Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 11:24:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)W.O.B. [Wabbling Oriented Brawler]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: W.O.B. [Wabbling Oriented Brawler]  (Read 1943 times)
Wowk
Level 0

Late fresh starter

View Profile WWW
« on: January 19, 2011, 05:18:13 PM »

W.O.B.

The core:
Fast-paced brawler with gelatinous characters, somewhat inspired by Super Smash Bros.

The 'something else' (aka things that probably won't make it in time for the compo):
- WarioWare like microgames during the battle

Gameplay style:
- With wobbly wobbling characters the punches and kicks will do much more damage if the character is stretched. The limbs inertia will help players achieve maximum stretching when doing sudden movements followed by an attack, like walljumping and kicking.

- All the wobbliness thing will also take part in dodging. When falling from hight places the characters will be compressed against the ground.

- Players will lose lives if they fall out of the playfield.

- I'm thinking about doing it so the characters lose flexibility (and wobbliness) as they take damage, making it harder for them to dodge attacks or do high damage.

--If minigames make it in the early versions of the game, there'll be smooth transitions from the stage to the minigame, like the screen scrolling up, down, left or right, and then back to the stage.

The graphical style:

Character mockup (with skeleton overlay in red)

- Will add small color stripes to the characters so players can tell theirs apart

- Psychedelic backgrounds

- Simple 2D platforms

The expected paraphernalia:
- C++
- SDL
- Raknet (If I manage to get into network playing [probably not])

The trammels:
- I've never finished or even coded my own game
- I've never worked with SDL or Raknet

Personal appeal:
I need community mentoring to get somewhat near being able to complete this within the deadline. This project will be a practical learning experience, and I don't have much expectations on having anything more than raw to delivery in the compo, but I'll be using the willpower boost it provides to get more into indie games developing.

I ask you guys to smite me with all your experience and tell me if a project like this is at all appropriated for a indie newbie or if I'm fated to fail. I don't know much about the game making process and will start by sketching the engine layout.
Tell me if I am to drop out now and take on this project some years from now or if I have any chance trying it now.

Gentleman Have no mercy.
medieval
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 05:23:29 PM »

Dude, this game sounds awesome.

If you get the degrading-wobbliness-part right, this game will be extremely fun to play.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 05:42:29 PM »

Okay, one, this sounds absolutely, positutely, resolutely, amazing.

Secondly, I think "degrading flexibility" would just knock people further and further behind; perhaps INCREASING flexibility, to allow for truly hectic action?
XRA
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 06:42:19 PM »

sounds awesome, a thought popped into my mind, a button like block, but it grabs whatever is nearby to your hands (or feet?!) so you can grab, locking those bones to the surface and inertia flings you around and smacks the other player in the face BAM 
FLACCID FLEXOR FIGHT! Hand Knife RightCrazyHand Knife Right

Wowk
Level 0

Late fresh starter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 01:25:28 AM »

Dude, this game sounds awesome.

If you get the degrading-wobbliness-part right, this game will be extremely fun to play.
Okay, one, this sounds absolutely, positutely, resolutely, amazing.

Secondly, I think "degrading flexibility" would just knock people further and further behind; perhaps INCREASING flexibility, to allow for truly hectic action?

I think the decreasing flexibility wouldn't unbalance the fight...I'm planning a slow decreasing curve in the start with a faster drop on higher damage counts. I even tough about taking characters lives away when they lose too much wobbliness. The would crack and break

sounds awesome, a thought popped into my mind, a button like block, but it grabs whatever is nearby to your hands (or feet?!) so you can grab, locking those bones to the surface and inertia flings you around and smacks the other player in the face BAM 
FLACCID FLEXOR FIGHT! Hand Knife RightCrazyHand Knife Right

Yeah... I'm thinking about some handlebars on the floor Wink

goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 01:33:08 AM »

Reminds me of Ragdoll Masters with Street Fighter's Dhalsims as characters. Sounds nice.

Wowk
Level 0

Late fresh starter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 02:01:13 PM »

Reminds me of Ragdoll Masters with Street Fighter's Dhalsims as characters. Sounds nice.

Played that one to get ideas, but I'm aiming for less ragdollish characters...they'll at least stand still on their feet.  Giggle
Wowk
Level 0

Late fresh starter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 01:29:19 AM »

I'll probably switch to plan B and work in 3D with Irrlicht + PhysX.
Just realized it would be of much trouble to make the characters swirl around themselves in 2D. Also, this way I won't have to program collision detection or soft body physics, and those tools have much more to-the-point tutorials.

Luckily for me there won't be any complex models for me to work out.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic