Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411518 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 02:24:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsJack the Reaper
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 76
Print
Author Topic: Jack the Reaper  (Read 334137 times)
ashpd
Level 1

Umm... Hello!

View Profile
« Reply #940 on: December 23, 2014, 12:43:08 PM »

Fantastic as always Addicted. Every time when I think: "This game cannot be better" you are proving me that I was wrong  Gentleman.
But I have found two serious bugs. The first one with a camera - sometimes an error message appears when I press UP or DOWN for a long time. Sorry, I didn't make a screenshot with that message. And the second one - in the "Baleen Maridian" when I entered to the door in the battleship:

Looks like the tiles are missing or something. Or perhaps it was an end of the demo?
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #941 on: December 23, 2014, 03:09:02 PM »

Ahh so sorry about that!!
Thank you very much, Im glad you like the improvements! I understand about this error message, and it's been a thorn in my side for a while now. You can click "ignore" on that error and it will continue to play like normal. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I'm in a rush to leave the house at the moment, so I'll copypaste this text I wrote for another site to explain that stage ending thing:

In the demo of my game, it’ll end prematurely due to an oversight on my part, on the “Baleen Maridian” stage! Thankfully, this is close to the normal end of the demo, but I’d still like to put out a small update (when I can get home later tonight!) that lets you go past that place, to see the rest of the stages! After that is a river stage, and some stages involving ruins and Nazca lines. (and a Kero-chan robot)

So, continue to enjoy the demo, dont worry! It’s just missing about 4-5 stages right now! I’ll announce when I can update it again!

Positron
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #942 on: December 23, 2014, 03:13:57 PM »

I got a copy of the text from the camera bug:

for object CamLook:

Error in expression:Player.vspeed
 position 8: Unknown variable vspeed

Occurred with the shield power equipped after holding down from some time and being hit by an enemy from behind.  (Enemy in question was one of the exploding red blobby guys early on)

Otherwise, so far so good Smiley
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #943 on: December 24, 2014, 06:58:06 AM »

Thank you! I just uploaded a new fixed version of the demo in the first page of this thread.
It should allow you to go past the stage that's been accidentally blocked off, and I think I've finally fixed that CamLook bug that's been bothering us for so long.

Positron
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #944 on: December 24, 2014, 08:33:16 AM »

I actually was able to reproduce the Camlook error again, and have better information now.  Figured I'd post here instead of twitter so I can provide better context.  Error code is slightly different.

Code:
for object CamLook:

Error in expression:CamLook.y
 position 9: Unknown variable y

This is in Machine Gun Foliage, near the start at the bottom, though I've been able to reproduce it elsewhere.  Essentially it seems to only happen if you're stationary and have held up or down long enough for the screen to scroll (in a location that it can scroll) and take a hit while still holding that camera position.

If the camera begins to snap back or you move before getting hit, the error doesn't occur, only if you're stationary with the camera scrolled.  I've only had it happen in 'natural' play once, but I hope that helps track it down, you're doing a fantastic job with this!
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #945 on: December 24, 2014, 02:20:18 PM »

Great game. Frankly, for game of this quality I'd pay somewhat serious buck ($15-$30). What games I can compare quality of this one to?

- Shovel Knight
- Cave Story
- Megaman X
- Fez
- Knytt (any of it, really)

And probably I will once I start to earn serious money (what I earn right now is barely enough for food, bills and one game/bundle per month so I really can't "donate" anything).

Be a computer virus!

I cannot C well, so I stick with simpler languages.

There are no impossible things, there is only lack of skill.
ACOM
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #946 on: December 24, 2014, 02:56:21 PM »

I have seen this game since the beginning of the devlog, and I have to say that each time looks better. My greetings Smiley
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #947 on: December 24, 2014, 04:40:08 PM »

Code:
for object CamLook:

Error in expression:CamLook.y
 position 9: Unknown variable y
Ahh, that helps a lot, thank you. and thank you for the compliment! That error can happen anywhere, not just that stage, but now that I see this, I can tell exactly what I did wrong. Gamemaker is a little fickle when it comes to code sometimes, and it was a silly mistake on my part. I think I've finally gotten it fixed now, thank you.

@darkhog, thank you! Dont worry or feel bad if you can't or don't want to donate, I dont take offense to it. I understand how it is. I appreciate the verbal support.

@ACOM, Im glad you've stuck with it for so long! greetings to you too.

Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #948 on: December 24, 2014, 05:18:32 PM »

I love (LOVE) your enemy designs Smiley So much character, it reminds me of Cave Story and old Nintendo. I've only played a bit of the demo but I intend to play further.

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #949 on: December 24, 2014, 06:29:05 PM »

Thank you very much!

LaziJay
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #950 on: December 27, 2014, 08:24:41 PM »

So far, I have seen a GREAT improvement in the update so far. I like how Jack grunts when he loses a life xD However, there are two stages in this game where music is not played at all. Its Canopy Hopping and First Tree.

Other than that, I love the extra unlockables you've added to the update, like "Fortuna" (hope I am not spoiling). I got like 6 of them unlocked so far xD. How will they be used in the game?
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #951 on: December 27, 2014, 08:30:16 PM »

i love the name.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #952 on: December 27, 2014, 11:07:13 PM »

So far, I have seen a GREAT improvement in the update so far. I like how Jack grunts when he loses a life xD However, there are two stages in this game where music is not played at all. Its Canopy Hopping and First Tree.

Other than that, I love the extra unlockables you've added to the update, like "Fortuna" (hope I am not spoiling). I got like 6 of them unlocked so far xD. How will they be used in the game?
Thank you very much! that grunt is me testing how his voice will sound whenever I put the rest of it in.
I'm sorry about those stages without the music. I was frantically trying to upload the fixed demo that I forgot to put that track in with the files, therefore you can download that track here and put it next to the game and it should work fine! Sorry for the inconvenience: https://www.dropbox.com/s/g3s2l8n8j257yll/Machine_Gun_Flora.pttune?dl=0
As for the unlockables, Im glad you like them! I dont think it's a spoiler to say the name of one of them. If you saw it's name that means you must have found all five of the OOParts for it, good job! in the final game, some of those will be in different places than in the demo, just to say. They aren't able to be summoned yet as of that demo, so you can't do anything with them yet sadly. They'll be used in the game to enhance your own power, I'll say.

and gunswordfist, thank you. did you mean the name of the game?

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #953 on: December 28, 2014, 05:32:40 AM »

I finally hunkered down and fixed these platforms in the bee fortress, now they're honey containers and you can ride them upward inside the honey

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #954 on: December 28, 2014, 02:16:44 PM »

yes, the name of the game is clever.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
ashpd
Level 1

Umm... Hello!

View Profile
« Reply #955 on: December 30, 2014, 01:50:17 AM »

Uhh... I have found few more bugs:

1. The door in the starship doesn't opens when I played on easy mode. I tried to destroy that panel with various weapons, but the door was still locked.

2. The shop is missing in the global map for easy mode. Or... Perhaps it was planned from beginning?

3. In "Baleen Maridian" I was stuck in this spot and there is no way to climb out.

4. Does Jack supposed to be invincible when he uses "shovel"? I tried to bury him and wait when the enemies will pass by, but he always get a hit when they touch him.
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #956 on: December 30, 2014, 04:24:46 AM »

Thank you for bringing these to my attention, ashpd.
1. oh wow, this was a big oversight on my part. I immediately found what was wrong and it's fixed now. Will work find in the next update. Im sorry, for now you have to play on normal if you want to get past that part.

2. for some reason I apparently thought it was a good idea to make the shop unavailable in easy mode. fixed it so that it appears always.

3. oops, another oversight. I've fixed that now as well, thanks.

4. He should be, but I might have forgotten to change a few things around so that he is, I'll have that fixed by the next update as well.

Storsorgen
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #957 on: January 07, 2015, 01:26:56 AM »

Some feedback!

The new and added enemies + sounds are great, the game feels even more professional than before!
The new backgrounds are incredibly beautiful.

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #958 on: January 07, 2015, 02:41:01 AM »

Thank you so much! I'm glad you think so. I feel my work hasn't been in vain!
Were you able to go past the part that would crash for you?

Storsorgen
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #959 on: January 07, 2015, 03:31:11 AM »

No, still going to try the compatability thing. This is Storsorgen from twitter as well, I need two mediums to praise you sufficiently  Embarrassed
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 76
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic