Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 03:38:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsConcept art for a game Idea: Run.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Concept art for a game Idea: Run.  (Read 16367 times)
Shambrook
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: May 11, 2008, 12:31:35 AM »

The only problem I'm having at the moment is learning how to program or finding a prorammer to work with.
The idea of the game is a timed platformer were you basicly have to race through the various levels on foot as fast as possible finding diffrent paths through the levels, through jumping, rolling, vaulting over objects etc.

I wanted to get the animation in it as smoothe as possible and I figure that segmented animation would probbably be the easiest way to do it. As such I designed the charecter with a major visual element at each joint to hide seams at joining sections of the sprite

I intentionly stayed away from the typical sprite style of large heads with small bodies so that I could exagerate his movements more.

I was thinking of having interactive bits throughgout the levels the only thing I'm struggling with at the moment is seperating interactive elements from purley decorational elements.
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 06:07:30 AM »

If the game looks exactly like your pictures, then I'm sold. The world needs more Parkour...
Stij
Level 3

the world's tallest dwarf

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 10:43:35 AM »

I like the art style here. A parkour video game could be great.

(there's actually a game like that in development, called Mirror's Edge. It's in first person, surprisingly. looks promising.)
Shambrook
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 02:22:12 PM »

I like the art style here. A parkour video game could be great.

(there's actually a game like that in development, called Mirror's Edge. It's in first person, surprisingly. looks promising.)

Have to admit, Mirrors Edge was a big influence Tongue
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 07:08:02 PM »

im also working on a game about running.
running and jumping, infact.

mirror's edge blows my soul, but ive always had a thing for games about the kinetic and energising feel of RUNNING.

like all those running sequences from the movie mindgame.
those were awesome.
running is awesome.

difficultman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 07:35:27 PM »

I thought about doing a 1st person running game where you manage your stride, breathing, posture, and direction while running a race.  But It'd probably end up being an overcomplicated rhythm game.  I like the idea of a game based around running.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 08:34:06 PM »

mirror's edge blows my soul, but ive always had a thing for games about the kinetic and energising feel of RUNNING.

those were awesome.
running is awesome.

Where's the Mindgame game fish?

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Lazer
Level 3

:S

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 09:47:37 PM »

those were awesome.
running is awesome.

Fancy Pants Adventure World 2 is pure sex for that reason. And further more any of the early Sonic games.
Corpus
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 12:10:46 AM »

I am working on a Toribash-style parkour game.
Not really.
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 06:27:04 AM »

Also, I obviously don't know anything about Mirror's Edge, but I wonder if the combat sequences were necessary. Maybe it's the plot they created, but I imagine a game based solely on the running and jumping would be insanely awesome by itself without needing any form of combat.

Then again, I feel it might be too much to ask a company like EA to lay off the fists and guns.

FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 06:49:11 AM »

Metanet's new project Robotology is meant to be heavily parkour inspired. I guess N was too.

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
Stij
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 07:45:52 AM »

those were awesome.
running is awesome.

Fancy Pants Adventure World 2 is pure sex for that reason. And further more any of the early Sonic games.
And Dino Run, for that matter.
Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 07:57:19 AM »

those were awesome.
running is awesome.

And Dino Run, for that matter.

Although Dino Run feels a little slow in my opinion, perhaps I just haven't played it enough.

Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 10:21:59 AM »

Although Dino Run feels a little slow in my opinion, perhaps I just haven't played it enough.

i really liked the running physics in dinorun.. it might not have been crazy fast.. but it was well refined i thought.  it simply 'felt' good. 
Corpus
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 10:37:29 AM »

Oh, I disagree. I disliked the running physics in Dino Run strongly. They really ruined it for me. You were just constantly changing speed, and it wasn't cool. It felt like you were grinding along with your brakes down.

DINOSAURS DON'T HAVE BRAKES
Stij
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008, 11:22:50 AM »

Hmm. I liked it, since you actually had to plan your motions, not just hold right and hope for the best.
Jrsquee
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 02:44:23 PM »

Also, I obviously don't know anything about Mirror's Edge, but I wonder if the combat sequences were necessary. Maybe it's the plot they created, but I imagine a game based solely on the running and jumping would be insanely awesome by itself without needing any form of combat.

Super Mario Bros.?
Shambrook
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2008, 03:11:56 PM »

Super Mario Bros.?

There was plenty of combat in Mario?
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2008, 05:29:47 PM »

Super Mario Bros.?

Running and jumping with fairly realistic physics in a modern urban environment in first person. And with an interesting looking protagonist.

(fairly realistic because I don't know if anyone can actually run on walls like the chick does in that trailer)

Shambrook
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2008, 09:47:44 PM »

(fairly realistic because I don't know if anyone can actually run on walls like the chick does in that trailer)

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic