Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 03:23:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationLacan: Trauma [Fail]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Lacan: Trauma [Fail]  (Read 14877 times)
Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2008, 08:43:16 PM »

Wow.

I want to see this working

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2008, 09:40:38 PM »

This is going to be so much win.

Daniel Benmergui
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2008, 07:40:40 PM »

Wow...this is something that I find really interesting Smiley

I got more or less to the point you are, tough my approach was a little more symbolic (I wanted to avoid making the game too text-heavy)...

Good luck with it!

Daniel.
Ludomancy
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2008, 07:25:22 AM »

Whoa, awesome. Like, REALLY awesome. Didn't see this thread before.

increpare
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2008, 08:15:55 AM »

I got more or less to the point you are, tough my approach was a little more symbolic (I wanted to avoid making the game too text-heavy)...
It's pretty much impossible to avoid making it text-heavy when it comes to Lacanian approaches, alas.  I was originally planning on implementing a lot of semantic structure in the background, but there's no way I'll be able to fit that in in time.

And yeah, the 'level design' was a big pain.  But I more or less got it out of the way (at least enough material has been included to get a prototype up and working).  I've had BIG troubles motivating myself to get on to the 'implementing speech' part of things.  Because it's not particularly interesting for me to do :/   I took two weeks off, and am going to have to cram the final two stages into this last remaining week  Sad

I take it that you haven't gotten the prototype of Shrink up and running yet?

I'd certainly be very interested in seeing how your game progresses (given that we're using very different models:  I should be able to get by for the time being without any explicit emotional content -there might be some psychosomatic symptoms included if I have time, but that will be about it).
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 08:19:30 AM by increpare » Logged
Daniel Benmergui
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2008, 11:05:00 AM »

And yeah, the 'level design' was a big pain.  But I more or less got it out of the way (at least enough material has been included to get a prototype up and working).  I've had BIG troubles motivating myself to get on to the 'implementing speech' part of things.  Because it's not particularly interesting for me to do :/   I took two weeks off, and am going to have to cram the final two stages into this last remaining week

mmm...how about using a wordcloud? I was thinking of using "Free association" as the source of information (though without text)...perhaps the slips can be seen as an unfitting word in a group of semantically-related words. I know it's almost as hard as doing the speech itself...maybe you can have a "social" biography, and a "real" biography...you would pull out words from the social one, and slip some from the real one every now an then, as slippages.

I take it that you haven't gotten the prototype of Shrink up and running yet?

Not really...I have a dumb proto, which is winnable but stupidly simple and experimental:

http://ludomancy.com/games/shrink/shrink.html

(I won't go over the mechanics here, but if you confront the fear of darkness with her cousin, you will get the true reason for the trauma).

Daniel.
Ludomancy
increpare
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2008, 01:25:38 PM »

mmm...how about using a wordcloud? I was thinking of using "Free association" as the source of information (though without text)...perhaps the slips can be seen as an unfitting word in a group of semantically-related words.
Heh; sounds like apples and oranges Wink

Not really...I have a dumb proto, which is winnable but stupidly simple and experimental:
Ah; it works.  But yeah: pretty majorly prototypish!
increpare
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2008, 03:06:34 AM »

Okay.  This isn't going to be done for the competition, possibly ever.  I got some extra stuff done, but I'm still a zillion miles away from a working prototype.  I'm pretty much happy to abandon it now, but if ever I think in the future of a way of getting a prototype to work that won't cost me my sanity and two solid week's work, I will.  Not too late for a joke entry, but I don't feel terribly motivated to do anything like that quite at the moment.
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2008, 05:16:03 AM »

Cry

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2008, 05:25:32 AM »

I haven't played a procedural psychology game since Dr. Sbaitso all the way back on DOS. And that just rephrased whatever I typed as questions along with snide insinuations about my upbringing. Don't give up any post-competition plans!

Josh R
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2008, 11:24:48 AM »

I was looking forward to this... Cry.

Film/TV/Game Composer
Daniel Benmergui
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2008, 11:39:01 AM »

It´s a very tough concept...

Where did you get stuck?

Daniel.
Ludomancy
increpare
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2008, 03:42:21 PM »

It´s a very tough concept...

Where did you get stuck?
The language engine.  Having firstly to code in the various possible sentence structures would be a pain.  Then having to code in a way to naturally navigate from one possible sentence to another would be a pain.  Giving the character some sort of memory so that they wouldn't say the same thing twice wouldn't be too hard, but would be difficult.  Then giving some control to the player to guide the person to talk about certain topics would be a pain.  In short: pain pain pain.  Also, despite not-inconsiderable efforts on my part, all the information about the characters past was stored in a messy way.

I was thinking while walking home there that, if I were to go back to it, I'd structure everything a lot more modularly, and code the speech in at the same time as I was coding in the data for a particular event (wedding, death, job, &c.), so as to 1: make adding more content easier, and 2: to get a working prototype up quickly.  I might do it as well, but I think I'll need to mull it over to get things absolutely straight in my head before I even think about coding it.
Daniel Benmergui
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2008, 05:55:11 PM »

I might do it as well, but I think I'll need to mull it over to get things absolutely straight in my head before I even think about coding it.

Sounds familiar... Wink

Even though you disregarded it, maybe the trick is to avoid the speech. When you read summaries of real psychological therapies that lasted years, you realize there are only some key moments of intervention during the treatment, and the actually important information from the patient can be explained in a short text (of course, you're leaving out many factors, but making a human simulator is out of our reach right now, I think Smiley ). That means most of the speech is actually not interesting...

Of course, I have no applicable ideas on how to solve that problem either.

Daniel.
Ludomancy
increpare
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2008, 06:13:32 PM »

the actually important information from the patient can be explained in a short text (of course, you're leaving out many factors, but making a human simulator is out of our reach right now, I think Smiley ). That means most of the speech is actually not interesting...
True, but the problem in terms of procedurally generating stuff, for a computer to automatically generate interesting scenarios, you (I think) need the possibility that the key episodes in therapy could occur at any moment, when they were talking about anything.  So, in some sense, it seems to me necessary that they have the ability to blab on and on about a wide range of things, because ideally I want the possibility that any one of those could present a clue.  One might reverse-engineer one, I guess (starting from two words that are closely related, associating one with a traumatic incident, another with some relatively harmless activity some years later), but I'm not sure how well that would work. But also: without giving your person a large range of things they *might* say, the possibilities for interesting slips will be tiny.

Hmm: okay, I'm thinking about it again.  To construct the trauma, and the possible slips I could do in an hour or two's programming (on top of what I already have): it requires no coding effort whatsoever.  That would come out with something like "man raped by father.  father wore blue jeans. he keeps on slipping the word 'blue' into his sentences by accident".  But what could I do with that?  It's very much a single event.

I guess I could just have the computer output a gigantic file of all information about the patient's life (in tree form), but with the traumatic event left out, and with all the substitutions put in.  But that doesn't exactly have the same dynamism to me   :D

(on a not unrelated topic, I started working on the planning of a basic Freudian dream simulator today, which I might be able to do without too much effort).
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 06:19:26 PM by increpare » Logged
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2008, 06:35:40 PM »

(on a not unrelated topic, I started working on the planning of a basic Freudian dream simulator today, which I might be able to do without too much effort).

The answer is simple: You want to bang your mother.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Daniel Benmergui
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2008, 07:02:48 PM »

The answer is simple: You want to bang your mother.

That's right.

Psychology works on how you deal with the fact that you can't.

And before you wonder, if you actually do, it's even worse.

Daniel.
Ludomancy
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic