Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411890 Posts in 69426 Topics- by 58475 Members - Latest Member: szálamireaktor

June 07, 2024, 11:30:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingFavimon (browser-based favicon battles)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Favimon (browser-based favicon battles)  (Read 4081 times)
oulipian
« on: December 18, 2010, 10:00:24 AM »

Favimon is a browser-based game in which you battle your favourite websites, building a collection of icons as you attempt to conquer the web!

Favimon.com

It lets you find, battle and collect favicons using a Pokémon-inspired battle system. I created it with jQuery and PHP. There is a FAQ with more information about the game.

I've been getting some good feedback since I launched the beta a couple of days ago. Any questions, comments, or suggestions are most welcome. Follow @favimon on Twitter for updates!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 06:35:15 AM by oulipian » Logged
Blodyavenger
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 10:37:33 AM »

Now that's interesting, I was playing around and it's nice relexation thing

Navineous
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 10:47:30 AM »

This looks awesome, gonna play it soon.
Navineous
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 10:53:01 AM »

After playing it, it's lots of fun. I suggest making a lobby like in Haxball that uses peer to peer connections for battles. Maybe a way to generate a code to save our Favimon or something similiar? Still lots of fun!
oulipian
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 06:32:59 AM »

Thanks for the feedback, glad people are enjoying the game. It's been attracting a lot of traffic over the past few days, and the most frequent request is the ability to save your game. I'm working on the best way to implement this - I might put something together quickly using browser cookies, but in the long term I'd like to allow users to log in, manage their collections, and perhaps even battle other users.
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 07:25:57 AM »

This game is so addicting it's not even funny.
Chaz
Level 0

What the problem is?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 08:43:55 AM »

Ridiculously good idea and well executed. Very impressed! I actually think it really captures that Pokemon spirit very well. It's pretty intuitive and could probably really hook someone for hours.

Unless I've missed it I think you should be able to train up your Favicon; this would really add to the longevity and need to continue playing. Maybe a way to show off your collection on a leaderboard or something? I mean who wants to collect hundreds of Favicons and not be able to brag about them!

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 08:47:40 AM »

You should make it so a favimon's power is determined by its daily traffic or something, if at all possible.
Blodyavenger
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 11:06:37 AM »

Maybe a way to show off your collection on a leaderboard or something? I mean who wants to collect hundreds of Favicons and not be able to brag about them!

I support this idea 100%

garlandobloom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2010, 11:38:58 AM »

Strangely just as addictive as Pokemon itself. Yet I can feel comfortable about my collection of internet favimon, not so much about if I play pokemon... That gives me an idea, what if you start the game with more than just the favimon website, like some of your browser favorites or something.. Maybe that would be pointless... I dunno..

I haven't run into any challenging sites, yet. Do they get much harder later?

Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2010, 01:35:14 PM »

So, naturally, I typed playthisthing.com into the URL bar at the top. The site put up a decent fight, but Favimon took it down in short order. I was going to have PTT duke it out with indiegames.com/blog but it didn't work, sadly. I glanced at my tabs and typed in actionbutton.net on a whim, and my newly captured PTT kicked the shit out of it. Feeling cocky, I typed in Facebook. It had nine whole hitpoints, but I wasn't deterred. Favimon lead the fight, and was able to take down a third of his health before falling. ABDN was second, and but totally whiffed its attacks. PTT was the proverbial David against Mark Zuckerberg's colossal Goliath. I kept on anyways. Miraculously, Facebook missed two of its attacks, which gave me the opportunity to deal the killing blow. It was like when I was eight and my oft-neglected Parasect took down one of those Legendary Birds (I'll be damned to remember which one). This is pretty cool.  Smiley

I wholeheartedly agree on the leaderboard idea. I'll throw in more feedback once I play more, the above three battles are my only experience with it so far. (and if you beefed up PTT I wouldn't complain (wink wink(nudge nudge)))

Oh! Maybe after you defeat an enemy you can choose either to heal the victor 'x' amount of health, or bring up one of their stats. Just throwing it out there.

speeder
BANNED
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2010, 02:18:29 PM »

Funny :D

I liked it, and I after a while managed to get the heavy hitters (like Google, Microsoft, Sony...) and then I started to hunt Linux favimons, and to my surprise Ubuntu is quite overpowered Tongue While capturing ubuntu it killed a whole bunch of my favicons, but after I got it, I killed even more without getting a dent on it.

Paint by Numbers
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2010, 04:00:01 PM »

Hahaha, this is wonderful!

It turns out that TIGSource is pretty easy to beat when matched against Something Awful. Cheesy
oulipian
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 06:41:58 PM »

Thanks for your enthusiasm and suggestions! I just updated the game with a new action type, 'disarm' actions.

Making the game more difficult as you progress is something I'd like to work on. I like the idea of leveling up your favimon; anything that makes you want them not to die makes the game more interesting, I think. Before I do that, though, I'd like to add a way to heal favimon who are not in battle.

Regarding the difficulty level, at the moment favimon with more than 10 health are fairly rare. I may tweak this so that as you collect more favimon, the favimon you encounter become stronger.

Basing a site's stats on its daily traffic is basically where I was going with things, although I don't have any way to get that information about websites. Right now, very popular websites like Google and Facebook are among the strongest, because of the way my database is structured, but it's not based on any concrete data. One problem I've noticed with this is that the most popular websites are the ones people are most likely to type in, which results in players facing the strongest opponents right away. So for various reasons, I haven't made any super-powerful favimon yet.

A leaderboard would be fun, but due to the nature of the game (browser-based, mostly javascript), it would be virtually impossible to keep people from cheating. I've noticed people posting screenshots of their collections on Tumblr, and I'd like to facilitate this by allowing people to export some sort of image or badge that they can use to show off their collection.
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2010, 07:02:43 PM »

Y'know what's awesome? Some sites have attacks based on their content. Forums have forum-related attacks, ThinkGeek.com had an 8-Bit Tie and Full Refund attack, and Twitter.com is about to go down!

I'd highly recommend this. I really would.
ink.inc
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 12:13:42 AM »

Basing a site's stats on its daily traffic is basically where I was going with things, although I don't have any way to get that information about websites.

Have you heard of Alexa? Apparently it tracks this sort of information.
charon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2010, 04:37:03 AM »

Best browser game ever.

Hand Thumbs Up Left My Word! Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Joystick Hand Joystick Hand Joystick

oulipian
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2010, 09:12:34 AM »

Update: Favimon now saves your game automatically. As you start to collect more favimon, the favimon you find start to have higher max health - I'm still working on this and might introduce a levelling-up system.
torahhorse
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2010, 11:24:25 AM »

This is way fun, I love the little details for types of websites. Are those tags based on metadata or are they hand-selected? either way,, I'm looking forward to your updates

oulipian
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2010, 12:35:32 PM »

The tags for each favimon are hand-selected. I've thought about trying to find a way to automate the tagging, but it wouldn't work quite the same way - I don't want to rely on too many external services, and anyway I need a limited set of tags to work with so I can assign actions based on the tag. One future possibility might be to allow a community of users to tag sites. So this might change in the future but for now it's just me. I add a hundred or so new ones every few days, it doesn't take very long to tag them.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic