Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411518 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 03:02:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)show us some of your pixel work
Pages: 1 ... 1052 1053 [1054] 1055 1056 ... 1637
Print
Author Topic: show us some of your pixel work  (Read 7290051 times)
Slow
Level 1

chirp

View Profile
« Reply #21060 on: January 16, 2013, 04:45:15 PM »

i think it could benefit from some anti-aliasing

Cool, I haven't quite learned that trick yet
this might help then http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11299&PID=139322#139322
ClayB
« Reply #21061 on: January 16, 2013, 05:17:08 PM »

There we go. Sufficiently detailed textures on the torso and legs.

WTF

i wouldnt call that detail... the pillow shading and the needless dithering isnt doing you any favors.
siskavard
« Reply #21062 on: January 16, 2013, 05:26:26 PM »

Wow, that is super insightful, thanks a ton!  Beer!
thekill473
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21063 on: January 16, 2013, 05:31:48 PM »

This is my first crack at drawing any human form. I only used http://www.zbrushcentral.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14372 As a reference image. Any suggestions on how I could improve it would be great.

The only bit that gave me the most trouble was the feet.
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21064 on: January 16, 2013, 05:49:21 PM »

She seems to have feet for hands.
And sometimes having more than one reference image helps I find.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21065 on: January 16, 2013, 07:01:55 PM »

My first real attempt at pixel art.

Lay it on me.

Pretty good. Reminds me of a character from the Simpsons arcade game. The colors seem a bit unrelated to each other, and the highlights could be sharper in my opinion, but it's looking pretty slick.

I'm just starting to learn pixel art so I can produce less terrible looking jams (I am trying to do the one gam a month thing)

So, I would appreciate it if you tear these apart:

The tree's pretty cool - I like how simple it looks. Maybe the leaf color is too 'lime green'? Maybe a more evergreen color would be nicer (but that's just my opinion). The grass seems a bit too detailed.

The army guy is similarly simple overall. His shoulders could be squarer, but for what it is, it's pretty well executed.

The moon is similar - well-drawn overall; style's a bit wonky, but simple.

s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #21066 on: January 16, 2013, 07:05:38 PM »

Thanks for the critique SolarLune! It helps.

Also siskavard, that kind of reminds me of Ren and Stimpy (that's a great thing)

Think happy thoughts.
siskavard
« Reply #21067 on: January 16, 2013, 07:21:38 PM »

Thanks so much for the feedback, guys. I acknowledge the Ren & Stimpy influences for sure. Grew up on that show. (Rocko's Modern Life as well)
ink.inc
« Reply #21068 on: January 16, 2013, 07:33:41 PM »

This is my first crack at drawing any human form. I only used http://www.zbrushcentral.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14372 As a reference image. Any suggestions on how I could improve it would be great.

The only bit that gave me the most trouble was the feet.

hello

here is how you draw people (specifically that reference)

the important thing to learn is how to think in 3d. your subject is not a 2 dimensional being; it exists in 3 dimension, meaning to say it has volume. as such, perspective has a drastic effect on what your drawing looks like (things closer to the 'camera' are bigger, things further away, smaller).

whenever you draw anything, make sure not to focus too hard on any single portion of the body at one time. create an outline, a basic stick figure, then start to layer on portions of flesh. if you focus on one portion (like say the face) and then add the rest of the body as an afterthought, it's not going to look good, and you'll either have to readjust things constantly or end up with an off-looking image.

my suggestions: study anatomy really hard. look back and forth between your subject and your piece CONSTANTLY. but always remember that you're not just copying lines, you're chiseling out shapes. think like a sculptor. develop a 3d understanding of human anatomy.

PS: good drawing skills will translate into good pixelling skills. give it a shot.

you can apply the same techniques for the human face:

(this one doesn't demonstrate it as well as i remembered; i'll try to find another example i made that shows plotting out the facial features)

just plan out everything before hand, develop a base model, and then start adding stuff on top. easy to spot mistakes before you get too far, ensures anatomical accuracy.

PROTIP:

limbs (ie arms and legs) tend to start thickest nearest the torso, but they usually start to taper off as they get nearer the joints (elbows/knees). the joints sort of bulge out, then taper off again till you reach the extremities (wrists/ankles).
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 07:52:40 PM by John Sandoval » Logged
gggfhfdh
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #21069 on: January 16, 2013, 07:35:42 PM »

@siskavard
i'm late as heck on this but definitely try not to become dependent on anti aliasing as a technique

it's cool to use as a method to smooth out lines and everything but if you're using that as your only method for making linework look good you need to just

step back
and learn how to actually make your lines look good
because you shouldn't be using a trick intended for infrequent use as a crutch

that doesnt really seem like something you'd have to tell people but Ha Ha What Do You Know, People Suck
thekill473
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21070 on: January 16, 2013, 07:46:01 PM »

snip

Thanks for the feedback I'll check out some anatomy.
ink.inc
« Reply #21071 on: January 16, 2013, 08:19:48 PM »

PPS:

"I suggest gesture drawings to help with anatomy... it lets you get the proportions and not be so focused on line." - my friend

This is a good website to practice anatomy and learn said proportions. Set a time for yourself, and draw as fast as possible:

http://lovecastle.org/draw/

Thread on gesture drawings here:

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=2960.0
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21072 on: January 16, 2013, 09:03:30 PM »

Working on this knight to be the main character for my current project. However, I'm no artist, and I've no idea what I'm doing. To the right, you can see his current pose for arms but they feel wrong. He's also supposed to be very heroic! I think his helmet looks too intimidating for that. Hmm.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 08:59:16 AM by Rabbit » Logged

siskavard
« Reply #21073 on: January 16, 2013, 09:17:56 PM »

Is that a pose from a walk cycle, or is he just standing still?
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21074 on: January 16, 2013, 09:24:29 PM »

Just standing still. Its just a general pose I'm drawing him in.

siskavard
« Reply #21075 on: January 16, 2013, 09:27:07 PM »

Ah, ok.

Well, the first thing that looks off to me is his right arm is bent, his left is straight, yet the hands are on the same level. So if he straightened out his right arm, it would be way longer than his left.
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21076 on: January 16, 2013, 09:40:22 PM »

Ah, ok.

Well, the first thing that looks off to me is his right arm is bent, his left is straight, yet the hands are on the same level. So if he straightened out his right arm, it would be way longer than his left.

Both arms are supposed to be bent, and I didn't think about that not making any sense if they were all one color. But yeah, either way, you're correct.

ClayB
« Reply #21077 on: January 16, 2013, 11:18:15 PM »

snip

hey cool, i can also learn from this, thanks for the links!
Ozoh
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21078 on: January 17, 2013, 06:08:04 AM »

Character portraits...Feedback would be appreciated :3
EDIT: I made some progress myself

old ones:
http://files.myfrogbag.com/qkikp3/rhgirl_bigr.png
http://files.myfrogbag.com/qkikp3/ghguy_bigr.png
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 12:22:07 PM by Ozoh » Logged

poe
« Reply #21079 on: January 17, 2013, 03:20:52 PM »

I think the only decent thing is the grass, not really sure how to approach wood colored stuff I guess :/. Any tips?
Pages: 1 ... 1052 1053 [1054] 1055 1056 ... 1637
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic