Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69379 Topics- by 58435 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 08:09:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignZombie Apocalypse Simulator
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Zombie Apocalypse Simulator  (Read 9543 times)
namre
« on: August 21, 2010, 11:30:09 PM »

I started watching HighSchool of the Dead which gave me an idea for a game: A Zombie Apocalypse Simulator!

Before you leave and say "Not another Zombie game!" please hear my idea out.

Here's my idea:
Zombie games are all about survival. However, I can't help but notice that "survival" is only limited to killing zombies. Surely it's not all about killing, there's more to it that not a lot of games explore on.

The game I've thought of would be like a sandbox game with a randomly generated city. The game starts as soon as news of the zombie apocalypse reaches you.

First thing you need to do is to look for a safe place and bunker down. You have the option where you will set up your homebase. It could be a high rise building or a store down the street, or you could stay at the comfort of your own home. It's up to you. Of course, you need to make sure that the base you pick is secure enough to resist zombie hordes.

Inside the base, you control the character ala Sims. You need to eat to relieve hunger, sleep to get more energy, or do stuff that could increase your morale, etc.

To be able to survive longer, you need to get medical supplies, food, weapons by going out and raiding shops throughout the city and take them back to your base. You could also look for unique items that have a unique effect on your character, like for example, a  game console. Or you could get a table next door to make your barricade even stronger. Of course, there's a limit to how many you could carry. The more weight you carry the slower you become.

You could hijack a car, place your scavenged items there, and cruise around hitting zombies along the way. However, looking for fuel wouldn't be easy so one must use it only if really needed.

You can meet other people along the way. You could help each other out, stick together or not. These choices has pros and cons. If you stick with each other, there will be more mouths to feed but you have someone to watch your back. The opposite will happen if you choose to ignore that person. Also, the more people you have, the more you could salvage and carry back to your base.

Personalities of people are also randomly generated. They can be cowards, highly-skilled with weapons, a jerk, or maybe even someone who you go to bed with. Again, each personality has pros and cons which will make you think twice on who you stick with.

As for goals, you could go look for your lost family. Or go to a army-controlled base. However, doing so will need you to travel a lot and change bases. The main goal of the game would be to just survive for as long as you can.

In short, the game will be a simulator of almost everything that happens in every zombie flick. Yes, cliches and all.

===============================================================

Other ideas:
- Items do not respawn. So if you've cleaned out the nearest convenience store of supplies, you need to look for another one. This will force players to explore more. Eventually, the player will be forced to move their base to a place where there are lots of places where they could get supplies.

===============================================================

So what do you guys think? It's something I came up with out of a whim.

What I like about this idea is that a lot of people sometimes wonder what life would be like when surviving a zombie apocalypse. This game, if executed properly, can help simulate that scenario.

If there's already a game like this, share it with me please! That would save me the hassle of creating one. Haha. Just want to play a zombie apocalypse game where there is more than just shooting.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 07:41:48 AM by namre » Logged
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 11:59:20 PM »

I'm working on a zombie fort game, it's likely going to be procedural but it's got a more "outback" feel than city. It's also 2D. I love the idea of sandbox gameplay that's actually interesting, and I see zombies as a good motivation to be creative. Also yeah, I'm sick of all the zombie games being about shooting a million bullets. I'll start a devlog for it soon.

namre
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 12:03:33 AM »

@Geti, oh really? That's cool. Make sure to message me up once you have your devlog up. Will be nice to see how it goes ^_^
Dook
Level 0

Wombat!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 02:47:57 AM »

I thought of something like it once. My idea was more like the old Sim Life/Earth games though where you didn't have a real goal but could just play around with different sorts of zombies and such and see how it plays out. Perhaps give them different mutations and see which ones did better (like the 'old' fast vs. slow zombie debate)

The Sims with zombies sounds great too though Smiley
Swattkidd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 02:59:05 AM »

Yea I also thought of a game sort of like this. Minus the zombies, and yea get you should start a devlog.
Theotherguy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 08:10:44 AM »

I have long had a similar idea, and I made this little prototype a while ago:

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=10954.msg336107#msg336107

Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 10:16:40 AM »

I know you had that "there are alot of zombie games" disclaimer and I know that you'd try to make this one original and all but... dude...

There are too many Zombie games.
awbskeur
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 10:32:11 AM »

I know you had that "there are alot of zombie games" disclaimer and I know that you'd try to make this one original and all but... dude...

blasphemy! get out ->  Angry

indie == freedom of creativity

for author: perhaps will inspire
namre
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 11:03:35 AM »

Thanks to all those who have replied. Will check all your links.  Grin
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 01:49:18 PM »

will there be a whores only mode?

You know... just to see how long you last only finding whores to survive with.  Wink

zacaj
Level 3

void main()

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 10:34:41 AM »

Would also be cool as an MMO(or a mini multiplayer online, more than like 10 people would be too many), real people, who really need to sleep in real life, if everyone leaves the game pauses, maybe ai if someone was going to go on vacation.

My twitter: @zacaj_

Quote from: mcc
Well let's just take a look at this "getting started" page and see--
Download and install cmake
Noooooooo
Carrie Nation
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 11:46:37 AM »

I just pictured this game concept being done well and realized that bullshit I said about there being too many zombie games is... well... bullshit.

Keep on keepin on man.
Dook
Level 0

Wombat!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 12:11:43 PM »

It's true there are a lot of zombie games out there but usually the zombies are just basic monsters who could be anything really without that changing the game play at all. In most zombie games (that I know of anyway) the zombies and the survivors are already there from the beginning and just duke it out from there. The whole point about your friends and family turning into the monsters you fight is rarely used in games.
Nix
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 12:32:46 PM »

There are a lot of zombie games, but nothing is really good. Even L4D is just a shallow zombie-basher. It's like every other FPS but with zombie graphics. There are no good games out there that truly emulate the real zombie experience. You wouldn't be running around shooting zombies all day; you would be trying to survive. Now this could very easily be incredibly boring, but I think that if someone manages to do it right, it could actually be quite fun. Personally, I've always had the most fun in zombie games where the primary objective is to hole up and prepare so you don't die (i.e. certain maps in Zombie Panic!). Zombie Panic actually had a nice mechanic where you could collect "barricade hammers" and barricade doors and walkways with them to keep zombies out. I think that moving towards this idea of "survival" is leading towards the perfect zombie game much more than the cool zombies and special effects of L4D.
namre
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 01:34:16 PM »

Would also be cool as an MMO(or a mini multiplayer online, more than like 10 people would be too many), real people, who really need to sleep in real life, if everyone leaves the game pauses, maybe ai if someone was going to go on vacation.
I've thought about having multiplayer but decided not to do it. Being alone would be part of the experience and the people you meet are strangers that you do not know and have personality. Personality that can contribute to the atmosphere and theme.

I just pictured this game concept being done well and realized that bullshit I said about there being too many zombie games is... well... bullshit.
Hahaha. Yeah. Execution would be critical when it comes to a game like this. That's why I created this thread so that I could get the opinion of other people on how to go with this.

In most zombie games (that I know of anyway) the zombies and the survivors are already there from the beginning and just duke it out from there. The whole point about your friends and family turning into the monsters you fight is rarely used in games.
Exactly! There are a lot of things that happen during a zombie apocalypse, but the "before" part is also important.

Zombie Panic actually had a nice mechanic where you could collect "barricade hammers" and barricade doors and walkways with them to keep zombies out. I think that moving towards this idea of "survival" is leading towards the perfect zombie game much more than the cool zombies and special effects of L4D.
I agree. It I could pull this off, survival would be on a different level.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 05:01:01 PM »

Zombie Panic is so wrong on so many levels. Zombies are supposed to be mindless instinct-driven creatures, not controlled by players!  Mock Anger

Also, L4D is fun and not "like any other FPS".

And lastly, there are already plenty of zombie games that focus on survival.
Nix
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 07:04:41 PM »

And lastly, there are already plenty of zombie games that focus on survival.

Give me one worth playing.
namre
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 08:39:37 PM »

there are already plenty of zombie games that focus on survival.
Well, if you think about it, zombie games ARE about survival. I just want a game that is more complex. Like I said, if you know one, kindly share it with me so I could check it out.

Cheers
FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2010, 08:54:12 PM »

will there be a whores only mode?

You know... just to see how long you last only finding whores to survive with.  Wink
Given that this was inspired in some part by Highschool of The Dead, this seems pretty fitting.

I think the closest games are Omar's Oyster Outing and Survival Crisis Z, but those are more arcade-y and encourage the player to be active and explore rather than try to establish a solid bunker.
namre
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2010, 10:03:18 PM »

I think the closest games are Omar's Oyster Outing and Survival Crisis Z, but those are more arcade-y and encourage the player to be active and explore rather than try to establish a solid bunker.
Well, one still needs to explore further as items do not respawn. If you have cleaned out the nearest convenience store of supplies, then you need to look for another one. This will force players to explore and maybe look for another base.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic