Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411503 Posts in 69379 Topics- by 58435 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 07:20:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignZombie Apocalypse Simulator
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Zombie Apocalypse Simulator  (Read 9542 times)
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2010, 10:06:10 PM »

http://www.squidi.net/three/entry.php?id=48

Also in zombie games I think it's essential that 1 zed can kill an unprepared player, or at least cause them some grief. In prelude I'm planning on making zombies bash down your fort (& supports) angrily, as well as there being infection and stuff to deal with later on. The player object is going to be horribly complex probably, ugh. But regardless, I'd like to see a game with zombies that's actually got some depth, yes. It's a "fun" situation.

namre
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2010, 10:27:06 PM »

I think maybe something like a top game with ASCII graphics would be good, it would mean less time spent on gfx and more time spent adding depth to the game.
Yeah. Top down is my first choice, like a roguelike game. But I'm thinking that instead of ASCII, I would create simple tile graphics. Similar to the one used in the Serial Killer game http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2010/08/unsettling_roguelike_serial_ki.php

The reason for this is that I want it to be accessible to non-roguelike players. There's something about ASCII graphics text that they dislike.

Who knows maybe this game would open up their interest in roguelikes and try out others.

I can almost imagine myself being more scared of a bunch of "Z"'s coming towards my base than a bunch of cheesy-looking zombies.
Lol. Yeah, I know the feeling. It's similar to the one I've felt the first time I stumbled upon a Carp in DF!

Posted in 06/25/07? Wow, that's a very long time. Is this yours?

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2010, 10:54:54 PM »

Nope, just passing on the link.
Lol. Yeah, I know the feeling. It's similar to the one I've felt the first time I stumbled upon a Carp in DF!
Hahah. I managed to get fucked up by a pack of wolves recently, was unhappy about that but it was fun to suddenly get the shock of "wait it's fucking tearing my guts out oh god run run oh god". I don't like shock violence but I do like that there's a chance for enemies to be scary.

namre
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2010, 12:00:14 AM »

Nope, just passing on the link.
His idea is similar to mine, I wonder if he has already started creating it.

I don't like shock violence but I do like that there's a chance for enemies to be scary.
I agree. Sometimes it is all up to our imagination.
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2010, 12:45:44 AM »

He probably touched on it at some point, but all the designs there are CC licensed afaik.
Indeed. Unfortunately that has ramifications for those of us with overactive imaginations Wink

namre
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2010, 12:59:46 AM »

He probably touched on it at some point, but all the designs there are CC licensed afaik.
If he still hasn't then I guess I should continue on with mine. So should you with yours.

Hows it going with your game idea, by the way? The zombie fort?
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2010, 01:19:37 AM »

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=14478.new is how. Early days (literally ~2 weeks in I suppose)
Exams coming up for the next few weeks though.

namre
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2010, 10:02:21 AM »

It seems like someone actually beat me to it! Haha.

http://roguesurvivor.blogspot.com/

The game is similar to my idea. I guess the difference will be in execution.

Now I'm having second thoughts of pushing through with my game idea since someone has already made one.

Hmm...
Sam
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2010, 12:02:05 PM »

You might also be interested in looking at the (still in development) Dead State:
Their site
Rather more informative interview
namre
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2010, 08:24:58 PM »

Thank you very much for the link Salt. I shall now ditch my idea and wait for Dead State. Woot! I'm getting excited!
Jonas Kyratzes
Level 1

Yes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2010, 02:53:29 AM »

You might also be interested in looking at the (still in development) Dead State:
Their site
Rather more informative interview

That sounds so good.

"Moderate strength is shown in violence, supreme strength is shown in levity." - G. K. Chesterton
http://www.jonas-kyratzes.net
antymattar
Level 5

Has earned the contemporary *Banned* medal

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2010, 11:23:40 PM »

I do think that it would be fun to see a zombie apocalypse simulator because all the zombie games these days are just shoot em ups!

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2010, 03:58:42 AM »

I'm doing a game right now where you have to survive a zombie apocalypse, collecting food, batteries for your torch, ammo, health items and drugs etc.  I eventually decided to scale back the survival element as I was worried about dead-end scenarios.  In more of a sim-type game, I think it would work great though.

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2010, 05:21:24 AM »

Been planning to make this sort of thing as Deadrock (www.deadrock-game.com) for some time now, haven't managed to get it off the ground yet. Good luck!

jethrolarson
Level 0

@jethrolarson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2010, 03:52:24 PM »

I have been kicking a Social Zombie Survivor idea around for a while. My focus is on creating and maintaining a settlement. It's kind of Farmville meets Final Fantasy Tactics with more direct social interaction between players.

https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AZ6e0T51jXo0ZGQ3cXNtc2dfMWYydHE3d2dy&hl=en&authkey=CPv7g3c

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2010, 02:26:14 PM »

I want to thank the OP and all posters in this topic for inspiring me to come up with a sweet game idea   GiggleHand Thumbs Up Right

So far I've coded the basic ASCII graphics engine and got a nifty intro screen going. We'll see how fast progress goes and whether I go anywhere with it.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic