Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 03:30:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationMinus [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
Print
Author Topic: Minus [FINISHED]  (Read 81511 times)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 02, 2008, 03:16:55 PM »

:D Well that was probably the last game I thought of while making this, but thanks!

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
mewse
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: June 02, 2008, 05:15:02 PM »

Finally got to play this..  it makes me happy in ways I'm not sure I'm able to explain.   Grin

So many wonderful tiny details, and the music just wraps it all together.

If I had any complaint, it would be that the game becomes a little frenetic as you get higher up, and the music makes me long for a more gentle, relaxed activity once I'm near the top.

But it's still beautiful.  I really want to make a game as nice as this, someday.
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 02, 2008, 05:50:33 PM »

Thanks for the nice comments. :3

Some seeds are more challenging/hectic than others, but I see what you mean. I'll finetune the difficulty in the future, maybe do away with more hectic elements of the gameplay in favour of a more relaxed one.

I get the feeling I'll have to rewrite many aspects of this from scratch.

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: June 03, 2008, 02:08:27 PM »

I liked this! Minus is supercute and the gameplay feels really nice... "understated" in a good way.

I'm wondering about whether a good way to extend this sort of game, and encourage players to explore the various hectic/calm results of the PG is to link levels in a chain rather than one-offs. Pretty much like Rogue does (even if there's no levelling up), or maybe Outrun is a better model. Outrun is nice because the player makes a choice and then has to deal with it....

We need a PG idle design thoughts thread Smiley

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 03, 2008, 02:10:40 PM »

Mmm... seems interesting, but if Minus kept going up he'd eventually end up in space and I'd have to give him a fishbowl helmet and have him jump asteroids and avoid flying saucers. Tongue

Yeah, I just KNOW somebody will tell me to implement just that.

cyber95
Level 5

The Computer is your friend.

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 03, 2008, 02:12:04 PM »

Mmm... seems interesting, but if Minus kept going up he'd eventually end up in space and I'd have to give him a fishbowl helmet and have him jump asteroids and avoid flying saucers. Tongue

Yeah, I just KNOW somebody will tell me to implement just that.
You should implement this.

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 03, 2008, 02:13:49 PM »

What do you guys want from me, Super Minus Galaxy? Shall I wip up the spherical planetoids and gravity puzzles?

shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: June 03, 2008, 04:44:38 PM »

YES

olücæbelel
Daniel Benmergui
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: June 03, 2008, 09:09:15 PM »

This game is one of my favourites...

I liked the feeling of cloud jumping. I think it has the heart in the right place.

Some feedback:
* I'm sure some parameter tweaking would make wonders for it...sometimes I got stuck and it was a little detracting. I just wanted to keep jumping!
* The "Lives" things feels wrong to me in this game...I liked the stormy clouds, but I would change their effect to something like "If lightning, push player. Otherwise, let the player fall through". This would allow me to do something special with the storm (getting a boost), would still demand some manouvering skills and would not remove the friendly feeling of the jumping.

Sorry if somebody mentioned this before...

Daniel.
Ludomancy
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 03, 2008, 09:30:36 PM »

* I'm sure some parameter tweaking would make wonders for it...sometimes I got stuck and it was a little detracting. I just wanted to keep jumping!

What exactly do you mean? You mean you didn't land on a cloud often or you really got stuck somehow and couldn't move? Please give me a bit more detail.

* The "Lives" things feels wrong to me in this game...I liked the stormy clouds, but I would change their effect to something like "If lightning, push player. Otherwise, let the player fall through". This would allow me to do something special with the storm (getting a boost), would still demand some manouvering skills and would not remove the friendly feeling of the jumping.

I have been thinking of removing the possibility of 'death' and just make the player fall through the clouds for a short time when being hit. I'd still like to keep the hazards as actual hazards to your ascencion, but I'll see if I can create other elements that may do what you mentioned.

Glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for the feedback.

Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 03, 2008, 10:12:54 PM »

melly dear i cant download it.

if you email it to me i can mirror it for direct download
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 03, 2008, 10:41:42 PM »

That's odd. The download works fine for me.

I'll e-mail it to you then.

Hope you accept .RAR files.

Also, you might want to tell me your e-mail, maybe on a PM.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 10:45:49 PM by Melly » Logged

Tommunism
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: June 04, 2008, 01:23:18 AM »

Fucking 8 tries to get to the top of the damn level. Cool game, liked to music, hated the fucking red guys...stupid red guys:)

Daniel Benmergui
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: June 04, 2008, 06:28:18 AM »

What exactly do you mean? You mean you didn't land on a cloud often or you really got stuck somehow and couldn't move? Please give me a bit more detail.

It's hard to explain...I think it's because I wanted the elevation to be more dynamic, I'm ok with not going at top speed, I'm ok with tripping and falling a bit, but I was eager to just race up most of the time. sometimes it took me several seconds to recover speed after missing a cloud.

But I'm not trying to be objective with this particular item, it's just what I fantasized about the game Smiley

Daniel.
Ludomancy
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: June 04, 2008, 08:19:50 AM »

Melly I liked the music and sprites.  I just felt the jumping could be slightly more analogue perhaps?  I got all the way to the top on my first go then fell all the way back down.  Nice little game.

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 04, 2008, 08:22:27 AM »

Melly I liked the music and sprites.  I just felt the jumping could be slightly more analogue perhaps?  I got all the way to the top on my first go then fell all the way back down.  Nice little game.

Analogue? What do you mean by that exactly?

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: June 04, 2008, 08:25:19 AM »

A slightly more bouncey / firction-ey / physics-ey feel?  I don't know, it's hard for me to explain, I think of player movement in quite abstract ways, and usually tweak the numbers by 'feel' in my own games haha.

[edit 2: perhaps in this case I mean slightly more gravity, but balanced with friction?  I'm not sure...  It's a bit floaty... maybe you planned that to fit the theme, but I'd like a springier feel as he/she's a rabbit...]

« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 08:29:43 AM by superflat » Logged

Yuka
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 04, 2008, 08:26:13 AM »

The download works fine for me, but when I try to start it up I get an error message. It's the standard windows error: (I'm not using the english version so I'll try to translate)
"Minus.exe has encountered an error and needs to terminate"

Any ideas?
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 04, 2008, 08:29:13 AM »

*sigh* I've heard of GameMaker games giving trouble for some people. I'm running a bit late now, but later I'll track down solutions.

Yuka
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 04, 2008, 08:30:48 AM »

Okay, I'll keep a lookout on this thread then.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic