Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 01:39:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)best animation software?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: best animation software?  (Read 2182 times)
Sengir
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: November 15, 2010, 02:40:40 AM »

Hi guys, I tried to search another topic like this but I didn't found it...what I want to ask is: what's the best 2D animation software for you at the moment? and why? Not for pixel art, but for high resolution drawing.

I'm actually using Photoshop, but I think there are many software better than this to animate monsters, characters or visual effects..can you share your experiences?thank you!!

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 02:52:01 AM »

I actually haven't tried any of the following, but, off the top of my head, I can think of Flash (well, I have tried this one), Toonboom (for which Adam Phillips of Brackenwood fame has uploaded a number of tutorials), and Synfig, which doesn't run on my computer but is free, if money is an issue or you're against pirating the former two.

Again though, I haven't used the latter two (though I've been meaning to try 'em) and I've only minimally used the first so I wouldn't be able to say which is your best bet or anything.

Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 02:54:41 AM »

This one is great and free since recently:

http://plasticanimationpaper.com/

ezuk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 11:33:21 PM »

I’ve used Anime Studio since it was called Moho.  I like the 2D bone system and easy switch/hide layer features which are tailor-made for limited animation.  However, it does have some quirky drawing tools that I’ve never been able to master, and so I end up importing all my drawings from a better art program.

I don’t have the latest versions due to sharp increase in price when the developer sold out to Smith Micro (it would cost me more to upgrade than I paid for the program originally).  Still, it’s served me well in my amateurish attempts at short, limited animation and may be worth a look.

Flash and Toon Boom are used most often by the pros but are pricey.  For traditional animation, you might want to try Pencil 2D (http://www.pencil-animation.org/) for a free open source program.  I’ve heard it recommended but have never used it myself.

"All styles are good except for the tiresome kind." - Voltaire
Gryxitl
Level 0

Vertex Vigilante

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 08:29:12 PM »

I've used pencil for some simple stuff, lack of the ability to make loops and other of the nice things flash had since the beginning kind of gimp the program a little bit.  Otherwise it's pretty capable for frame by frame animation.

Squiggly_P
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 12:21:04 AM »

You can also take a look at Synfig if you like the idea of Flash, but can't afford to pay money for Flash (and if you don't mind using a program that will most likely crash at random times for no apparent reason... save early, save often...)

It's not up to Flash's level, but it's vector based animation, it's got a similar work flow and it's open source. The last time I used it was way way back in it's early beta stages just prior to it going open source, so it's probably much better now.
philquiet
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 04:03:25 PM »

Plastic Animation Paper is a digital tool for paper-like traditionnal animation. I use it a lot.

Flash if you have Flash, lots of tutorials everywhere. A lot of kid show is made with that these days.
Toonboom is great too. Best than Flash if you can afford it.

For non-vectorial animation, you can use After Effets. A lot of people does rigged (puppet) animation with it. For animation and video editing, I can't live without After Effects

Photoshop is the absolute WORSE. Believe me. I'm an animation student. I own all those software I mentioned. But you can animate pixel art with it, like GIF animations, it is great for that!

EDIT: Flash is not only for rigged puppet-like character (and really don't have any great tools for that either). It can do traditionnal animation too. Here's an example of an animation I made entirely in Flash:

« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 05:39:30 PM by philquiet » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic