Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411748 Posts in 69406 Topics- by 58460 Members - Latest Member: hideworks

May 23, 2024, 03:45:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignShould sequels have different interfaces than their predecessors?
Poll
Question: Should sequels have different interfaces than their predecessors?
Yes - 11 (47.8%)
No - 12 (52.2%)
Total Voters: 18

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Should sequels have different interfaces than their predecessors?  (Read 2755 times)
tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« on: January 09, 2011, 01:28:48 PM »

When you make a sequel to a game, should you change the menus to make them look cooler or at least feel different? Or should you keep the menus the same and just change the gameplay?

I think it's good to at least make the menus feel and look a little different. If you keep it the same, it makes the sequel feel the same as the last game, and it makes it look like the developers were lazy. For example, when I tried out Bejeweled 3, I was anticipating a new, pretty interface, sort of like what Bejeweled Twist had, but instead I got the same, boring visual style that Bejeweled Blitz had, making me feel like the developers were lazy and leaving me disappointed.
iffi
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 01:35:12 PM »

If the interface can be made better (or prettier without affecting usability), then it should be changed, but if the interface is already good there's no need to change it in my opinion. I think sequels should attempt to feel fresh by offering new gameplay, not just a new interface (though the interface may undergo changes to reflect the new gameplay).
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 02:23:57 PM »

I voted no because you shouldn't make something different for the sake of making it different. If you can improve the interface then by all means, go ahead - If not, why fix what isn't broke?
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 02:31:30 PM »

Core took the words right outta my mouth,
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 02:32:49 PM »

The argument of change for the sake of change doesn't hold much weight. Can anyone claim that their interface is so utterly perfect that it needs not a smidgen of change for a sequel?

PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 02:34:12 PM »

I think that it's wonderful to get a sequel to a game that feels a lot like the original but has new content and makes improvements where they count! Majora's Mask is a great example.

As for interface in particular, what Core said. =)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 03:00:11 PM »

there's no third option (that indies probably shouldn't really be making sequels); i don't like direct sequels where you have [game name] + 2, although spiritual sequels are great, or 'episode 1, episode 2' when something was originally envisioned as a series of episodes. the [game name] + 2 thing always felt like taking advantage of the popularity of a previous game to me.

that said of course indies should make what they want, even if what they want is a marketing technique

mirosurabu
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 03:21:44 PM »

It's fine, so as long you do it for a good reason. It also depends on how important menu is in your game.

Some of the good reasons:

1. You changed the visual style of the game
2. Past menu shows main characters/concepts/features/etc, your sequel has different main characters/concepts/features/etc
3. You have new options / game modes / etc.
4. You think your old menu is crap
tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 03:53:39 PM »

there's no third option (that indies probably shouldn't really be making sequels); i don't like direct sequels where you have [game name] + 2, although spiritual sequels are great, or 'episode 1, episode 2' when something was originally envisioned as a series of episodes. the [game name] + 2 thing always felt like taking advantage of the popularity of a previous game to me.

that said of course indies should make what they want, even if what they want is a marketing technique
It's interesting that you think this, but I think you can have a direct sequel that isn't just there for marketing. In the case that you're taking the same basic gameplay but expanding it, "game name + 2" is a pretty good choice if you ask me.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 04:07:35 PM »

if you're expanding the gameplay of a game, why not call it an expansion then? that's what the name 'expansion' means anyway.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 04:22:51 PM »

So it's all about the name?  Shrug
jwk5
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 04:28:55 PM »

There should be a middle option (labelled "sometimes"). I think the interface only really needs to be different when it is an improvement or when it will better suit the theme of the sequel.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 04:59:36 PM »

So it's all about the name?  Shrug

yes, but that doesn't diminish its importance, because names affect how we think of things. people don't think of civilization 5 as an "expansion" of civilization 1 for instance, they think of it as a separate game, when it's just basically the same game, with new graphics, more units, slightly changed rules, etc. (but still essentially the same core rules) -- basically i think sequels "trick" the player into thinking they're buying an entirely new game when they're actually buying an expansion or technology update (and thus paying for the same thing twice, or in civilization's case, five times).

anyway, if the question is thought of in terms of 'should an expansion have a new interface than the old game?' i think the answer is probably not, unless all the other graphics changed too. if you remake all the graphics, remake the gui too, if you are using the old graphics, use the old gui too.

PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2011, 05:21:24 PM »

@Paul One very valid reason for a sequel is if you want to tell another story using the same game engine, etc. I think it's just practical to want to re-use what you have!
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2011, 05:27:25 PM »

i think that's covered by the 'episode 2' thing in most cases. for instance, on my site are fedora spade episodes 1, 2, 3, and 4. same engine, different stories/cases (it's a detective adventure game).

Blue
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2011, 06:58:47 PM »

Honestly, I think most people would interpret, say "X Game episode 2" as "X Game 2".

On the menu change thing, I agree with PsySal; the menu probably should be changed if the theme or, say, the message or even color scheme of the game as a whole has changed. Otherwise, it's better to just keep it the same. Although I feel that not changing any of those things in a sequel might, indeed, qualify as an expansion pack rather than an actual sequel.
namre
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2011, 08:08:01 PM »

I'm all for having new interfaces. However, a new interface would entail another round of usability testing that may or may not work. It's risky and costs more especially if the previous one is fine the way it is and isn't exactly broken. If you want your game to feel fresh, then just go for aesthetic changes.

The argument of change for the sake of change doesn't hold much weight. Can anyone claim that their interface is so utterly perfect that it needs not a smidgen of change for a sequel?
I don't think an interface needs to be perfect. Just good enough that people can be able to breeze through it without thinking.

D Krahenbil
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2011, 09:04:01 PM »

I believe sequels can be a good thing, as long as they are fresh (meaning that you don't feel like you're playing the prequel(s)).  Which leads me to say that the interface should be different if it contributes to the feeling that you're playing the "same old, same old".  I'm not saying that's the only thing that needs to change in such a situation though.  Chances are, if the interface is causing you to feel deja vu, then that's not the only thing. 

The interface can be similar, and yet still have the game feeling fresh.  I believe Donkey Kong Country 2 had a similar interface to DKC.  However, it was still a blast to play (even more so than the first).  The key was that the setting and atmosphere changed, and that was enough of a difference.  So I guess what I'm saying is that there is no hard and fast rule.  Play the game, and only then can you make a judgement on whether or not a new interface is needed.
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2011, 09:39:57 PM »

I think an interface should suit the game.

And unless the sequel is identical in just about every way, it should be at least stylistically different, if not mechanically.

For excellent executions, compare Persona 3 and 4 and Assassin's Creed I and II.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2011, 05:35:01 PM »

I absolutely hate when sequils completely change the interface....but refining it is always a good thing. (slight tweaks for new features, slight differences in gameplay).

Best example of this done right, imho, is the Atelier series.  The interface really has  not changed much, though it evolves slightly with each game. If you've played any game in the series though you can just pick up and play any other.

An example of change done wrong....Xenosaga EP2, Episode one had a very good interface, 2 was significantly different and frustratingly hard to use in comparison.  There was zero reason for the changes they made in 2, it was all change for change sake.

In summary, interfaces should EVOLVE within a game series, not simply change, if presented with simply the interface, the game should still be recognizable as part of the series.

-Fuzzy Spider
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic