Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411886 Posts in 69426 Topics- by 58475 Members - Latest Member: szálamireaktor

June 07, 2024, 02:24:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingFavimon (browser-based favicon battles)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Favimon (browser-based favicon battles)  (Read 4080 times)
mr. podunkian
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2010, 12:45:55 PM »

i checked this out and thought it was a really cool idea, but it's really silly to hand-tag sites. the appeal of a game like this is putting in a site you visit and having it spit out a related monster, but it breaks the illusion if you put something in and it spits out some random character, especially if the site that's entered is a big, albeit niche site.

plus having to update a site-list by hand means it'll be very difficult to maintain the game, whereas using a more dynamic, data driven solution means that if a site changes in any sort of way, the game will also change (as opposed to each monster being sort of a static thing).

my suggestion would be to use a hybrid method -- use hard-coded tags for particular sites, but fallback to a more data driven solution if a definition doesn't exist.

Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2010, 02:32:08 PM »

How about letting people suggest tags for their own sites?

Batmanifestdestiny
Level 1

When life gives you lemons, make an internet craze

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2010, 04:57:28 PM »

Or you could find a way to implement StumbleUpon tags.  Then, you could devise some system for sorting through the misspellings and whatnot into some basic catagories.  Then, you wouldn't have to worry about tagging each site as long as someone has stumbled it (I've encountered maybe two unstumbled websites).

"Sweet Sacajewea, Batmanifestdestiny!  We've struck GOLD!" -Joseph, Utah Wonder

You have to plagierize the Italian.
oulipian
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2010, 07:20:56 PM »

it's really silly to hand-tag sites.

I agree! In the long term it's obviously not the best way to do things, but for now it suits my purposes while I work on other aspects of the game. Eventually I'd like to provide community features for users, including the ability to suggest sites and tags. For now, if you want to suggest a site, let me know about it here.

Stumbleupon is a good suggestion for getting site tags, but they don't seem to offer an API, so I don't think their data is accessible to developers.
namre
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2010, 07:51:48 PM »

Ahahaha. QUite an interesting concept! I love it!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic