Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411516 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 08:18:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsTIGJAM UK 4 - 4-7 February, Cambridge [ SOLD OUT ]
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18
Print
Author Topic: TIGJAM UK 4 - 4-7 February, Cambridge [ SOLD OUT ]  (Read 77820 times)
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #280 on: February 02, 2011, 01:39:57 AM »

If you're a great narrative game designer then you should be right at home with Renpy. You don't even need to use visuals for Renpy to be effective, and it's accessible and cross platform (including linux). I learned renpy in a few hours at the weekend and I definitely intend to use it during the Jam.

twitter: @docky
Anthony Hart-Jones
Level 0

AAA escapee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #281 on: February 02, 2011, 03:16:22 AM »

Hey, I never said I was "a great narrative designer", just that I'd like to think I was. Tongue

Ren'Py seems like a very nice way of working for me.  I have been messing about with it and even without art, I have got some quite workable prototypes done.  I'd still like an artist, but I was amazed at how much I got done straight out of the (virtual) box.

I'll probably end up working with PHP/MySql a bit, just because it is my happy place, but OGRE can wait until I get home and have some patience; I have not really used C++ seriously in years, so I'd probably take most of the weekend just tracking down bugs in my code and working out where I put the compiler.

Working on Noir Past Mistakes Noir and looking for an artist
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #282 on: February 02, 2011, 05:38:42 AM »

Don't worry, I'm always wary about self proclaimed great writers. The proof is in the pudding, so I'll look forward to seeing what you cook! :D

Even if you're very seasoned with Ogre and C++, it would be a stretch for a jam game.

There are plenty of artists available for your bidding, just keep your scope modest! Smiley

twitter: @docky
increpare
« Reply #283 on: February 02, 2011, 05:51:18 AM »

Anyone else want to come?  Just had someone pull out so there's a spare seat.
Anthony Hart-Jones
Level 0

AAA escapee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #284 on: February 02, 2011, 06:31:26 AM »

Don't worry, I'm always wary about self proclaimed great writers. The proof is in the pudding, so I'll look forward to seeing what you cook! :D

We'll just have to see.  Personally, as long as I don't make a complete fool of myself, I think I will count it as a success. 

Actually, the sign of a good games-writer is simply that they take criticism well.  It's all well and good to have aspirations, but the game's design always comes first and writing is only one part of making the design a reality. 

Working on Noir Past Mistakes Noir and looking for an artist
bluescrn
Level 1

Unemployed Coder / Full-time Indie :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #285 on: February 02, 2011, 11:30:53 AM »

Starts at 6 on the Friday.  There'll be people around before, but that's the time I'd aim for.

Are many of you expecting to be there before 6pm?

I'm expecting to be in Cambridge by maybe 2pm-ish - is there likely to be an obvious group of TIG-ers with laptops in CB2 by then?

Anyway, I've got a big list of things that still need setting up on my laptop... should really get on with it... only 2 sleeps left 'till the jam!

Now will this event be the final push that I need to make the decision to 'go indie', or will it convince me that I should just be happy my current job?...

increpare
« Reply #286 on: February 02, 2011, 11:34:41 AM »

Starts at 6 on the Friday.  There'll be people around before, but that's the time I'd aim for.

Are many of you expecting to be there before 6pm?

I'm expecting to be in Cambridge by maybe 2pm-ish - is there likely to be an obvious group of TIG-ers with laptops in CB2 by then?
Yes, we should be upstairs.
dontkickpenguins
Level 1

Used to be known as Penguinhat

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 02, 2011, 03:48:01 PM »

I should be there at 5.30-ish with my bag and all (might drop that off at the hostel first if I get here early. It's one of those big wheeled suitcases and I don't think that CB2 would really like the idea of having my stuff in the way)

So, I'll download a copy of those framework docs while I'm here. I'll also bring some game stuff like dice, packs of cards, poker chips, the little men from Carcassonne. Might be an idea to have some stuff like that lying around for prototyping and that.

Mincus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #288 on: February 02, 2011, 05:20:09 PM »

Should be there around 3:30pm myself. Assuming no problems with the trains.

Will be bringing:
 - Visual Studio (with the intention of OpenTK + C# + my own framework)
 - Unity (got a little experience, hoping to work with someone who has more at some point and learn things about it)
 - Flashdevelop (some experience with Flixel, not a lot. Not used Flash for anything else)

I might throw up OpenTK under Linux using Monodevelop instead, depending on how much Windows ticks me off. Wink

Alistair Aitcheson
Level 5

"Ali" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #289 on: February 03, 2011, 01:36:38 AM »

I'll be heading up on Saturday morning and going back late on Sunday evening. Looking forward to the jam! :D

increpare
« Reply #290 on: February 03, 2011, 04:58:43 AM »

see you all then.  Once again, there're a couple of spaces that've freed up so just let me know here or in a pm or whatever if you want to come along.
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #291 on: February 03, 2011, 10:14:25 AM »

Reallly excited now! My train arrives in Cambridge at 14:54. Then leaving on Monday at 13:28.

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #292 on: February 03, 2011, 10:31:45 AM »

I'm very happy and excited!

bluescrn
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #293 on: February 03, 2011, 11:53:11 AM »

It's about time to find out if I can squeeze all my stuff into one backpack...

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #294 on: February 03, 2011, 12:30:02 PM »

Sorry I won't make it this time, I'm stuck in Southern California for six months.  Shrug

Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #295 on: February 03, 2011, 12:41:30 PM »

It's about time to find out if I can squeeze all my stuff into one backpack...

I got away with one small rucksack (including a towel!) last time.  It's do-able, but might require creativity Smiley

Feeling really hyped about this myself.  I've been pretty ill most of this week, and was starting to doubt if I'd be well in time for it, but it seems I will.  My plan is to head down tomorrow whenever I get myself organised (so, realistically arriving mid-late afternoon).  Really looking forward to seeing you all there :D

bluescrn
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #296 on: February 03, 2011, 01:04:36 PM »

I got away with one small rucksack (including a towel!) last time.  It's do-able, but might require creativity Smiley

The jam was a good excuse for me to buy myself a new bag, and I went for one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Swissgear-GA-7301-14F00-Hudson-back-15-4-inch/dp/B000VSDLR0/

Was a bit concerned when it arrived, as it seemed smaller than expected (and my laptop is right on the upper limit of what will fit) - but the other compartments expand nicely, looks like everything's going to fit - just about...  had never really noticed just how chunky my Dell PSU is...

I really hope the jam is as awesome as I expect it to be... it's a bit scary not knowing anyone there 'in real life', though... Oh well, to help with that, I'm sure there'll be a friday night beer or two Smiley

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #297 on: February 03, 2011, 01:13:34 PM »

In the end of last year I got this one that I ordered after a search for a perfect bag for me my laptop and my (big books) and after having read the test : http://www.geekwithlaptop.com/laptop-bag-review-and-laptop-case-review-slappa

However I'll have to use an additional bag for non-geeky things.

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #298 on: February 03, 2011, 01:24:20 PM »

I got away with one small rucksack (including a towel!) last time.  It's do-able, but might require creativity Smiley

If creativity fails you, just hum the tetris music. Worked for me - one bag with a bit of room for the inevitable forgotten stuff. Not sure how I managed two bags last year, though I did take a full size keyboard which didn't help.

Daveoh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #299 on: February 03, 2011, 01:32:01 PM »

Will there be any room to place a monitor down? I guess most, if not all, are bringing laptops? I don't have a laptop, but was planning on bringing a mac mini, so all I need space for is a monitor and keyboard + mouse.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 18
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic