Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411905 Posts in 69428 Topics- by 58475 Members - Latest Member: tpat14

June 09, 2024, 05:49:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)show us some of your pixel work
Pages: 1 ... 1151 1152 [1153] 1154 1155 ... 1637
Print
Author Topic: show us some of your pixel work  (Read 7333847 times)
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #23040 on: May 29, 2013, 08:34:58 AM »

@catguy I like that, reminds me of shadowrun characters.
@devi I have to kind of guess what's happening in that picture.
devi ever
« Reply #23041 on: May 29, 2013, 08:41:20 AM »

@devi I have to kind of guess what's happening in that picture.

Welcome to the world of atari-like gaming.  Ninja Toast Right
Cellusious
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23042 on: May 29, 2013, 08:59:31 AM »

devi: It's more than just mixed resolutions, the use of transparency on the "pixel" particles is really off-putting. Combined with the mixed res, the whole thing looks muddy and unprofessional. Is there a way you could produce particle effects with solid colors instead?

I actually went through quite a few iterations of transparent and non-transparent, and this is the balance I felt conveys the feeling I was going for the best.

Once again, I realize that people have come to expect a certain aesthetic when it comes to pixel art, but I'm running with my gut on this one.  I really liked the way it turned out... and lalz... I could give two shits about anyone thinking of my work as "professional".  I'm doing this for fun, and for the fun of those who might vibe on my work.

Hand Metal LeftNinjaHand Metal Right

I do appreciate the constructive criticism though... but in this case, I really feel it's more of a difference in aesthetic preference.  I've had just as many people enjoy the look as hate it, and I'm not here to please everyone.  Gomez

We don't want to see a certain aesthetics, we want to see new and good ones. Right now it just looks cluttered, bad and the "aesthetics" just doesn't work. 

"difference in aesthetic preference."
no.

"I could give two shits about anyone thinking of my work as "professional""
Why would anyone "give two shits" about your work if you don't?

Skill doesn't matter, it's just about how you convey your message.

speaking of experience.

devi ever
« Reply #23043 on: May 29, 2013, 09:05:45 AM »

I have much respect for you and your work Cellusious.  Your art is incredibly beautiful, and I understand if my own work doesn't tickle your fancy equally so.  Maybe someday something I do will inspire you equally, but if not, no harm no foul.

Gentleman
ClayB
« Reply #23044 on: May 29, 2013, 09:06:24 AM »

THIS IS BADASS. I love the messiness of the pixels, it looks painterly.
biomechanic
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #23045 on: May 29, 2013, 09:06:59 AM »

In today's episode of TIGForums' Pixel Thread - "It's not bad, that's just my style!"

Catguy: nice try, but I've yet to see a dithering-heavy pixel piece that doesn't look worse for it.
ClayB
« Reply #23046 on: May 29, 2013, 09:56:46 AM »

Catguy: nice try, but I've yet to see a dithering-heavy pixel piece that doesn't look worse for it.

http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/12082.htm

In today's episode of TIGForums' Pixel Thread - "It's not bad, that's just my style!"

That's the theme of the whole damn thread.
Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23047 on: May 29, 2013, 11:00:09 AM »

What's with the tone lately?

Man art is apparently such a drag because people and their damn ideas.

Complaining about people's inability to 'take' criticism well, where does this lead us? Well, as far as I can see, a thread filled with too little pixel art and too much complaining (and not enought insightful discussion)

Well, at least I've become really excited to make something to post in this thread to counteract the too-much-talking and not-enough-arting, but I just realized that windows 8 is even worse than windows 7 in how it handles tablet options and now I can't use Graphics Gale

:'((((((
devi ever
« Reply #23048 on: May 29, 2013, 11:09:09 AM »

It's funny.  I'm new here, but old skool when it comes to forums, and definitely expected some shit talking and grumpy people, but bob damned I definitely wasn't expecting it to be quite this... sustained.

Maybe comes with the territory of indie game development?  Seems there are a lot of people really upset that they aren't getting their "due respect", so it's only (unfortunately) human that they'd want to take that out on others.

I really enjoy this thread when people are actually posting art and being constructive with their criticism.  Bickering over personal tastes in style and meta commentary on "what is pixel art" on the other hand is a total fucking drag.  Cool Hand Thumbs Down Right

Maybe it's time to start a new thread "Hugs, kisses, rainbows, and happy things to say about pixel art", and leave this one to the jaded pixters.
Dr. Cooldude
« Reply #23049 on: May 29, 2013, 11:09:32 AM »

Man art is apparently such a drag because people and their damn ideas.

Complaining about people's inability to 'take' criticism well, where does this lead us? Well, as far as I can see, a thread filled with too little pixel art and too much complaining (and not enought insightful discussion)

This
devi ever
« Reply #23050 on: May 29, 2013, 11:12:07 AM »

... and another thing on this subject.  Instead of bitching about people's work, I'd love to see more people take the time to do their own take on other people's artwork.  I've seen it done from time to time, but it'd be nicer if it was the rule rather than the exception.  It'd be nice if we could have a thread devoted to "Constructive criticism through example rather than words".

Blambo
« Reply #23051 on: May 29, 2013, 11:17:48 AM »

devi: It's more than just mixed resolutions, the use of transparency on the "pixel" particles is really off-putting. Combined with the mixed res, the whole thing looks muddy and unprofessional. Is there a way you could produce particle effects with solid colors instead?

I actually went through quite a few iterations of transparent and non-transparent, and this is the balance I felt conveys the feeling I was going for the best.

Once again, I realize that people have come to expect a certain aesthetic when it comes to pixel art, but I'm running with my gut on this one.  I really liked the way it turned out... and lalz... I could give two shits about anyone thinking of my work as "professional".  I'm doing this for fun, and for the fun of those who might vibe on my work.

Hand Metal LeftNinjaHand Metal Right

I do appreciate the constructive criticism though... but in this case, I really feel it's more of a difference in aesthetic preference.  I've had just as many people enjoy the look as hate it, and I'm not here to please everyone.  Gomez

We don't want to see a certain aesthetics, we want to see new and good ones. Right now it just looks cluttered, bad and the "aesthetics" just doesn't work. 

"difference in aesthetic preference."
no.

"I could give two shits about anyone thinking of my work as "professional""
Why would anyone "give two shits" about your work if you don't?

Skill doesn't matter, it's just about how you convey your message.

speaking of experience.

Yes, enjoying art is pretty subjective. But if your audience requires to stretch their perception of quality too wide, then you're not expressing your message effectively. I'm not saying that you should not explore different styles of quality art, and I'm certainly not saying that there's any "fundamentally pleasing" aesthetic (there's only a more democratic one), but if you're expecting laudatory comments from people who enjoy a certain type of art that your art does not fit the specific standard of, then you're out of luck.

The impressionists and colorists didn't seek approval from Baroque masters, nor did they get it, but they still made certain important explorations into art and popularized an esoteric mode of enjoyment for art.

If you want to make pretty things that fit a certain definition of pretty, then go ahead. It doesn't matter. Just do it. I recommend exploring conventional styles as well, just to cultivate your own style, mastery and sensibility. Let people criticize you, and take their advice, but recognize what type of aesthetic sense is going into your art and evaluate if you want to incorporate that sense into your own work.

Some more of Finn!

Fuck yes. Feels sort of unnatural though.
Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23052 on: May 29, 2013, 11:19:36 AM »

... and another thing on this subject.  Instead of bitching about people's work, I'd love to see more people take the time to do their own take on other people's artwork.  I've seen it done from time to time, but it'd be nicer if it was the rule rather than the exception.  It'd be nice if we could have a thread devoted to "Constructive criticism through example rather than words".

this is what we did at pixelation and while it lasted, it was the best forum ever

the bitching about people not taking criticism 'correctly' was close to zero because people not taking criticism well were simply left alone eventually

edits everywhere, lots of learning

I don't know why people left, I guess people got jobs, I know I did - then I found myself visiting it less and less and now I just feel ashamed for abandoning it so I don't dare visit anymore

anyways, that's all I have to say on the matter and I will not post again if I don't have art to show, cheers <3
ink.inc
« Reply #23053 on: May 29, 2013, 11:21:28 AM »

words bad pictures good
devi ever
« Reply #23054 on: May 29, 2013, 11:30:14 AM »

words bad pictures good

Hand ClapWizard
Blambo
« Reply #23055 on: May 29, 2013, 11:33:53 AM »

devi ever
« Reply #23056 on: May 29, 2013, 11:34:40 AM »

this is what we did at pixelation and while it lasted, it was the best forum ever

the bitching about people not taking criticism 'correctly' was close to zero because people not taking criticism well were simply left alone eventually

edits everywhere, lots of learning

See.  That sounds absolutely fantastic.

Someone feel free to PM me when something like that exists here on TIG.

It was fun while it lasted, but this thread is definitely too pretentious for my tastes.

Gentleman
ink.inc
« Reply #23057 on: May 29, 2013, 11:39:25 AM »

If You Wanna Make The World A Better Place
        Take A Look At Yourself,
                And Then Make That Change
beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #23058 on: May 29, 2013, 12:10:15 PM »

Wip skyruin tileset for my platform game...

« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 12:15:27 PM by beetleking22 » Logged
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23059 on: May 29, 2013, 12:51:17 PM »

Hand Thumbs Up LeftGomez
Pages: 1 ... 1151 1152 [1153] 1154 1155 ... 1637
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic