Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411514 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 01:17:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsJack the Reaper
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 76
Print
Author Topic: Jack the Reaper  (Read 334115 times)
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #960 on: January 07, 2015, 03:41:17 AM »

Haha, well I appreciate it regardless

BMF54123
Level 0

Moogle+

View Profile WWW
« Reply #961 on: January 07, 2015, 09:28:45 PM »

Great demo as always, but sadly a few more bugs to report. Sad

In certain areas like this one, where there is a one-block gap that Jack cannot pass through, Jack will get stuck in place and "vibrate" as though he's landing from a jump every frame (notice the dust clouds around his feet). You have to hold left and jump to get him unstuck. This behavior also occurred when I clipped into the edge of a two-block-tall post in another level.

This poor guy still refuses to die sometimes. WTF It's like his normal death animation gets interrupted when he hits the ceiling or something.

I managed to get this guy stuck here twice in a row. He'll stick there for about 10 seconds or so before shooting off the bottom of the screen at ludicrous speed.

I've also discovered that I need to turn off audio acceleration on my laptop, otherwise sound effects will frequently crackle and/or play much later than they're supposed to. Research indicates that this may be an internal GameMaker problem, though, so I doubt anything can be done about it short of switching to an external audio DLL.
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #962 on: January 07, 2015, 09:41:54 PM »

Thank you! I'll fix these to the best of my ability.
1. Can you tell me any other places you've gotten stuck like that top screenshot? It's a place-specific problem that I have to go in and fix manually.
2. This is odd, because nothing (that I can see) in his programming should even allow him to do that anymore, but I'll look over it all again and find out what the problem is.
3. Sometimes these characters get stuck on corners when they're flying like that. I have an idea of how to fix this though.
4. That's unfortunate about the sound, but it's not too bad I suppose.

Also I've been seeing a lot of people's screenshots that look very blurry. I don't have pixel smoothing turned on, so it shouldnt look like that, but from my own experience, if "Aero" is turned off on windows, it makes the game look blurry like this. I'd rather it doesn't look blurry like that at all, though.

Bass-Windu
Level 0

I like making pixel art. Not that good though.

View Profile
« Reply #963 on: January 07, 2015, 09:49:39 PM »

Looks pretty cool! The aesthetic of it is pleasing too. Smiley

"Dude, just chill." - Abraham Lincoln
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #964 on: January 07, 2015, 09:51:16 PM »

Thank you very much!

BMF54123
Level 0

Moogle+

View Profile WWW
« Reply #965 on: January 07, 2015, 09:54:32 PM »

1. Can you tell me any other places you've gotten stuck like that top screenshot? It's a place-specific problem that I have to go in and fix manually.

Ah, nuts! I'll be sure to carefully note any other places I get stuck next time I play the game.

Also I've been seeing a lot of people's screenshots that look very blurry. I don't have pixel smoothing turned on, so it shouldnt look like that, but from my own experience, if "Aero" is turned off on windows, it makes the game look blurry like this. I'd rather it doesn't look blurry like that at all, though.

I still use Windows XP on my laptop most of the time, and it's always blurry like this (many emulators are the same way). I believe it's a difference in DirectX implementations between XP and newer versions. It looks sharp as intended if I play the game in Windows 7, but then I get those weird scaling issues I mentioned in one of my previous posts. Sad
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #966 on: January 07, 2015, 09:58:46 PM »

I'd appreciate it!
And I understand. Oddly, I seem to have found a fix for that scaling issue just recently. It turns out that if I add a single layer of pixels around a sprite that's doing that, it fixes it entirely. A lot of Jack's bullet attacks had this problem, I added an extra pixel to the width and height of the sprite to "buffer" it, and the problem disappeared...

Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #967 on: January 07, 2015, 10:22:19 PM »

That mushroom is just the best.

afilionComposer
Level 0

Music Composer for Games and Media.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #968 on: January 07, 2015, 11:45:17 PM »

Amazing game!  Who, Me?  Waaagh!
Just wondering, who is your composer?  The music fits the game like a glove.  Hand Metal Left

Music Composer for Games and Media.
http://Afilion.ca
Storsorgen
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #969 on: January 08, 2015, 12:23:18 AM »

Raku is the composer himself, and the tracks are absolutley top notch!
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #970 on: January 08, 2015, 12:29:56 AM »

@Quicksand-T Thank you!

and @afilionComposer, Storsorgen is right, I'm making the music for my game, which is probably why it fits so well!
Being a one-person team, I dont have to worry about differing ideals or anything, so I think generally everything fits well together.

and thanks @Storsorgen!

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #971 on: January 08, 2015, 07:08:29 PM »

this has come a long way, congratulations for keeping at it, best of luck on the final stretch

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #972 on: January 10, 2015, 09:01:07 AM »

Thank you! I'm doing my best to work on it any chance I can get!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #973 on: January 10, 2015, 09:20:41 AM »

Great game. Perhaps you could set up GameJolt page for it (unless it's there)? That would raise awareness of your project.

For the record, I still think you should release game at least in pay-what-you-want model, it's so great in quality that anyone who'd decide to pay wouldn't have any second thoughts about it.

Be a computer virus!

I cannot C well, so I stick with simpler languages.

There are no impossible things, there is only lack of skill.
quan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #974 on: January 16, 2015, 06:55:45 PM »

Been following this for a while now but I wanted to post just to keep up to date with this devlog. This game looks so cute and I'm surprised at how much gameplay there is in the demo haha. I've said it before but keep up the great work dude.
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #975 on: January 16, 2015, 07:20:32 PM »

@darkhog, I don't think it's on GameJolt, this is the first hearing of that site. I could do that.
the game is already technically pay-what-you-want because I accept donations if people choose.

@AnalCentipede, thank you very much! I recognize your username. Thank you for your ongoing support!

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #976 on: January 20, 2015, 01:11:07 PM »

So, I finally put in mid-stage checkpoints!
Once you pass a big blue gravestone in a stage, if you die you can re-enter the stage and touch the being that came out. Which stage currently has that being is shown on the map, and goes away if you enter another stage (but stays if you go into the shop).

My problem now is that since I know the game too well, I don't know specifically which stages would be best to have these checkpoints.
To those who have played the current demo, what are some stage suggestions that should use checkpoints? If you dont know the stage names specifically, a descriptor of the stage will work. Where to put the checkpoint in the stage would be helpful too. I've already put several checkpoints in the first few stages before the first main boss, one of which is right before Berserker Poinsetta.

NinjAttack81
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #977 on: January 21, 2015, 01:18:17 PM »

Hey Rakugaki-Otoko!  Still loving this game and looking forward to its completion!  You're doing great!

So, checkpoints, eh?  Nice addition!  Methinks "Doggy Paddle" would benefit from having one, as the first half can be quite tough without the right gear. Placing a checkpoint right after that paddlin' would be sweet, since there is still more stage, followed by a boss fight afterwards.  Love that boss, by the way.  Smiley

Anyway, that's the only one I can think of off top so far! :D     
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #978 on: January 21, 2015, 01:34:26 PM »

Thank you! that's a good contribution, very helpful, and you even explained why there would be a good reason to put a checkpoint there!

NinjAttack81
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #979 on: January 21, 2015, 02:54:28 PM »

^_^ You're welcome!  Glad to have helped you out!
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 76
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic