Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411744 Posts in 69406 Topics- by 58460 Members - Latest Member: hideworks

May 23, 2024, 08:24:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallCardboard Box Assembler now on Adult Swim
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Cardboard Box Assembler now on Adult Swim  (Read 3944 times)
anosou
« on: March 18, 2011, 12:44:30 PM »

Cardboard Box Assembler, a game Miguel Ángel Pérez Martíne and  Fernando Ramallo with music by myself, was just released at Adult Swim. It's a hybrid 2d/3d platform-puzzle game set in cubes and features a mentally ill cardboard box assembler.

Check it out here: http://games.adultswim.com/cardboard-box-assembler-puzzle-online-game.html

We'd love to hear what you think if you decide to play it!
SFBTom
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 12:59:20 PM »

I really loved it, a great use of Flash's (currently) limited 3D capabilities, and some excellent level design. The difficulty curve was spot on too.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 01:37:16 PM »

http://www.sophiehoulden.com/games/boxgame/
anosou
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 01:48:15 PM »

I actually don't know if CBA was made before box game, I'll have to ask Miguel since I came in late, but yeah.. this is kind of like posting Crush in all FEZ threads. Box Game looks great though, hadn't seen that before  Embarrassed
deathtotheweird
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 02:06:11 PM »

box game is old as shit, I doubt this was made before it.
anosou
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 02:25:43 PM »

box game is old as shit, I doubt this was made before it.

Sounds likely then! I hope CBA can be enjoyable anyway
Atomsk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 02:38:11 PM »

I loved the opening sequence, the music is fan-freaking-tastic.
The game itself: Awesome. I even found myself going 'How the hell did I just get that key'. It was really nice. The graphics feel good, and nothing feels 'off' in any sense, to me at least.

The concept for 'Bonus Map 2' was really fun.
The hardest part: Bonus Map 3. I got too frustrated and didn't beat it :I

Just beat the game though, and I found the difficulty just right. Thanks for the game!
anosou
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 02:54:24 PM »

I loved the opening sequence, the music is fan-freaking-tastic.
The game itself: Awesome. I even found myself going 'How the hell did I just get that key'. It was really nice. The graphics feel good, and nothing feels 'off' in any sense, to me at least.

The concept for 'Bonus Map 2' was really fun.
The hardest part: Bonus Map 3. I got too frustrated and didn't beat it :I

Just beat the game though, and I found the difficulty just right. Thanks for the game!

Did you play the mini-game in bonus map 3? Go back and down the ladder Wink There's a musical bonus there too!

thanks for the feedback mate  Gentleman
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 03:08:25 PM »

Yeah, I've seen a few games like this before, not just boxgame.  Still, this is probably my favourite of the ones I've played.

The music *might* be responsible for this attitude.  Maybe.  Who, Me?

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
anosou
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 03:10:00 PM »

Yeah, I've seen a few games like this before, not just boxgame.  Still, this is probably my favourite of the ones I've played.

The music *might* be responsible for this attitude.  Maybe.  Who, Me?

Baww, you're too kind!

Just for the record, this game was made after Box Game but it wasn't until Miguel and Fernando showed it at a local Argentinian game jam that someone mentioned Box Game and they were made aware of it. Apparently Sophie likes CBA anyway so I guess it's no big deal. Smiley
Zaphos
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 03:53:54 PM »

Box Game was pretty short, so I'm glad people are exploring the idea further Smiley

I only played the first few areas so far, but am enjoying this!
deathtotheweird
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 04:08:37 PM »

Sounds likely then! I hope CBA can be enjoyable anyway

yeah it's still fun. just thought I'd drop in and give sophie a little credit since her game is pretty cool too. but as been mentioned it is a bit on the short side (and a tad unpolished when compared to this one)

and this one has good music  Gentleman
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 04:26:48 PM »

great music  Smiley

Atomsk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 04:45:46 PM »

Did you play the mini-game in bonus map 3? Go back and down the ladder Wink There's a musical bonus there too!

I only found the arcade machine, got frustrated when I got about 75 boxes and went back to map xD I'll have to replay~
Adult Swim games are pretty exclusive, right? This won't be on Kongregate or anything?
anosou
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 05:03:09 PM »

I only found the arcade machine, got frustrated when I got about 75 boxes and went back to map xD I'll have to replay~
Adult Swim games are pretty exclusive, right? This won't be on Kongregate or anything?

The arcade machine was the mini-game! :D

And no, it's on adult swim only. I do have the rights for the soundtrack though.
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2011, 02:09:02 AM »

I had forgotten about Box Game, which is a far better comparison than what I was thinking.

The game that came to mind while I was playing the first level was Monolith, but this is much better than Monolith. I like CBA's music (my favorite part of the game) so much more, the character and levels move much more smoothly, and exploration of the levels is far more open.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
anosou
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2011, 02:33:21 AM »

I had forgotten about Box Game, which is a far better comparison than what I was thinking.

The game that came to mind while I was playing the first level was Monolith, but this is much better than Monolith. I like CBA's music (my favorite part of the game) so much more, the character and levels move much more smoothly, and exploration of the levels is far more open.

Thanks Smiley Glad you liked the music and game
andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2011, 05:55:15 PM »

Comparisons to its similar predecessors aside, I rather enjoyed this game. It kept me at least somewhat entertained until the end, which hasn't happened in a while, especially for a puzzle-ish game. At first I really didn't like the cutscenes or general style of the game, but it slowly grew on me until I was pretty fond of it.

I feel like this kind of mechanic would make for a good exploration game on more complicated shapes than cubes, and with more interesting environments than generic cube-textures.

Having things go on inside the cube could help, too. There was a little of this in the bonus level which had a bunch of the boxhat-wearing guy floating in the middle of the cube. It seems a bit of a shame to use the 3d in such a shallow, surface- and gameplay-only way.

The music was good too

Atomsk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2011, 10:31:51 PM »

Just thought I'd give an extra congratulations, I just saw a commercial for the game on Cartoon Network!
anosou
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2011, 03:08:55 AM »

Just thought I'd give an extra congratulations, I just saw a commercial for the game on Cartoon Network!

They totally messed up the sound on that one, didn't bother to take down the volume of the music so when the voice entered it just compressed it like hell! :D Nice to be on TV though.

Thanks!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic