Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 12:01:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Let's All Draw Character Concepts!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Let's All Draw Character Concepts!  (Read 5169 times)
petra
« on: October 09, 2010, 11:12:57 PM »

Like many of us, I suffer from a rather crippling problem wherein I criticize, scrutinise and nit pick my art, leaving myself feeling too deflated to continue, and seldom getting any work done! This often stems from having an imagination that far exceeds my current abilities as well as a perfectionist nature, so nothing I make ever compares to the grand ideas I have swimming around my in my mind. But I was thinking - perhaps I would be less harsh a judge if I gave other people's ideas a whirl for change. Perhaps they'll lose that 'precious' element I can never capture in my own work, and having a clearcut description will help for sure as my own ideas are often quite out of focus. Perhaps I'll be able to relax for once and just draw!

Or it could just make it worse, I don't know.

I know the members here have some pretty wild imaginations, so whether you've had a character concept in mind for a while or feel like dreaming one up for this thread, go ahead and post a description! Physical attributes, distinguishing features, personality, background, etc. It can be as silly or as serious as you see fit - it doesn't matter! Although silly things might help maintain that carefree atmosphere I was going for.

Let's make this a thread that everyone can take part in! I personally think it would be real interesting to see multiple individuals' interpretations of the same concept. If anyone feels inspired by anything they see in this thread please, don't be shy; draw! Everyone should have a go at realising one another's ideas! Let's all improve together! Adventure! Mystery! Yeah!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 12:15:11 AM by petra » Logged
PANPOMMA
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 12:11:45 AM »

I imagine this is how the thread works, forgive me if it does not! Gentleman

NAME: Horrid

PHYSICAL ATTRIBUTES: Is a fat, white cat, but you wouldn't know it, for she is always dirty.

DISTINGUISHING FEATURES: A "x" scar across her nose, a crooked, extra long tail, a collar with a moon symbol on it.

PERSONALITY: Highly intelligent, always grumpy, can sense when people are in trouble and can be quite helpful, but her help has to be rewarded or she'll hold a grudge, likes to think she is "cat royalty".

BACKGROUND: Owned by the most powerful witch in the world, she has been touched by magic since birth. She comes from a long line of witch cats, most of them bred by the witch in question. Her life is not an easy one, often facing down transformed mice and alerting her owner to witch hunting assassins. If she had a nicer name it is forgotten, the witch just calls her Horrid.

TYPE: NORMAL/PSYCHIC
STARTING MOVES: Teleport, Scratch, Rest, Leer

Cheesy

Ahem, yes well, I just made Horrid up for this thread, a fairly easy one to start, I hope. I will be joining in on someone elses concept!
Simon Andersson
Level 4

I'm not depressed.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 12:22:55 PM »

I'll try to draw something later, but for now:

Dude's a robot, a sad robot. See. He is one of the evil corporations latest types of killing robots. He is programmed to kill and can do nothing about it. Though he doesn't enjoy or like it. Mixed with some feelings of indifference, he also have what some of us would call a consciousness about his actions. He's just newly created and want to learn about the world, want to know why he was built, and what the purpose of the ongoing destruction around him is.

He is not what the corporation wanted him to be. He is eager to learn why this is.

He should look like a robot orginally meant to kill. If some body part or anything doesn't fit that function, it has have been built onto him by himself. He is tecnological and smart, but he doesn't have many tools to his desposal, so anything done by himself might look alittle bit amateurish, amateurish but workable.

He is a massproduced robot, but no other of his kind think the same way he does. He wants to know why. He currently lurks around in the company's ventilation system, trying to find out it's big secret.

I've tried to draw this character, but I always failed miserably. Would love to see anybody else give him a crack Smiley
Contrary
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 03:07:09 PM »

I remember someone saying that when Valve was making TF2 their focus was to have attention drawn to the head and upper body, as that is the key to making memorable characters. In my experience I've found that some characters have the focus spread all over the place and my eyes are rolling all over it and am not comfortable settling my steely gaze anywhere. I think chibi is a very streamlined visual representation as it puts more emphasis on head and chest, and is widely used because of its readability. On the other hand there are character designs that aren't chibi or even have an emphasis on arms and legs and are good as well. What do you guys think about visual focus?
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 04:19:55 PM »

unfortunately I completely missed the pronoun "she" Huh?

I guess it's kind of androgynous?

anyway what an excellent idea for a thread

petra
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 07:42:42 AM »

I still don't know how to Photoshop so I just pretended I was back in MS Paint.

Meow, et cetera.

Thanks for contributing fellas! Smiley
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 04:27:13 PM »

I'll try to draw something later, but for now:

Dude's a robot, a sad robot. See. He is one of the evil corporations latest types of killing robots. He is programmed to kill and can do nothing about it. Though he doesn't enjoy or like it. Mixed with some feelings of indifference, he also have what some of us would call a consciousness about his actions. He's just newly created and want to learn about the world, want to know why he was built, and what the purpose of the ongoing destruction around him is.

He is not what the corporation wanted him to be. He is eager to learn why this is.

He should look like a robot orginally meant to kill. If some body part or anything doesn't fit that function, it has have been built onto him by himself. He is tecnological and smart, but he doesn't have many tools to his desposal, so anything done by himself might look alittle bit amateurish, amateurish but workable.

He is a massproduced robot, but no other of his kind think the same way he does. He wants to know why. He currently lurks around in the company's ventilation system, trying to find out it's big secret.

I've tried to draw this character, but I always failed miserably. Would love to see anybody else give him a crack Smiley

Sweet. I love misunderstood killer robots.

See, he has a cape because... it's a reappropriated tarp? I was thinking that he would have two gun-arms but stole a trashed hand because he had to sneak around n' stuff. Meanwhile, the rest of his robot brethren are trying to shoot him down despite him wanting to be non-violent; so he can choose whether to sneak past them or destroy them.

My character concept (off the top of my head)

Description: A female member of an underground resistance against the freedom-stifling government of a dystopian city. Hot-tempered, she dons armor appropriated from the city's guard forces, though not so much that it impedes her freedom of movement. She wields a large railgun, but can run fast while fighting due to having nano-augmented strength.

Distinguishing physical attributes: Some scars here and there, clothing more functional than good-looking, thin and somewhat muscular. Long or short hair, wears a headband.

ink.inc
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 05:40:58 PM »

Say hello to Sadbot.

A ball-joint based machine, capable of flexible movement and surprising agility. His hobbies include death from above, termination of rebel forces, and contemplating the nature of his existence.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 05:46:07 PM by John Sandoval » Logged
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 03:55:00 PM »

A tuba player, he is a short fellow draped in raggy clothing who plays his tuba on the street in hopes of being able to eat at least once a week. The young man has a mouse he carries around in one of his many ripped pockets who scurries around his clothing as it pleases. his dirty blonde hair usually has gum in it from some asshole who decided to put it there while he was sleeping, so his hair looks unevenly cut from trying to remove the sticky torments. His big military boots he stole are ragged from use. he is sad too, thats also important.

LazyWaffle
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 04:16:48 PM »

SundownKid: Looks pretty sweet, but you should remove the cape, it looks kind of misplaced.

John: I don't think you need a generic symbol like a tear to depict the sadness, it's already conveyed quite well without it. Still, nice design.

Then again, I'm a horrible artist, so I'm in no place to criticize others Shrug
ink.inc
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 05:59:32 PM »

Oh. That's his eye socket. He has two. One on top, and one below.
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 07:38:39 PM »

SundownKid: Looks pretty sweet, but you should remove the cape, it looks kind of misplaced.

I just put it there on a whim. I thought it would differentiate him from the other robot forces, and it might have some kind of emotional significance like if it was covering the body of someone he killed. It might even mean he wants to be human. Also, it looks cool. Cool

A tuba player, he is a short fellow draped in raggy clothing who plays his tuba on the street in hopes of being able to eat at least once a week. The young man has a mouse he carries around in one of his many ripped pockets who scurries around his clothing as it pleases. his dirty blonde hair usually has gum in it from some asshole who decided to put it there while he was sleeping, so his hair looks unevenly cut from trying to remove the sticky torments. His big military boots he stole are ragged from use. he is sad too, thats also important.

Crud, I'm on a roll.

Bandages
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 07:44:05 PM »

I am stealing PANPOMMOFO's format

NAME: Davine

PHYSICAL ATTRIBUTES: A tall, elegant, and whispy thin young lady with parchment white skin and blue eyes.

DISTINGUISHING FEATURES: Her hair is alive. She wears mirrors as jewlery, and incorporates them into her dresses.

PERSONALITY: MYSTTEERRRIOOOUUUSSSS and calm

BACKGROUND: MYSSTTERERRRERERETIIOEEEUUUSSSSS but probably some kind of fancy pants fairy royalty bullshit

TYPE: WATER/DARK
STARTING MOVES: KNOCKOUT PUNCH, BIND, HARDEN, STRINGSHOT Tongue

ink.inc
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2010, 07:46:40 PM »

So basically, Bayonetta.
Bandages
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »

Oh wow

thanks douche
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2010, 07:52:35 PM »

So basically, Bayonetta.

I dunno, he didn't say anything about using guns.  Noir

ink.inc
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2010, 09:43:56 PM »

Hey come on now! Character with living hair, tall, elegant, pale skin... a mysterious aura... there's some similarities there, you have to admit. But reading my post, it did sound like I was knocking your shit; my bad... just mentally replace that period with a question mark and it'll sound a lot less confrontational.

Don't want to step on anyone's toes. 
Bandages
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2010, 09:51:24 PM »

I was thinking more along the lines of Cibo from Blame with living hair.
petra
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2010, 01:45:15 AM »

This was a blast to draw, though I completely missed your last sentence there - sorry! Oh well, this can be the guy's much pluckier twin!

Also, I've decided to name the mouse 'Tubaba'.

Say hello to Sadbot.

A ball-joint based machine, capable of flexible movement and surprising agility. His hobbies include death from above, termination of rebel forces, and contemplating the nature of his existence.
Sweet robot. I'm getting more 'Introspectivebot' vibes than a straight-up 'Sadbot', though! I wanna give this one ago but I'm so dreadful at drawing mechanical things.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 01:59:30 AM by petra » Logged
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2010, 08:15:16 PM »

A woman with a stylized, high collar that extends up to just under her eyes. She has olive skin and heavily-lidded brown eyes, with the rest of her face hidden. Her otherwise plain clothes are a nondescript beige to blend in with her bleached, dusty environment. She wields a crossbow made of bones and dead tree branches, and lives in a dead world, near a pond that is full of water that has been frozen in place like glass, but is warm to the touch. She is one of the last people left alive on the near-deserted Earth. It was decimated by a war between two races: gas-mask-wearing ghosts that move by possessing masses of worms, and sentient pipe systems that can grow and split at will in any direction. (Their mode of defense is impaling things on themselves or splitting/bursting to release any of a number of unpleasant or dangerous substances, including rats, magma, various acids, various bases, locusts, blood, and radioactive water.)

There are a mere two people left on Earth, all hundreds of miles away from one another: a fat, bespectacled scientist with horrifying burn scars, and a comatose, albino young woman who is a host for a seemingly endless amount of parasitic, kudzu-like vines. The scientist has not been killed yet because of the concrete golems he has built by collaborating with a Hebrew sage (killed by a spray of syringes spewing from a pipemaster). The host woman is still alive because the vines have spread enough to choke out the worms and grab and crush the pipes. The crossbow woman is the only one left alive purely out of luck and athletic skill.

edit: I spell bad. Sad
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 08:33:00 PM by Paint by Numbers » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic