Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 08:35:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWhat are you playing?
Pages: 1 ... 383 384 [385] 386 387 ... 486
Print
Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 903635 times)
Conker
« Reply #7680 on: November 13, 2015, 01:00:03 PM »

its a way better fallout
Faust06
Level 5

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #7681 on: November 13, 2015, 01:47:00 PM »

Went on a trip to Vegas and saw the Hoover Dam, so I had to pick up Fallout: New Vegas. Not impressed so far. Feels like the low rent version of Fallout 3. Incredibly buggy and bland. Seems like a really small loop of music too. Hoping it gets better.

Reaching New Vegas will seem anti-climactic then. It gets somewhat better. I'd recommend veering off the main quest often to just explore. I had more fun with that than the typical delivery side-quests.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7682 on: November 13, 2015, 01:56:58 PM »

its a way better fallout

yes. writing, story and quest design are literally a million times better than fo3, but whatevs
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 02:05:58 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #7683 on: November 13, 2015, 05:27:31 PM »

I don't remember hitting any bugs in NV that weren't mod-induced.

HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7684 on: November 13, 2015, 05:59:53 PM »

forgot you were playing a bethesda game engine huh

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
jeremiah
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7685 on: November 13, 2015, 07:54:15 PM »

Hmm. Thought it was pretty widely known to be buggy in reviews. Anyway, some examples: game wouldn't open and kept minimizing on launch until I tinkered with settings, tons of graphical hiccups (lots of floating plants and weird stuff hanging off a dog's face), an NPC approaches me out of nowhere and starts talking while I'm in the middle of combat, I'm repeatedly getting killed without seeing who is shooting/blowing me up after which the camera clips into my skull. Some of it may not be bugs, but is just really immersion breaking.

The writing seems pretty good so far and I like the factions a lot. I like exploring randomly, but am always getting my ass kicked while doing so. Going to stick with it.

Golden Krone Hotel - a vampire roguelike - dev log
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7686 on: November 13, 2015, 07:58:31 PM »

protip: don't explore randomly and do quests instead. that's where this game really shines. the bethesda open world crap is not very good and mostly just there because it has to be.

fallout new vegas is a flawed game because its obvious the developers and the publisher had different priorities, so as a result it's a "compromise" that doesn't always work. but the good stuff about it is REALLY good.

btw, in case you didn't realize this: NV is the "real" fallout 3, lorewise. it's the story that was meant to be in the original fallout 3 by interplay before that got cancelled and bethsoft acquired the rights. it picks up where FO2 left off.
MeshGearFox
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #7687 on: November 13, 2015, 09:47:36 PM »

protip: don't explore randomly and do quests instead. that's where this game really shines. the bethesda open world crap is not very good and mostly just there because it has to be.

fallout new vegas is a flawed game because its obvious the developers and the publisher had different priorities, so as a result it's a "compromise" that doesn't always work. but the good stuff about it is REALLY good.

btw, in case you didn't realize this: NV is the "real" fallout 3, lorewise. it's the story that was meant to be in the original fallout 3 by interplay before that got cancelled and bethsoft acquired the rights. it picks up where FO2 left off.

Somehow reading this post made me not like New Vegas anymore.

Probably because I guess I THOUGHT, or had at least convinced myself, that liked exploring randomly, except that's not good so clearly I'm wrong in how I approach enjoying games, or enjoying anything really.

Oh welpers.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 12:49:47 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7688 on: November 14, 2015, 02:58:25 AM »

I'm not.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7689 on: November 14, 2015, 08:50:16 AM »

Somehow reading this post made me not like New Vegas anymore.

Probably because I guess I THOUGHT, or had at least convinced myself, that liked exploring randomly, except that's not good so clearly I'm wrong in how I approach enjoying games, or enjoying anything really.

Oh welpers.

maybe u shouldn't take the opinions of random people on the internet so seriously
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7690 on: November 14, 2015, 10:02:08 PM »

The irony of saying that to Mesh.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
MeshGearFox
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #7691 on: November 15, 2015, 12:22:59 AM »

Since when did I ever opinions? What internet!

besides it's not so much that i'm taking your opinions seriously

just that on some level i feel like i AM all of you.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 12:30:08 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7692 on: November 15, 2015, 02:28:03 AM »

new vegas isnt canon
its set in alternate universe where people forgot how to drive cars
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7693 on: November 15, 2015, 05:16:37 AM »

Half Minute Hero is super fun. The second game has a tremendous amount of content for a title with a time limit of 30 seconds.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7694 on: November 15, 2015, 11:25:23 AM »

Right now I'm playingahaha just fucking with you; im not playing any computer games
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7695 on: November 15, 2015, 11:33:06 AM »

any tabletop games?

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7696 on: November 15, 2015, 11:41:59 AM »

any tabletop games?
no
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7697 on: November 15, 2015, 11:45:39 PM »

So I finished the main quest for FO4 this morning and seriously, fuck that game. And fuck the lead writer, Emil Pagliarulo. If you want to play the game and still feel like a human being, don't play the main quest past the end of the second act.

SPOILERS:
The game casts you as a parent who witnesses the murder of their spouse and then the kidnapping of their infant son. So you charge into action and search for your son. Eventually, clues lead to a mysterious group known as the Institute to have kidnapped him, and because of magical cryosleep technogook, your originally infant child is now 10 years old. The Institute is known across the wasteland for kidnapping people and assassinating people and all kinds of bad shit.
The second act climaxes with you confronting your 10 year old son, him being of course completely clueless of who you are and pushes you away - only to discover that the 'child' is actually a synth (synthetic human) made to look like your son, and your REAL son is not 10, but 60, and the head of the Institute. Pretty good story, now the macguffin is the villain. Or is he?

So you have three choices. You can side with the legendary Brotherhood of Steel, the Institute, or an underground synth rights railroad. The BoS is notoriously dicks. Nobody can have tech but them. The Institute kidnaps and assassinates people, and thinks very little of the people "aboveground". And the Railroad doesn't give a shit about synths after it frees them, one of the other faction quests is to stop a synth terrorist who the Railroad "freed". So all choices are dicks.

I went with the most harmless-seeming choice. I THOUGHT. The BoS. Sure, they're dicks. But at least they pretend to care about the people of the Commonwealth, unlike the Railroad and the Institute.
The next BoS quest is to kill the BoS Knight who was your companion up until now.
Then you go and slaughter the Railroad, who are more or less innocents, if sociopaths. Because apparently all the synths have to die because they are inherently tech. This gave me definite feels.
Then you resurrect Liberty Prime from FO3, which is pretty awesome and at least breaks the shame spiral of the plot.
And then you invade the Institute. And you discover that your 60 year old son is also sick. And dying. And he tells you to GTFO before he dies, you can't make him see the error of his ways. That conversation option doesn't even pop up, as far as I can tell, although these vague dialogue selections is a problem with this game.
Then the BoS has you Nuke the institute. Which apparently doesn't harm much of the rest of the Commonwealth - Thank God - but still, fuck that. Visually, it looks like you nuked Boston, again, and the game immediately plays a cutscene to reinforce that idea.
And as a final fucking kicker the game gives you the synthetic 10 year old 'son' as some sort of consolation prize, and the real son leaves you a message pleading, "Give the boy a chance".

Fuck this game so hard for making me feel like an asshole.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #7698 on: November 16, 2015, 12:11:14 AM »

Come on give it a chance!

Oroboros
Level 0

Senpai

View Profile
« Reply #7699 on: November 16, 2015, 05:00:20 AM »

Trying to play Fallout 4 but I'm still deeply entrenched in Metal Gear Solid V. The game just keeps expanding with new features that all tie in to the main story. FOB Missions help your single player, online multiplayer gives you resource points in SP, side ops get you valuable tools-As a result I'm barely squeaking towards the end here. Need to throw in the towel on the side stuff and actually crank out 'part 2' of the game.  Shrug

Either way, amazing game.

Pages: 1 ... 383 384 [385] 386 387 ... 486
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic