Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411503 Posts in 69379 Topics- by 58435 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 07:47:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignarkanoid brick STOOOOORM
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: arkanoid brick STOOOOORM  (Read 2946 times)
speeder
BANNED
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: August 24, 2010, 08:14:13 PM »

basically: throw your idea of arkanoid brick, it can be completly nuts if you want (like a brick that ASPLODES EVERYTHING... or spawn ZOMBIES...)

Or if you want it can make sense. (like... a normal brick, that when you kill, give points!)

Also, the brick don't need to be brick shaped (so if you want to suggest a brick shaped like the gish in that derek yu photo... you are welcome... although I dunno what someone would do with such thing, except make McMillen happy), and the ball CAN or NOT follow the shape of the brick (like... if the ball hit a triangular brick, it change the angle properly)

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 11:22:14 PM »

A brick which symbolises the struggle of the working class to own their own home in the post-GFC world.

namre
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 11:32:51 PM »

Bricks that avoid your ball. Incoming ball, scatter! Eeeek!

Oh wait. I might be onto something here...
voidSkipper
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 12:35:40 AM »

My bricks explode into pretty glow particles (:3)

But they're still just bricks.

Make a brick that turns the tide! Your paddle turns into bricks and you have to finish the level before you break your own paddle!
speeder
BANNED
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 09:39:00 AM »

I liked your game voidskipper Smiley

How you did the watery effect?

My idea of brick is a brick that changes the direction of the ball.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 01:56:33 PM »

brick with an arm that tries to defend its body, and grabs at the ball to throw it back at the player with great speed and force

Christian223
Level 1

DRAGON was robot

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 03:05:30 PM »

A brick used to build houses.

The Don Quijote of bricks...

Bricks are money.

Bricks are death.

Bricks are ninjas.  Ninja

Bricks are Gandalf.  Wizard
speeder
BANNED
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 06:07:38 PM »

Hey, this is about design, there is not point in being amusing if you cannot use it in a game Tongue

(but I still wonder what a gandalf brick would do)

voidSkipper
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 08:56:08 PM »

I liked your game voidskipper Smiley

How you did the watery effect?

Thanks.

The ripple effect is a convolution filter which expands circles on a bitmapdata, then removes the center of them based on the previous frame. The resultant bitmap is fed to a displacementmap filter which the level display is run through before the bricks/ball/paddle are drawn but after the background and particles. New ripples are placed by simply placing a new circle on the filter bitmapdata at the position of the ball each frame.

The concept was not my idea, however. I think it stemmed from a discussion on the mochiads forums, which can be found here.

Well, quite simply, your ball shall not pass.
sodap
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 04:46:37 AM »

magnetic brick that attracts the ball. Can be covered by other bricks but the ball can still be attracted to that area.

rubber brick that bounces the ball back at high speed

Christian223
Level 1

DRAGON was robot

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 02:30:08 PM »

Hey, this is about design, there is not point in being amusing if you cannot use it in a game Tongue

It's a technique for idea generation, maybe I didn't give details, but they are a great starting point. Now try answering the questions "how would a ninja block behave?", "how would a Gandalf block behave?".

speeder
BANNED
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 02:36:15 PM »

Indeed, you are correct...

It is that the forum medium made me think otherwise for some reason...

So... storm away!

\o/

Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 11:36:39 PM »

For this month's Klik of the Month I thought I'd try making a 2-player Ikaruga/Arkanoid mash-up. Basically, your bricks are your life and you try to protect them via shooting. To hit the ball you have to be of the other color, and if you shoot your opponent while he's the other color he'll get stunned. It's not balanced enough, but with some tweaking (and some power-ups maybe) I could see it turning out semi-functional.

Ikaroid 2

speeder
BANNED
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2010, 10:22:09 PM »

It complained of lots of missing dlls Sad

Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 08:56:45 AM »

a brick that flips the view between 2d and 3d
a brick that behaves like a conway's life cell
a brick that is made of soft sticky material such that the ball sticks upon touching it
a brick that dodges the ball
a brick that flops down with box2d physics

noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2010, 10:44:26 AM »

A brick which symbolises the struggle of the working class to own their own home in the post-GFC world.

Dang, you could have a lot of fun building around that idea...

In game, brick functions ordinarily until the introduction of gold brick. Brick is attracted to gold brick because of its status and invulnerability to the economic wrecking ball that is the ball. Brick aspires to be a gold brick. Brick takes a second job, learns investment strategies, signs up for Amway.

Unfortunately, due to its middle-class habits, brick's expenses always rise to match its income. Brick takes on liabilities that it does not have the income to afford, in an effort to appear luxurious like gold brick. The debt catches up to brick, and brick is forced to take out long-term loans, sacrificing luxury for crushing debt. Eventually, brick is forced to resign to becoming a gray brick, living in suburbia in an identical house, along with all of the other gray bricks...

Sorry, did I go off on a tangent again? Uh...how about a one-way brick?
voidSkipper
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2010, 01:59:30 AM »

Why did nobody gives you kudos for that post? That post was wonderful.
bvanevery
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2010, 05:12:33 PM »

Bricks that are pushed through sand.  Intensify the physical simulation of the breakout.  Such bricks that are part of an Egyptian tomb or other crypt.  These ideas from a long standing sore spot of being laughed at for suggesting such things a decade ago.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic