Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

April 30, 2024, 11:13:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Salvage | A lonely death on a bitter planet.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 23
Print
Author Topic: The Salvage | A lonely death on a bitter planet.  (Read 139654 times)
Niclas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 19, 2010, 02:27:23 PM »

This looks just great. Subscribed to your blog. Good luck with getting the engine done.

I wish for eerie encounters in the final game that are not posted before, by the way.

Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 20, 2010, 06:58:34 AM »

I'm not liking how the ceiling of the cave is just black.  I feel like it should have the ground texture as well.

The transition there looks really awkward to me.

Other than, it looks good.
Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: December 20, 2010, 09:27:13 PM »

http://scutanddestroy.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/salvage-water-mockup-002.png

http://scutanddestroy.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/salvage-water-mockup-0031.png

http://scutanddestroy.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/salvage-water-mockup-001.png

It's overcast tonight, so my chances of witnessing the eclipse seem to be diminishing.   Concerned

As part of my clock-watching I have fiddled around with a water mockup that looks pretty skippy.  Though I might still try another method.

The images you see above are to show how I processed the water layer.  The top image is the raw pixel art, full opactity.  Middle is at 50% opacity, and the last image is with 'dodge' applied.

I'm thinking in-engine this can be done with first a shader pass that puts the bands into the water, and then the light streaks and bubbles can be applied after, using the top and bottom edges of the water as spawning points.

Outcast Orange
Level 0

Orange as a turtle.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: December 21, 2010, 10:36:01 AM »

Wait, are there going to be water physics?

If so, that is really really ambitious.

My dead blog: http://outcastorange.blogspot.com/<br /><br />Current Project: Huh?
Taugeshtu
Level 2

Semi-dormant.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: December 21, 2010, 10:59:06 AM »

If so, that is really really ambitious.
There is nothing hard in 2d water physics. Water levels in different points, smooth and inertioned drainage from point to point - and here it is, 2d water simulation. Nothing serious unless you gonna simulate whole ocean that way Smiley

BTW, there is possibility to do it using GPU - throught shaders. All you've got to do - write fast implementation of pixel reading to apply shader-calculated values. Still, it's possible to link physic_simulation texture with shader, that draws water...

P.S.
Every time I look this topic I become disapointed.... I understand, it's a big love for TIG - doing stuff in pixel art, but... Man, you're one of the people, who REALLY could make beautiful 2D, and you're converting awesome concepts into pixels... It's terrible...
Think about it that way: there are A LOT of pixelated indie games, but there are only few of them, which aren't drawn in pixel art. And forgive me if I'm wrong, but most of the popular indie games ARE NOT pixel art: Gish, World of Goo, Braid, Machinarium... It seems to me, just seems to me, that most of developers use pixels because they cannot draw as beautiful sprites, as they imagine them... You definitely are one, who could.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 11:08:58 AM by Taugeshtu » Logged

We LOVE you. We MADE you.
ink.inc
« Reply #225 on: December 21, 2010, 11:55:47 AM »

Disagree.
Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: December 21, 2010, 02:32:06 PM »

Wait, are there going to be water physics?

There will be fluid dynamics, but don't expect something on the level of Pixeljunk Shooter.  Particles are horsepower hogs, even on modern machines, so we are going to keep the fidelity at a level that feels plausible without going overboard.

Every time I look this topic I become disapointed.... I understand, it's a big love for TIG - doing stuff in pixel art, but... Man, you're one of the people, who REALLY could make beautiful 2D, and you're converting awesome concepts into pixels... It's terrible...
Think about it that way: there are A LOT of pixelated indie games, but there are only few of them, which aren't drawn in pixel art. And forgive me if I'm wrong, but most of the popular indie games ARE NOT pixel art: Gish, World of Goo, Braid, Machinarium... It seems to me, just seems to me, that most of developers use pixels because they cannot draw as beautiful sprites, as they imagine them... You definitely are one, who could.

Well thanks for the vote of confidence.  I'm not at all opposed to doing other art-styles, but there are good reasons why I chose pixel art for this project:
1) It's relatively fast and easy to keep consistent.  If I was painting every graphic and sprite in high resolution with brush tools it would take a lot more time.

2) I have (some) prior experience doing game graphics in pixel art.  This makes it a medium I'm a bit more comfortable with, and that helps me maintain the confidence to keep on top of such a large project.

3) Pixel art scales nicely.  This game will allow the player to zoom in and out at will, and the fact that pixel art is intentionally made to look attractive even when the pixels are evident means it works to my advantage.  Vector graphics would be really cool to work with, and I'd love to learn how to draw art with whatever tools The Behemoth and other studios/artists use (Castle Crashers, Boomlands etc), however I have zero experience with vector painting in that style, and to abandon a project for such a small reason doesn't make any sense.  I can learn that stuff on a different game.

4)  I like it.  This is the most important thing.  It's more important than anything else really, and it's good to remind one's self of that occasionally.  I'm doing this because I like to see the results.  Cliffski just posted a wonderfully well-timed blog post titled "This is why your indie game isn't finished" (http://positech.co.uk/cliffsblog/?p=943).  To quote reason #5: "Because you keep jumping platforms/ technology to keep up with whats trendy (d0n’t)".  On balance, I'm guilty of a couple other reasons on that list... Wink

So yeah, there are plenty of popular games that don't use pixel art, but for every one of those I'm sure I can quickly find other hits that did use it (VVVVVVV, Canabalt, Spelunky, Retro City Rampage...).  Even if that wasn't the case, and every cool game used some other graphic medium, my inner contrarion jerk (let's call him The Prussian) would probably choose pixels just to flip off the masses.  I'm sure it's my inner pleasure-seeker (let's call that one The Westphalian) that has much more to do with my choice; it looks good and it's fun.

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: December 21, 2010, 03:42:31 PM »

...it looks good and it's fun.

Hey, those are the reasons I play games!  Grin
Taugeshtu
Level 2

Semi-dormant.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: December 21, 2010, 04:36:36 PM »

Well thanks for the vote of confidence.
It's your game, your time and your decision and I respect it Smiley
I've just fell in love with your high-quality concepts a bit...
Maybe sometime hero will come to make HD-remake of "Salvage"?)

Still, gameplay description makes me happy with a lot of interesting possibilities, aspects and stuff ^^

We LOVE you. We MADE you.
Relix
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 22, 2010, 12:19:54 AM »

And forgive me if I'm wrong, but most of the popular indie games ARE NOT pixel art: Gish, World of Goo, Braid, Machinarium...

Cave Story says hi.

And now that I had to post, I've been following this since you posted the first mock ups on the mock up thread, looks hella awesome - just have to hope that you can materialize those concepts into something playable.
And I think the middle water looks the nicest, but if taking the fact that's it's dusty planet, then the third makes more sense.

Outcast Orange
Level 0

Orange as a turtle.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: December 30, 2010, 01:35:57 PM »

Cave Story, Spelunky, Super Meat Boy, Knytt Stories, La-Mulana, and Cortex Command.

Sorry for contributing to the derail.

BTW, your art is amazing.

EDIT:

Also Fez.

My dead blog: http://outcastorange.blogspot.com/<br /><br />Current Project: Huh?
Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #231 on: January 10, 2011, 01:03:18 AM »

http://soundcloud.com/chris-tg/sets/the-salvage-rough-audio-cuts/

Hey folks, I've been off visiting friends in Sweden and it's paused work on The Salvage.  I'll officially be back to Canada at the beginning of Feb, but I'll probably be able to work on a few things before then.
In the meantime, Chris Geehan from Hyperduck has conveniently recorded some rough piano noodlings which sound really promising.  Have a listen, read the track notes.   Smiley

XRA
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: January 10, 2011, 01:27:55 AM »

those sound great! Smiley

AndrewFM
Level 2

whoops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #233 on: January 10, 2011, 04:31:13 AM »

Those sound excellent so far. Very calm, mysterious, and ambient style going there.

Regarding Chris' quality concerns... where is the microphone being placed when recording? For an upright piano, if you mount a unidirectional microphone directly behind the piano, facing the back board, you'll get almost zero background interference. Though, if he's using a grand (or baby grand) piano, things are very different... here's a good article explaining ways to record one.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 04:36:38 AM by AndrewFM » Logged
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: January 10, 2011, 04:49:24 AM »

Thanks Peter Smiley we appreciate the love and the share! Unlike most children my age (24), I love to share. And thank you XRA for the kind words, deeply appreciated though the sound is in its infancy at the moment.

@AndrewFM: That is incredibly nice of you to share! This is a tall upright Yamaha, so it emulates the presence of a grand. From the article below you can see we have a condenser mic hanging over the top of the piano pointing into the middle of it with a figure of eight polar pattern setting. And to the left and right of it we have dynamic microphones set up, though I was reading that dynamic microphones are not really useful for piano recording, which was no surprise, but it was the extra we had so we figured we would try it.

I think the results we got with just the condenser microphone alone were better, though these recordings are all three microphones. We didn't try with any of the other polar pattern settings, yet. Also, I should say (though I do mention in the posts) I used a dampening pedal on these recordings, which is something that does sound nice, but trying to get it's full potential in a recording is the challenge we are planning on meeting.

Here is the first two blog posts about this adventure http://www.hyperduck.co.uk
And I have a TIGsource thread up with it as well here: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=16900.0 , so you don't even have to leave the comfortable confines of the TIGsource forums!

James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #235 on: January 10, 2011, 08:51:42 AM »

Where in Canada are you from, Scut? If you don't mind my asking of course. If you are currently avoiding the over zealous and often privacy ignoring Indie Game Media news hounds then I understand.

I'm in the Ottawa area myself.

Pike `n Shot  the first pshmup ever made. Twitter:@JamesEdSmith
Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: January 10, 2011, 10:12:34 AM »

I grew up in Niagara, went to school/worked in Toronto, and now I kinda bounce between the two areas.

Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 10, 2011, 08:03:26 PM »

Yes another Torontonian! Also any news about the engine/coding? What's going on with that.
Helmeted
Level 0

Death Panelist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #238 on: January 11, 2011, 12:24:42 PM »

Looking, and now sounding, good!

I used to go to Niagra-on-the-Lake all the time when I was a kid. Living in Brampton now, myself, and am often in the city.

hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: January 23, 2011, 02:41:37 PM »

Heyy folks,

It has been a bit silent but this Sunday, we made some noise. Part 3 of the Salvage Sound Diaries has been revealed! Go check out the updates and new music previews!

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 23
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic