Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69379 Topics- by 58435 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 04:43:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat are you playing?
Pages: 1 ... 344 345 [346] 347 348 ... 486
Print
Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 904034 times)
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6900 on: June 07, 2015, 09:42:16 PM »

Just hooked up the ol' N64 and fired up Star Fox 64. Managed to not make a fool of myself on my first replay in years. Thoughts and observations:

• Oh goodness, aiming is so much harder than I remember, and I remember being REALLY good at it back in the day.
  • Sometimes I accidentally fired off bombs when I was trying to shoot and boost at the same time. Makes me question how good the control scheme really was.
  • Only medaled Macbeth, though I came surprisingly close on some levels, even Area 6.
  • I kind of feel like Aquas nearly ate my lunch. Also, Peppy shouts "Do a Barrel Roll!" on this level too? WHAT?
  • I got spotted by the very first light on Zoness. Really. Shrug
  • On that same note, that Zoness boss... it was only one of two occasions I broke a wing.
  • I melted Leon on Venom before they'd even finished their intro. I don't remember them being that weak. But Slippy went down and it frustrated me so that was the only time I "lost a life" to get Slippy back. Stupidly, I didn't consider that it'd reset my laser. Then Slippy still went down.  Lips Sealed
  • I will admit that it is still downright terrifying getting chased by the Andross brain and its tentacles of doom.  Waaagh!
  • With a broken wing, I was even a little on edge for the final escape.

All in all, its pretty clear why I sunk so many hours into this game way back when, even if it didn't give me quite the same jump it used to.

Haha, I have similar thoughts on the goddamn control scheme. I hadnt bothered to go far nowadays, I dont think I did so much when I was younger either, since I often played it more competitively.

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6901 on: June 07, 2015, 11:16:20 PM »

I finally got around to finishing Mass Effect 1.

Went to start ME 2, but I can't get into it. I don't want to play a shooter.
it has more dating sims stuff. you just got rid of the inventory and pretend you shooting people at the citadel mattered

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6902 on: June 08, 2015, 02:36:04 AM »

Went back to Wind Waker to get the last few figurines, but apparently I've missed the opportunity to take a photo (why do they call them pictographs and not photographs BTW?) of the Rito that apparently disappears at some point; we're otherwise completely done. T-T Where is that Rito and when does it disappear?

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6903 on: June 08, 2015, 02:54:41 AM »

Went back to Wind Waker to get the last few figurines, but apparently I've missed the opportunity to take a photo (why do they call them pictographs and not photographs BTW?) of the Rito that apparently disappears at some point; we're otherwise completely done. T-T Where is that Rito and when does it disappear?

Wind Waker has a lot of missable pictographs. It's possible to get them all in your first run of the game and then have the second quest to catch what you missed, but it is pretty easy to fail to get them all.

Here's a guide that calls out all the statues you can miss:

http://www.ign.com/wikis/the-legend-of-zelda-wind-waker/Gallery_Figurines

Looks like the missable Rito vanishes when you unlock the Earth Temple.
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #6904 on: June 10, 2015, 03:16:06 PM »

I finished the second Ace Attorney game this week, and the struggle to avoid spoilers is real. On one hand, I very much want to go on the internet and see what everybody else thinks about the case I just played, but on the other hand, doing so will inevitably expose me to something I shouldn't know yet. I feel like the nature of this series and its continuity makes it especially vulnerable to being spoiled compared to other video games, so I'm going to try and play through the whole thing as quickly as possible to alleviate this.

People say the second game isn't very good compared to the first one. I think I can at least partially agree with that. The quality of the cases in Justice For All is a mixed bag, with some crappy ones and some really great ones. But the final case is amazing and I'd say it's worth the money just for that alone. This game ends on an incredibly satisfying note.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #6905 on: June 10, 2015, 03:19:24 PM »

I really like how with a goofy seting they were able to make credible character and compelling case, even in the height of ghostbusting nonesense

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #6906 on: June 10, 2015, 03:36:32 PM »

If you think about it for a moment, the Kurain Channeling Technique is a terrifying concept. I would not want to become a spirit medium in this world and lend my body to a random dead person while I know nothing about what they plan to do with it. WTF

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
Faust06
Level 5

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #6907 on: June 10, 2015, 04:07:15 PM »

Mario Galaxy is soulless and dull on a depressing level. Nice gimmick though. I'm tossing it away to play Mario 64 instead, it's been a long time. Something to keep me from booting up Binding of Isaac Rebirth yet again.

I noticed there have been some nice sales lately. I almost picked up Spacechem, probably should have.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6908 on: June 10, 2015, 04:44:57 PM »

i wouldnt be that harsh on galaxy. i thought it was fun while it lasted but it's not a game that i can ever see myself replaying.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6909 on: June 10, 2015, 04:48:42 PM »

@Faust06

High five!

JWK5
« Reply #6910 on: June 10, 2015, 06:18:00 PM »

Doing the video game shuffle:

Sleeping Dogs -> Persona 3: FES -> Soul Calibur 5 -> Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny -> Resident Evil 5 -> Dark Souls 2

Though the Grand Theft Auto formula is getting pretty stale I really like Sleeping Dogs, the combat for the game is awesome.
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6911 on: June 10, 2015, 06:44:28 PM »

I think I clocked in at an hour and a half to solve the final puzzle from start to finish.
That's too easy. A hard puzzle should give you some sleepless nights:P

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6912 on: June 10, 2015, 07:25:45 PM »

Doing the video game shuffle:

Sleeping Dogs -> Persona 3: FES -> Soul Calibur 5 -> Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny -> Resident Evil 5 -> Dark Souls 2

Though the Grand Theft Auto formula is getting pretty stale I really like Sleeping Dogs, the combat for the game is awesome.

I worked on that :D

JWK5
« Reply #6913 on: June 10, 2015, 07:29:03 PM »

It's becoming one of my favorites. What part did you work on?
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6914 on: June 10, 2015, 07:33:09 PM »

It's becoming one of my favorites. What part did you work on?

A whole bunch of different areas, the major ones being tools authoring, pipeline, console stuff and stuff to help enable the artists and designers. Our company functions a little different than the larger ones where people are shoehorned into a specific position which I really like. I hate doing the same thing every day for months/years.

JWK5
« Reply #6915 on: June 10, 2015, 08:42:30 PM »

Well in that case let me just say you've done a great job, the game is a blast. Maybe it seems trivial, but for me any game that I feel is "good" I feel that way because on some level it inspires me. With Sleeping Dogs the game has a vibe and flow that is very unique are really pushes a distinct feel.

Gentleman
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6916 on: June 11, 2015, 03:21:45 AM »

Mario Galaxy is a pretty soulful game. It's different from Mario 64 by ditching the continuity between levels and stars, but the quality of the level design (especially the huge visual variety between the levels) is top-notch.

Mario 64 was a really good game but it is not an impossible ideal that can never be matched. Seriously, guys.

Crypt of the Necrodancer is pretty much a masterpiece that everyone should play. I'm pretty sure it's going to be my game of the year. Sadly, though, if you can't move with rhythm it becomes unbeatable. The decision to make the final leg of story mode involve a character who can't use over half the items in the game is also pretty questionable.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #6917 on: June 11, 2015, 04:39:26 AM »

As someone who first played both Mario Galaxy and Mario 64 around the same time, I have to say that Galaxy is better in every way. Better gameplay, better level structure, better story, better graphics/aesthetics ETC. I really don't get why so many people love Mario 64 so much anymore.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6918 on: June 11, 2015, 04:40:24 AM »

Mario 64 was a really good game but it is not an impossible ideal that can never be matched. Seriously, guys.

in the 3d adventure platformer genre it pretty much is B)

galaxy is ok. it's a different game with a focus on cool setpieces and stuff but it doesn't have the same depth 64 had, mainly because 1. the levels are mostly linear 2. mario's moveset is simplified and the skill ceiling is lower. compare speedruns between the 2 games and it's a world of difference. galaxy also suffers from the same problem as all newer nintendo games: the level design is very polished but also very formulaic (galaxy is better in this regard than the new super donkey mario kong watever games, but u can still feel it). most levels are 1 basic concept with a bunch of predictable variations that aren't even tied together but separated into bite sized setpieces (the planets).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 04:57:31 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6919 on: June 11, 2015, 07:38:21 AM »

Galaxy has bad control, bad camera, bad collisions, reliance on set piece over gameplay (fake level design as in it varies the setting spectacle enough to hide the actual actions), hand holding and mindless  collecthon problems (purple coins being the worst offender), you have no freedom (not just in space as in open world but in control and how you tackle problems), it's the equivalent of the worst call of duty clone, a corridor with prescribe actions. It's a super rigid game that don't build up on the idea it introduce and forget about them as soon they are introduced. It's the equivalent of a Bay movie, it's transformer in mario world.

Pages: 1 ... 344 345 [346] 347 348 ... 486
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic