Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 08:15:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHack/Run (Procedurally generated Zelda/Geometry Wars Mashup)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Hack/Run (Procedurally generated Zelda/Geometry Wars Mashup)  (Read 6122 times)
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2010, 07:06:54 AM »

Actually, I've decided to go a different route.  As it is, it's too annoying to keep refreshing the shop to have it generate the kind of weapon you want, so I'm going to have a build-your-own system where the player fiddles with a couple of knobs and then they buy the weapon they want (assuming they can afford it).

Recently, I've been working on more graphical effects.  I have a corruption effect, but I'm having trouble implementing it in a way that doesn't take for freaking ever. 

Maybe someone can offer a better insight into how to do it.
Currently, it goes like this:
1) Take the current screen as a bitmap
2) Encode the bitmap as a JPEG (typically after downscaling the original image)
3) Corrupt the JPEG by randomly changing random bytes
4) Display the corrupted JPEG

The encoding is obviously the slow part. I can't really see a way around it.  Other than downscaling the image a lot, it's just going to take a fair amount of time to encode it.  I think my solution is to give up on trying to glitch out the screen and to have something like the blue screen of death pop up and have that glitch out.  It looks pretty good and skips the slow portion, but I'm open to ideas.
XRA
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2010, 05:56:14 PM »

are you able to do any blend mode / alpha mask stuff? I'm not too familiar with flixel.
Maybe you could create a couple good glitched out images that work okay for tiling, then try using them as an alpha mask for the main image that things get rendered to, maybe panning and offsetting the mask quickly for a cheap noise-like effect.

Another thought is taking the raster/bitmap images of glitched out stuff and converting them to vector in flash, then grabbing the abstract jagged looking shapes and using those to create an animated vector mask for the surface flixel renders to, that might actually be pretty fast actually, if it is possible to do...maybe you could have an animation of glitchy stuff behind everything that the mask wipes away to?

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic