Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69379 Topics- by 58435 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 09:34:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessOur game ripped-off and ported to iPad
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Our game ripped-off and ported to iPad  (Read 3222 times)
vadersb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 26, 2011, 04:46:30 AM »

One of our players notified me that our game - Paradoxion Express was shamelessly ripped-off and ported to iPad - they took all assets - graphics, sounds, levels!  Angry

I've contacted Apple 3 days ago, but the app is still online! Apart from the fact that this port is just a theft, our player said that it's very lame and buggy. So, this a***ole ruins our own efforts to port Paradoxion to Apple devices.

If anybody already dealt with such situation - what else can I do to get that app banned from AppStore?

Thank you!

P.S.

our original version:
http://www.vsbgames.com/games/pxionx/

rip-off port:
http://itunes.apple.com/app/barbillonball/id413627759?mt=8#
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 05:08:27 AM »

Same thing happened here:

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=17029.0

They managed to get the game removed. Maybe they can give some advice?

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
vadersb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 08:56:12 AM »

Thank you! Will contact them!

I've read that thread - looks like it's not easy to get Apple attention to such things!
vadersb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 12:46:55 PM »

Ok, we've got response from Apple, and the day after - that app was removed! Hooray!  Smiley
tametick
Level 3

Could take weeks, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 02:12:01 AM »

Ok, we've got response from Apple, and the day after - that app was removed! Hooray!  Smiley

I'm glad to see Apple resolved the issue for you in a timely manner!

Hopefully cracking down on blatant ripoffs will deter people from doing that in the future. 

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 03:14:54 AM »

Yeah, this is going to keep happening. Notice who made it? Just as with pretty much all the other clones it is a Chinese developer. Even if they only made a thousand dollars before the app got pulled it was probably more than worth the effort.

Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 05:51:28 AM »

All too common.  This kind of gold-rush mentality makes me not want to touch the iMarket with a ten-foot pole.

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
XRA
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 05:33:50 PM »

are there cases out there where a non-flash game has been disassembled and ported to ios?  what can be done to slow down the progress or ability of people trying to do this?

raleigh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 06:41:35 PM »

Publishing your game for iOS from the start would completely preempt cloning attempts.
Zaphos
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 07:07:48 PM »

Yeah, this is going to keep happening. Notice who made it? Just as with pretty much all the other clones it is a Chinese developer. Even if they only made a thousand dollars before the app got pulled it was probably more than worth the effort.
Does apple pay developers that quickly?  I had it in my head they paid monthly or something, so in cases of fraud the developer wouldn't get paid at all?
ink.inc
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 07:10:50 PM »

This leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
namre
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 08:39:36 PM »

Nice to hear this was resolved.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 11:00:44 AM »

Does apple pay developers that quickly?  I had it in my head they paid monthly or something, so in cases of fraud the developer wouldn't get paid at all?
Yeah and did it really make a few thousands? that is the question.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
vadersb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 12:15:25 PM »

are there cases out there where a non-flash game has been disassembled and ported to ios?  what can be done to slow down the progress or ability of people trying to do this?
With non-flash game it is easier to protect the content I believe. "non-flash" is too broad Smiley , but I bet there are ready-to-use solutions for most cases.

As for SWF protection - there are programs that obfuscate and protect the code, but I didn't heard about content protection (And I'm not sure if it's possible as SWF specs are open). You can encrypt content and then decrypt it manually in the code, but, a)thief will be able to use your code to decrypt the content, and b)decryption will take time/annoy players.
Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 10:28:08 AM »

Publishing your game for iOS from the start would completely preempt cloning attempts.

And if you didn't wear such a short skirt around town you wouldn't have been raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallied against.

krasimir
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 05:21:07 AM »

At least Apple can police its store effectively. Imagine some of the "free" app sites. Horror.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic