Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 07:36:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat are you playing?
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 486
Print
Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 903465 times)
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4280 on: October 22, 2013, 12:13:33 PM »

It's kind of amazing how Blizzard's output ranges from the most skill-based competitive tournament viable RTS all the way down to grind-fest randomized click until you drop dead dungeon crawlers.
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #4281 on: October 22, 2013, 12:34:27 PM »

I don't see the difference.

SCII is all in the details, and so is Diablo. WoW is what, a cross? These games are stacked mechanics, iterated on ad infinitum. At the end we get a game with a lot of depth. Then they stretch it out. Multiplayer, single player, both. Story.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4282 on: October 22, 2013, 12:47:49 PM »

It's kind of amazing how Blizzard's output ranges from the most skill-based competitive tournament viable RTS all the way down to grind-fest randomized click until you drop dead dungeon crawlers.
i actually prefer the latter oops
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #4283 on: October 22, 2013, 12:57:15 PM »

I want to grind my SCII micro with loot drops.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4284 on: October 22, 2013, 05:12:32 PM »

The game was still sort of addictive back but since they actively adjusted the expansion pack it became an eternal trap for some. I don't think they designed the original D2 to be like this. It's a process of understanding how to trap players more and more until they jump on the pay-for-win/pay-for-time train.
basically i think vanilla d2 wasn't designed to be addictive, then blizz realized what their game could be and decided to capitalize on it with lord of destruction. kinda wish there were diablo clones ripping of d1 and vanilla d2 rather than LoD because i still happen to think diablo is a very nice co-op game.

Path of Exile is pretty much that. It is certainly like a different sequel branch from Diablo 2 in mnay ways.

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4285 on: October 22, 2013, 05:16:33 PM »

With the most ridiculous skill system ever.

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4286 on: October 22, 2013, 05:19:42 PM »

Its not really an skill system as it is a stat allocation system. It works rather well to be honest, much better than just chigging numbers to your primary stats and shit.

The skill system is basically an extended concept of the gem/rune system of diablo, inspired by FF7 materia (and you could say the grid thing is based on FFX).

antoniodamala
« Reply #4287 on: October 22, 2013, 05:27:05 PM »

D2, PoE, Candy Crush, they're all the same thing.

-

Played the first stage of DMC and didn't enjoy it at all. I mean it's technically ok, could have played it all through if I wanted, but it's just not my cup of tea. Should have played God Hand instead.
ericmbernier
Level 3

Sometimes I make games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4288 on: October 22, 2013, 05:41:57 PM »

Jus beat episode one of The Wolf Among Us. Loved every minute of it.

Also, Gone Home is on sale, so I'll probably be playing that next.

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4289 on: October 23, 2013, 03:09:39 AM »

I'm really enjoying the way how fighting bosses in Wonderful 101 gives you good feedback when you manage to get the timing and attacks down right. A lot of the game is about recognizing the visual cues and responding with the right counters. Sometimes you can deduce it by context, like using the whip when you see spikes, or the sword when you see a blue laser. Other times they give you a clue by having a comic-book panel with the appropriate hero appear.

One fight is a giant robot you fight on a UFO who tries to pound you with his fist. You could simply dodge it by moving away or springing out of the way quickly, but if you block it with your Unite Guts his fist bounces away suddenly and he tumbles back. If you deflect his stomp attack in the same manner he stumbles backwards and you can knock his other foot off the UFO. It's a nice touch that makes mastering the tells and blocks all the more satisfying because it makes the fight look completely different when you do it just right.

Even when you don't know what you're doing, you can still pull through because continues literally drop you right back where you died so you can keep whittling down the boss. A player who sucks horrifically at the game can still progress and see the story, and get more opportunities to get better at the game.
Sved
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4290 on: October 23, 2013, 03:53:45 AM »

I "finished" the Stanley Parable. Loved it.
From now on, I will vouch for all games to have an adventure line mode.

... but that is mostly psychological. Check my devlog!
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4291 on: October 23, 2013, 04:22:38 AM »

I "finished" the Stanley Parable. Loved it.
From now on, I will vouch for all games to have an adventure line mode.

I laughed so hard at the baby game.
The entire "Minecraft ending" was so good

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #4292 on: October 23, 2013, 09:01:54 AM »

Beyond too good have surprisingly competent narrative, most of the bad writing does not affect the core act and is tied to small scene, there is blatant mary sueing in the beginning but that smooth out in the later parts. There is enough chapiter with magical emotional resolution with downright unfortunate implication (navajo chapiter) most throw away character being one dimensional. But this is less a problem when you recognize the naive POV of the main dominate the narrative and that with all the gary stu vido games have it's less a problem that the main character come out sometimes as melodramatic marie sue. It is definitely a huge step up for david cage, looks like he hired a team and I bet the less well written scene was his direct participation. Good for him he totally embraced the supernatural nerd in himself because there is less glaring plot holes and it is richer for it...
I would say it's above B level movie but still not oscar worthy material, just a god entertainment that hit all and embrace all the right formula. This last point was kind of a surprise too, it felt sometimes like watching a westernize anime in a good way, it had definite hollywood influence without eschewing video gamey narratives altogether, it's literally a tour of video games settings. Notice I don't use cliché or tropes as words, I think it's more about formula and settings than cliché. I also never say it is good, just competent if a bit inconsistent in quality but this does not affect the main arc only the entertainment filler arc dotted in the game.

I rate it: cheeseburger level

I'm sure that even though it still not for me, it might be a generational game for younger gamer, and that's among all the other attempt like gone home etc...

crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4293 on: October 23, 2013, 03:10:31 PM »

Kekskiller
« Reply #4294 on: October 23, 2013, 03:55:38 PM »

Are these dum hunting games played cause males need to compensate their lack of potential manlyness with unfair technical advantage or are they just so blatantly bad as shown in the videa making them noteworthy to experience?
crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4295 on: October 23, 2013, 04:57:00 PM »

Are these dum hunting games played cause males need to compensate their lack of potential manlyness with unfair technical advantage or are they just so blatantly bad as shown in the videa making them noteworthy to experience?

Well, the prequel to that game is a survival horror hunting game about literal demon hyenas, and features dialog like "We don't hunt for sport, BUT FOR REDEMPTION." And then the sequel, the one in the video, is more like a traditional FPS but does feature evil magic lions. So I can't speak for most hunting games but these two are goddamn baffling.

"Your mother is more comfortable DOWN SOUTH with her SHOPPING MALLS and her TOFU SALAD."
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4296 on: October 23, 2013, 05:19:57 PM »

I really wish I could enjoy The Wolf Among Us. The visuals are great, and it's in a genre of game I like, but the writing and voice acting just make me cringe too much. I'd have preferred a completely original setting instead of mashing a bunch of fairy tales together and trying to make them more adult...there's only so much mileage you can get out of "hey, this cartoon toad just said fuck, haha aren't we clever". The whole thing gives me a bit of an uncomfortable furry vibe, too.

Is the writing and acting any better in other Telltale games? I haven't actually played any of them yet.

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4297 on: October 23, 2013, 06:04:35 PM »

I am kind of worried that playing games like Dangerous Hunts ironically for this long may have impossible to predict effects on a human being. This is the sort of thing that only appears retrospectively during murder trials and super hero origin stories.
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4298 on: October 23, 2013, 07:01:17 PM »

I really wish I could enjoy The Wolf Among Us. The visuals are great, and it's in a genre of game I like, but the writing and voice acting just make me cringe too much. I'd have preferred a completely original setting instead of mashing a bunch of fairy tales together and trying to make them more adult...there's only so much mileage you can get out of "hey, this cartoon toad just said fuck, haha aren't we clever". The whole thing gives me a bit of an uncomfortable furry vibe, too.

Is the writing and acting any better in other Telltale games? I haven't actually played any of them yet.

antoniodamala
« Reply #4299 on: October 23, 2013, 07:27:07 PM »

I heard some really good things about the Walking Dead.

Besides that, I used to play a lot of Sam & Max in my lucasarts/adventures phase, and they got some good lowbrow humor. (Don't know if I would still enjoy it though)
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 486
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic