Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 08:30:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingPSYCHO
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: PSYCHO  (Read 7715 times)
jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« on: May 08, 2008, 11:55:24 AM »

A little something made in 3 hours for a competition over at poppenkast.

PSYCHO

An arcade game, as usual. Smiley

3 colors only, and well, nice lasers.

yadayada
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 11:57:19 AM by jwaap » Logged

Tom Quinn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 12:35:56 PM »

It's really hard to play on a laptop with no mouse, but it sure looks good for 3 hours of work!
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 03:56:47 PM »

It's fairly impressive for 3 hours and I like all the vector graphics. Using the boost takes a bit of getting used to but once you get the hang of it it's very useful. I also like that it's not your usual "endless machinegun" type of weapon. It's really awesome to let loose a fully charged laser that kills anything it touches many seconds after it fired. Very DBZ-ish.

I did get stuck on walls every once in a while, especially when using the boost and going at high speeds.

Either way it's pretty awesome for just 3 hours. Good job.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 06:39:08 PM »

Reminded me of Blame!, personally.
Very cool, though. My highscore is 83. Cool

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 09:51:32 PM »

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 11:04:10 PM »

those are my 3 favorite colors.
+5pts

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 12:50:36 AM »

Too hard for my taste, but certainly well-made for a 3 hour game. Also, is it meant to be misspelt as 'Pyscho'?

jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 01:27:58 AM »

It's fairly impressive for 3 hours and I like all the vector graphics. Using the boost takes a bit of getting used to but once you get the hang of it it's very useful. I also like that it's not your usual "endless machinegun" type of weapon. It's really awesome to let loose a fully charged laser that kills anything it touches many seconds after it fired. Very DBZ-ish.

I did get stuck on walls every once in a while, especially when using the boost and going at high speeds.

Either way it's pretty awesome for just 3 hours. Good job.

Thanks man. That stuck bug is really a shame. Sad Luckily boost can get you out.

Reminded me of Blame!, personally.
Very cool, though. My highscore is 83. Cool
Blame? Googles... Thanks! My highscore so far is 170. Smiley But I didn't really try.

Too hard for my taste, but certainly well-made for a 3 hour game. Also, is it meant to be misspelt as 'Pyscho'?

Yeah of course it's meant to be spelt Pyscho.  Roll Eyes
A tip: Try getting used to the boosts. It takes a little time before they activate, time on that. Once you're good at boosting the game gets easy.

FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 04:00:49 AM »

those are my 3 favorite colors.
+5pts

there is only 1 color in those shots, two are shades

-5 art points for fish

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 12:22:02 AM »

Jwaap! Make this bigger! Controls and appearance are Perfect. I mean, if you did this in 3 hours, imagine what you could do in... 3 MORE hours. Pssssssaw..... PEEEEEEW! And this is why you're doing game design at college.

Also, One Seventy? I can only manage 34. Gotta wok on that.

EDIT: 184. I am a king. And my eyes are kinda dry.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 01:24:28 AM by Gainsworthy » Logged
MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 01:29:06 AM »

106 after a few tries.
Really fun game! Do you have an invisible Hp.. does it regenerate.. and do things damage you by touching you for a period of time or what?
I quit playing after a bit because I kept frustratingly would collide with walls and get stuck. Your collision code causes the player to "stick" to walls, making you lose vertical momentum and not be able to jump again to escape -- IMO I'd tweak it so that if you hit a wall it stops your x movement but not your y.
Also could you explain the boost? Sometimes in the air it seems to push me down, other times I move then abruptly change direction, other times I go flying.. does mouse positioning matter?
VERY COOL GAME don't let my complaints discourage you, it's very cool.

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 01:42:06 AM »

198. My head hurts.

By the looks of it, boosting fires ~1 second after activating, and is entirley mouse dependent. That circle that sits around you is your regenerating HP, and I think that if they hit you, they hurt you.
jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2008, 04:19:26 AM »

Gainsworthy is right. Smiley

BTW: 251
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 04:43:58 AM by jwaap » Logged

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2008, 07:27:59 AM »

Game doesn't work for me. I click the exe, the "waiting" mouse icon appears and after a few seconds , nothing. Task manager lists the exe running in background but I see nothing. Windows Vista.
BTW I have the same problem with the other 3H game submitted on this forum (don't remmeber the name), did you use the same framework or sthg?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2008, 12:00:34 PM »

Game doesn't work for me. I click the exe, the "waiting" mouse icon appears and after a few seconds , nothing. Task manager lists the exe running in background but I see nothing. Windows Vista.
BTW I have the same problem with the other 3H game submitted on this forum (don't remmeber the name), did you use the same framework or sthg?

Both are game maker games, I know there's a fix for this compatibility problem, I forgot where it is though. Sad

Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2008, 01:54:23 PM »

http://www.gamemaker.nl/GM_Convert_Game.zip

Download this and drag the psycho exe file onto it, it'll spit out a Vista-compatible version.

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2008, 03:39:44 PM »

Oh dear I just realized i have the GM decompiler on my desktop.

Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2008, 04:57:51 PM »

The game converted isn't a decompiler. It also actually stops the decompiler from working on it, apparantly.

I wouldn't know. I don't decompile games  Cool

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2008, 07:43:48 PM »

Both are game maker games, I know there's a fix for this compatibility problem, I forgot where it is though. Sad
There is a converter.

Okay about the game:
I don't know what's up with the WASD buttons scheme, why it is so popular, but you guys should know that it is completely broken on non qwerty keyboards where the keys are arranged differently.
I tried the game but couldn't move at all because of that problem. Still a nice and addictive game (although the enemies often pass through my laser shots, maybe because they move too fast between frames?).
I would suggest to devellopers using the WASD keys to either enable alternate keys (oh, I just noticed 4 keys on my keyboard that just happen to have arrows on them!), or enable key redefinition, because there are too many games I cant play well or can't play at all because of that. Cry Angry

[EDIT] WOOPS sorry I just missed the couple of posts above me apparently...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 07:46:30 PM by moi » Logged

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2008, 09:07:39 PM »

There is a converter.

Okay about the game:
I don't know what's up with the WASD buttons scheme, why it is so popular, but you guys should know that it is completely broken on non qwerty keyboards where the keys are arranged differently.
I tried the game but couldn't move at all because of that problem. Still a nice and addictive game (although the enemies often pass through my laser shots, maybe because they move too fast between frames?).
I would suggest to devellopers using the WASD keys to either enable alternate keys (oh, I just noticed 4 keys on my keyboard that just happen to have arrows on them!), or enable key redefinition, because there are too many games I cant play well or can't play at all because of that. Cry Angry

[EDIT] WOOPS sorry I just missed the couple of posts above me apparently...

Customizeable controls are godly. In any future game of mine that uses keys I'll make them fully customizeable. That completely solves that issue.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic