Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411513 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 01:39:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Salvage | A lonely death on a bitter planet.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23
Print
Author Topic: The Salvage | A lonely death on a bitter planet.  (Read 139657 times)
Peter
Level 0

Under the tutelage of Randy Tutelage

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 19, 2010, 01:24:40 PM »

Epileptic

This looks incredible. Seems very threatening and powerful. I thought you were going for a coppery/rusted look with the main character, though.
Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: November 19, 2010, 01:49:46 PM »

I thought you were going for a coppery/rusted look with the main character, though.

This ship doesn't belong to the main character, it belongs to the stevedores you hire to lift cargo for you.  They are relatively low on the pecking order, but still upper class compared to a lowly salvage prospector like the player's character.

Keep in mind this isn't yet finished, I need to add small details now to take some of the slick off it, and other things like engine thrust beams.

Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: November 21, 2010, 08:52:46 AM »

http://scutanddestroy.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/salvage-stevedore-tug-vignette.png

^^^ Totally worth clicking for enlarged badassery. ^^^

So that's the Stevedore's tug taken care of, mostly.  I suppose it will need some sort of animation, but I'll probably keep it simple, just linear motions of the grippers and arms closing in or something.

Peter
Level 0

Under the tutelage of Randy Tutelage

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 21, 2010, 09:19:02 AM »

Very impressive, as always.

What's that beam of light on the right?
Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: November 21, 2010, 09:31:10 AM »

Very impressive, as always.

What's that beam of light on the right?

Thanks!  The beam of light is the sun/local star.

RCIX
« Reply #165 on: November 21, 2010, 07:14:24 PM »

I still say that it being lit from below looks weird, especially when placed in that scene.
Lizardheim
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 21, 2010, 07:57:03 PM »

Reflected light off of the surface of the planet?
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: November 22, 2010, 01:53:29 AM »

I disagree, I think the lighting is excellent. Gives it a very looming presence up above.

The art style here is rather unlike anything I've seen before, very unique. I'm keeping a close eye on this thread.
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: November 22, 2010, 02:05:03 AM »

It also has a series of huge spotlights on it's underbelly, which probably contributes to the lighting from below. personally I like the lighting.

Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: November 25, 2010, 04:10:03 PM »

http://scutanddestroy.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/salvage-personal-digger-angles.png

The player will be equipped with a basic digging tool at all times.  It can't clear much rock, but it's always there for you, and will be handy for fine tuning work and operating in delicate regions where massive holes could be dangerous.

For some reason this gif is outputting way slower than I've set it to look.  It still shows the basic animation, so post it I shall.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: November 25, 2010, 05:03:39 PM »

Most drawing programs have a speed you can set when you "export as gif" or whatever.

It looks cool, although I didn't expect him to have an advanced looking thing as his main tool he has all the time.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 25, 2010, 05:31:40 PM »

I'd expect it to spin, digging out a big tunnel, not just standing straight like that.
Rykuth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 25, 2010, 07:12:17 PM »

I'm having a tough time imagining how this tool would look while in use. Would it remain extended while you were digging with it, or would it pop in and out multiple times taking little chunks out each time?
Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: November 25, 2010, 08:01:37 PM »

You would knock out little chunks as you go.  There might be upgrades for it, but mostly it's intended to be for fine tuning and desperation, not your primary digger.

XRA
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: November 26, 2010, 10:17:28 AM »

I like the look of the tool but it makes me want to see some rapidly pulsating pattern like on an oscilloscope.
Despite being a slow and detailed tool for digging, maybe the pulsing pattern could be feedback from the type of rock/element that it is sensing as you dig?

Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: November 27, 2010, 04:41:02 PM »

http://scutanddestroy.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/salvage-deployed-walls-01.png

I've been waffling on the wall/barricade designs for a long time now.  I think perhaps I was overthinking it.  Anyway, after ditching a pile of concepts, I've got this one, which is a nice simple building-block system.  Everything is arranged on a grid, so you'll just select the block you want and plunk it into position.  You'll be able to stick in doors, and probably a few other doo-dads.

I've got an idea for plotting out constructions which I'll draw up in a later post I think.  It amounts to an ability to 'sketch out' where you want tools set up and structures built, so that you can plan the big picture a bit before you spend resources just whacking things down.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: November 27, 2010, 05:25:11 PM »

Would you have to make it structurally sound?
You could have girders you can walk through and maybe some alien hover pads to help support bridges over deep chasms.
Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: November 27, 2010, 06:13:37 PM »

Would you have to make it structurally sound?

I might implement a rule that forces you to start a new construction touching the ground, but I think if it turned into a bridge-building game that would be getting too complicated.

It's not to say that wouldn't be a really cool thing to see, but making structural physics stuff actually work properly can be a huge undertaking.

I suppose the game will need a spin-off:  'Space Colony Civil Engineer', where you build shelters, tunnels, bridges etc to supply and protect the constant new arrivals of meatsacks--er I mean colonists--that keep arriving, a la Dwarf Fortress.

PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: November 27, 2010, 07:12:58 PM »

^^^ Totally worth clicking for enlarged badassery. ^^^

Ye gods man, this is @@
Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: November 29, 2010, 07:05:00 AM »

http://scutanddestroy.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/salvage-lava-pool-mockup-01.png

http://scutanddestroy.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/salvage-lava-pool-mockup-02.png

I worked on some magma textures.  Liquid textures in general kinda scare me, so magma seemed very daunting.  I think I ended up with something pretty good.  It's got that mix of cool/dark, and hot/luminescent stone which makes magma so interesting visually.

The mockups at the bottom of the set are pretty hasty, I just wanted to get an idea how the texture could look in situ.  The shaded version at the bottom just has the terrain shader roughly blended over the magma, I think it works, but will need more experimenting to see how to tune it correctly.

I've thought about how to animate the magma, and other fluids for that matter.  The 'Outstanding Pixel Art' thread reminded me about palette shifting, which might be worth trying, except I don't think modern graphics cards support it natively, so it would need some bit of code from jkd to operate.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic