Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58432 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 08:29:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRogueline
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Print
Author Topic: Rogueline  (Read 35722 times)
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: August 15, 2011, 08:27:55 AM »

thanks guys.

sonicblastoise: head on over to the feedback thread. I can always use more feedback.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: August 16, 2011, 10:34:33 PM »

well no new build to show at the moment, but lots of stuff has been going on.

Updates:
so the leveling up mechanic is gone for now. it seems most people didnt care about the stats so much as the heal. so I took that into consideration. I am upping the health of the main characters and doing an overall rebalancing of the health and attack powers of the monsters.

I am keeping the blue bar and using for mana now. when the bar fills up one of the tokens below will light up. you can have a max of 3. for each one you get to use the heroes special ability. Right now the Cleric is the only working one and he has a heal spell. I am still trying to figure this out gameplay wise. I dont know if I want each character to have several spells, or perhaps the player can choose one going into battle. if i give the player two I can play around with the different spells and combinations more making heroes more unique. which was a big complaint I got so far. also a couple items were added. and working on the hero select screen tomorrow and redoing the inventory screen.

couple spell ideas:
Heal - heals you
Life drain - next attack heals you whatever damage you do.
polymorph - turn enemy into a 1/1 chicken
fireball - do massive damage
Forage - this randomly gives you an item, like a healing apple.
Clense - remove status
Rage - do + 4 extra damage (works well with life drain)

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: August 17, 2011, 01:28:54 PM »

yay more updates.

so currently have the 2 spells in the game. There is Heal and fireball. I have two more going in. Hunt and Mean Drunk. the new dwarf character holds the Mean Drunk special. it gives him a status to do extra damage over the next 5 turns.

aside from that I need to make animations for the special moves and then draw out a hero select screen, which I am thinking will be a Heroes guild. the player will select a quest and then be given 4 heroes to choose from.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: August 20, 2011, 01:49:52 PM »

game is still being worked on. I am messing with a couple different things this weekend though. right now Combat, Special Items, and UI.

1. attacks seem pretty simple right not and their is no real chance so I am trying a build with accuracy stats. basically players will be able to do 1-5 damage and they will have 1-5 accuracy. they will of course be able to change these over time as a character progression. monsters will of course have this range which adds a double blind situation to the players choices.

2. I have been having a tough time with specials and finally figured it out. originally the player gained mana and that let them use a special and you could probably get 2 specials before you had to battle the boss. then I switched it and it was a one time use. this really worked, because the player only got one use and you usually wanted to save it for the boss, but you didn't need to so you could use it to get yourself out of a pinch if needed. now some of the ideas I had for specials made very good ideas towards items also. Why should only one character be able to have this. well this got me thinking whats the difference between a one time use spell and a one time use item that does the same thing. I have already coded in an option to start the player with specific items. so this will probably be the idea I use now. so it will be one less thing the player will need to worry about. this also cuts out a lot of extra code and art and gives me another option I originally thought of which is generating a "Shelf" of items and the player can choose which items to take as they set off. so specials will be out, special items that act exactly the same will be in.

3. and UI I am playing with the UI to make sure I get the needed info to the player. so I have a few new ones down below. playing with the status location and coutdown and also the attack and accuracy stats. what do you think?

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 20, 2011, 03:21:38 PM »

Numbers work best, to be honest. I think bottom-right's status with bottom-left's attack/accuracy numbers work best. They give the most room, balance the screen the most, AND portray the best information at a glance.
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: August 20, 2011, 03:37:33 PM »

Numbers work best, to be honest. I think bottom-right's status with bottom-left's attack/accuracy numbers work best. They give the most room, balance the screen the most, AND portray the best information at a glance.

I agree.

dEnamed
Level 4

Bored was AmnEn.

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 20, 2011, 03:51:00 PM »

+1 on that.

Obviously of demonic ancestry. In that case, can I get my wings please?
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: August 20, 2011, 04:36:38 PM »

excellent. that's pretty much how I feel. although I might see about making the status icon smaller.

now back to writing accuracy algorithms.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: August 21, 2011, 02:01:28 PM »

Big Update

alright so lots of changes.

- specials are out but special Items are in. works much much better.
- heroes start with their respective items (I.E. dwarf starts with 2 things of booze)
- Statuses are out for the moment to make balancing easier.
- all enemies have a chance to drop items now.
- many new items added

working on the inventory screen and hoping to post up the new version hopefully tonight

currently thinking of reasons to attack more powerful characters. leveling might go back in and then the player will be able to increase their stats. still prototyping lots of different stuff to see what feels the best.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: August 22, 2011, 07:30:48 PM »

Need more help guys. Working on adding levels back in to add an actual challenge curve.

which one do you like the most. although the banner is cool I dont think it work, and the skull looks okay and would work for enemies, but I need something for both the player and the monster.

Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 22, 2011, 07:55:00 PM »

try using an L or Lv as the icon, might be more recognizable

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 22, 2011, 08:30:26 PM »

LV is definitely the most recognizable: I thought the sparkly was mana, in your original demo. The banner is a cool idea, but too big; maybe a little gold LV would be nice and regal.
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: August 22, 2011, 08:57:09 PM »

how about those bottom two. ( I might make the LV blue to match the "XP" bar above it)

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 22, 2011, 09:06:26 PM »

Yeah, bottom-left (or bottom-left in blue) would probably be nicest. Awesome job.
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 22, 2011, 09:18:19 PM »

I say go Bottom-Right. Eye catching.

Also, maybe have a stronger symbol for the... shield in the bottom. It's a little blobby at the moment. Two colours might work fine.

It's looking better and better though! Keep going.  Beer! Hand Shake Right
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: August 22, 2011, 09:25:12 PM »

do you think its just the colors or the actually symbol design itself?

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: August 22, 2011, 09:55:13 PM »

do you think its just the colors or the actually symbol design itself?
I think it's the symbol. It seems like a blob. If you curve the bottom then it might work?

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: August 22, 2011, 09:59:50 PM »

Ill do a bunch of different ones, and we will see what works best. problem is its hard to get much detail in only 5x5

edit

tried some different stuff and other colors.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 10:44:45 PM by JasonPickering » Logged

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 23, 2011, 01:01:50 PM »

The second from the left, blue, is probably your best bet.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: August 23, 2011, 08:20:23 PM »

I prefer the rightmost ones

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic