go and tell me what you think Smiley

Mind Control Monster Mash

shockedfrog
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2010, 06:30:29 AM »

For those who've been a bit overwhelmed by the number of entries, good news - the judging is over and the results are available at http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-18/.
Riley Adams
Level 5

I don't actually use Ubuntu much...

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2010, 10:43:17 AM »

Hey, 16th in theme and community, yay! Grin (well, more like 20-something-th with all the ties but close enough...).

Toeofdoom
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2010, 08:05:30 AM »

Hehe, mine got trashed a bit in the ratings. Decent graphics and audio scores, I guess (and #8 in coolness Tongue) but it seems my game just wasn't that much fun.

Since the gameplay only came together relatively late I don't really mind. The knoweledge that I can make music for games all by myself is so awesome that I can't really complain about the game not being that good.

alexandersshen
Level 2

What's a battle?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2010, 09:09:16 AM »

'twas a fun contest, I must say!  For those who didn't get a chance to play it (there were tons of great entries), I really wanted to build something, but was out of town to visit friends.  I ultimately woke up early one of the days (friends enjoy "sleeping in") and put it together in 2 hours.

In any case, great times and I'm very glad to have been a part of it.  Apparently my game was received pretty decently in the humor and graphics categories.  Hooray pixels!

Play: http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-18/?action=preview&uid=2591
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2010, 12:43:29 AM »

great first contest. Inspired me enough to get to work on a more thought out version of my entry Smiley I'm giving myself 3 months for this one.

I think the biggest thing I brought home from this comp was that I need to focus on making the game bug-free rather than vast in gameplay. An obvious observation in hindsight but give me a break, it's my first game comp  My Word!

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic