Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 01:19:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsIGF major post-deadline updates yes/no?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: IGF major post-deadline updates yes/no?  (Read 1690 times)
Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« on: November 28, 2010, 01:55:51 AM »

I asked about this on tigIRC but didn't really get a conclusive answer so I thought I'd ask here:

Is it okay to make big updates to an IGF entry during the judging period, even adding new features?

The rules seem vague on this:

http://www.igf.com/rules.html

Updates: Entered Game updates are permitted during the Nominating Period. Patched updates from competitors via FTP or CD-ROM will be permitted throughout the judging process. However, Sponsor does not guarantee the viewing or application of every patch/update by the Nominating Committee.

I could see how it could be considered unfair to submit a half-finished game and then finish it after the deadline, as other may have chosen not to submit because they felt their game wasn't ready... However, maybe this is absolutely standard practice and totally okay? I don't know.

For context, I ask because I submitted this game and took out some parts (alternate gameplay modes) for the IGF version that were not ready at the time. Now that I have them more integrated I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to add them back in...

___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 03:16:06 AM »

As far as I know, update whatever you want.  There's just no guarantee that a judge will see your updates if they played an earlier version of your game and already scored it.
Toeofdoom
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 06:33:28 AM »

I don't really see any point in holding it back from the IGF (the rules seem to support it) - It seems a bit absurd to call it unfair when all this would have to happen:

1. Your update is seen by the judges
2. It actually delivers you a better result (prize/finalist)
3. That causes you to beat someone who did not have the same opportunity - ie. someone who also added a significant update but didn't have it judged, or someone who decided it was dishonest.

In the case where it's "luck" the other person was trying the exact same thing and knew it could turn out that way so it would be silly of them to complain.

The only argument that updating it isn't fair is a circular one:
"It's not fair that you did it, because it gives you an unfair advantage over people who chose not to!"
"Why did they choose not to?"
"Because it's not fair!"

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 11:33:00 PM »

I think it's fair, simpley because there are no limitations on how long you are allowd to work on your game before submitting it to IGF.
If I worked two months on my game, is it not fear that someone who has worked 10 years on his game is competing against me under the same conditions?

Master of all trades.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic