Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411530 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 02:38:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessShould I sign this Contract?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Should I sign this Contract?  (Read 2106 times)
LiamBarden
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2010, 07:29:09 AM »

Many of you have probably heard of Yoyogames, they make the popular 'Game Maker' game creation software. Recently they have been trying to branch out and publish games on platforms such as the iPhone and Sony PSP. I'm lucky enough to have one of my games chosen to be one of the first published, and they've sent me this contract to sign. Im only 18 and not in this for the money, and of course there will be plenty people more experienced than me on this forum. I was just wondering if anybody sees anything fishy. Thanks for the help

YoYo Games Store submission agreement
The “YoYo Games Store” is a service run by YoYo Games, which may allow you to make money from your Games by allowing YoYo Games to “Use” them. For this purpose the term “Use” means sell, market, promote, distribute, modify and adapt.
The following terms therefore apply to all Games that you submit to the YoYo Games Store and incorporate and should be read in conjunction with the main YoYo Games Terms and Conditions (http://www.yoyogames.com/terms). All capitalised terms have the same meaning as in those Terms and Conditions.
By signing this agreement or uploading your Game to the YoYo Games Store you agree and accept that:

Rights of Use
 If YoYo Games accepts your Game for use in the YoYo Games Store you grant it the EXCLUSIVE right to Use your Game (and any modification or adaptation of it) in any country in the World on and in any media or platform (e.g. Sony PSP, Google Android, Apple IPhone). This means that you will not allow and have not allowed anyone else to use your Game (or any modification or adaptation of it) and we will not need to get any further approvals from you for those Uses.
 As with all Games, you are committing to us that this is your original work and that it does not infringe any copyrights or other Intellectual Property Rights. If it does, then you will accept liability and indemnify YoYo Games from any costs, penalties and other liabilities.
 YoYo Games can use screen shots and video sequences to promote your Game free of charge.
 YoYo Games reserves the right to modify the gameplay or assets to better target different devices or markets.
 YoYo Games retains ownership of all additional assets created during the publishing and development process (e.g. any art, design, code and audio work). These additional assets may not be used without the express permission of YoYo Games.
Submission Process
 If we accept your Game we’ll formally tell you within 30 days of you uploading it. If we don’t tell you, then the full rights automatically return to you. YoYo Games reserves the right to not provide reasons for non acceptance of a Game.
 Once we “accept” your Game, we aim to Use your game within 60 days unless we request changes in that period. Should we request any changes to your Game then the 60 day period is suspended from the point we make that request. If we miss this deadline the rights granted above will return to you UNLESS we formally request another extension in writing or email (in which case we will get another 30 days to start using it).
Submission Criteria
 When you upload the Game for consideration you must upload the source code for the Game (.GMK File or similar) as well as any other files required to make the Game playable. A written description of the files and any directory assignments is to be included with the submission.
 You must be over the age of 18 years or else have your parent’s or guardian’s consent to submit your Games to the YoYo Games App Store. By submitting your game you therefore confirm that you are over 18 years of age or else have your parent’s or guardian’s consent and that your parent or guardian has read and agreed to these terms. By submitting a Game you confirm that you understand these terms or have had them explained by a parent or guardian who does.

Sales, Revenue Share and Payment
 For all of our work associated selling, marketing, promoting, distributing, modifying and adapting your Game we will be entitled to receive and will take a commission of 50% of the Net Revenues received by us as a result of such Use. For this purpose “Net Revenues” means the total sums actually and directly received by YoYo Games LESS (i) applicable taxes; (ii) credits, charge backs and refunds; (iii) any related third party commissions; and (iv) any ratings, design, development, production, sales and marketing costs as described below. The remaining 50% will be your “Revenue Share”.
 YoYo Games will make all payments of Revenue Share due to you to a Paypal account. You therefore agree that you will arrange for a Paypal account to be established and will provide us with full details in order that we may make payments to it. You will be responsible for your Paypal account and any sums held in it.
 YoYo Games will be responsible for invoicing, payment collections and pricing concerning its Use of the Game but will only be responsible for collecting Sales Tax within the European Union. If any sales taxes are applicable outside of the European Union then you are responsible for these.
 YoYo Games may incur expenditure on design, development, production, sales and marketing in relation to the Game and will deduct these costs from the gross revenues to calculate the Net Revenues. This specific deduction will not be more than $5,000 in total unless you specifically agree.
 You are responsible for all taxes and any other duties to/from you as a result of the payment of Revenue Share to you.
 We’ll pay you 60 days after the date we launch the Game (if sums are due), and then every 30 days thereafter, 60 days in arrears. In the event we do not get paid by the 3rd party distributor involved, YoYo Games will not be required to make payment and reserves the right to alter payment terms on giving you reasonable notice.
 If your Game makes less than $100 in net revenues in any given 30 days we will “roll over the amount” into the following month.
Miscellaneous
 YoYo Games will provide the End User License Agreement for your Games.
 YoYo Games will be responsible for obtaining required “content Ratings” (if any). You agree to provide reasonable co-operation in support of obtaining these ratings.
You can terminate this Agreement at any time by giving YoYo Games 90 days notice in writing. YoYo Games reserve the right to change the terms and conditions applicable to the YoYo Games Store and Games submitted for it from time to time and these changes shall become effective immediately upon being accessible from www.yoyogames.com/[yoyogamestoreterms].
Ant
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 08:02:51 AM »

Firstly I just want to say that I have no experience whatsoever of this kind of thing, so take whatever I say with a big pinch of salt.

I would say accepting the offer would completely depend on the game they are after (it might be useful if you posted the game in question). From what I can gather the contract seems to suggest that you will pretty much hand over complete control of the game to YoYo, so you won't be able to make the game available for download anywhere else and YoYo can do whatever they want with it. Even if you later decide to update the game you can only make that updated version available through YoYo and only with their permission.

If they are after a game that you don't really want to expand or update and didn't spend years finely crafting it then 50% revenue doesn't seem too bad to me, though bare in mind that they have complete control of the selling price of the game and can deduct "expenditure" costs if they so wish. But if you put your heart and soul into the game and have big plans for it yourself then I personally wouldn't touch the contract.

So basically if it's a throwaway game that you don't really care about then it might just be worth the risk. I imagine all of the initially picked games will get a lot of exposure what with the YoYo store having so few games and with it just opening so it might be your best chance to get a quick buck out of a game that you never planned on selling.

Sorry I can't give a more definitive answer but I hoped that helped. Congratulations on getting your game chosen and good luck with it! I'm a Game Maker user myself so I'm very eager to hear how you get on. Coffee
LiamBarden
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 08:47:44 AM »

Thanks for that, it helped. The game in question is Ninjammin Beat-Jitsu
http://www.yoyogames.com/games/121764-ninjammin-beat-jitsu#
It only took me 3 months to make and I dont have any real plans for its future so I am inclined towards making the deal.
However I am a little worried about the paragraph on liability. The game doesnt use any copyrighted material but we're still talking about a lot of money here. Is there anything I should watch out for? Does anyone have experience with such things?
Thanks in advance for any help
Makai
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 11:27:18 AM »

The item on copyright and IP infringement is pretty common in these type of contracts from what I know.

It's their way of covering their asses if they get sued by someone claiming your game infringes on their IP. It's your game, so it's your responsibility and you'll be the one to blame if shit blows over, not them.

But really, if you were releasing the game yourself that would all be in your hands anyway.
LiamBarden
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 12:54:40 PM »

But really, if you were releasing the game yourself that would all be in your hands anyway.

Thats a very good point
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 01:21:50 PM »

If you had no further plans for the game and are okay "handing it over", then do so.  If you don't like the idea of losing intellectual property control, don't.

Sounds like you're in a position to agree, though.  50% is a hefty cut, but there are worse, and you won't have to do anything more to receive it.

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
speeder
BANNED
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 05:21:40 PM »

I would say to you not sign only because it is YoYo games.

All my dealings with them were VERY bad, their workers are really bone-headed.

I still think that is a shame that Overmars sold GM to them (or something like that).

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 05:37:35 PM »

I would say to you not sign only because it is YoYo games.

All my dealings with them were VERY bad, their workers are really bone-headed.

I still think that is a shame that Overmars sold GM to them (or something like that).

this

it's not the contract, the contract is okay. it's just that yoyo games has a reputation of being really incompetent. they tend to make decisions which make people go 'what were they thinking?'

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic