Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411594 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 08, 2024, 03:35:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignGameplay Idea
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Gameplay Idea  (Read 15451 times)
portabello
Level 0

charlie don't surf!

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2007, 01:02:01 PM »

I was reading this metafilter thread http://www.metafilter.com/60199/Its-alive and stumbled upon this interesting game idea:

I realize First Person Shooters have a lot of other overhead, but damn, I want a big Nostromo level with just me, a weak flame thrower and a single Alien that can do all of these things and we just play cat-and-mouse for hours while I try and set the self destruct.
posted by Brainy at 9:51 AM on April 11

I think this is a really neat idea.  Not necessarily an Alien thing, but the idea of having a game with a very large playing area, single goal, and a very tough enemy to deal with.

Like maybe an updated version of Iron Helix. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Helix

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 01:16:29 PM »

I think that'd be a fun change from mowing down legions of stupid enemies.  To be stalked and attacked by one or two superior enemies in an interesting environment.
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 01:20:55 PM »

A lot of games try this approach, but it's really hard to control the narrative/develop the AI. If you really wanted to develop something with an interesting narrative here, you'd have to add things like environmental changes by merely traipsing around. If the environment was like a forest and you could see footprints, broken branches, trampled plants...  then things would be interesting. The player would be putting together a story and would be able to say, "well, my enemy was here. and the tracks lead towards the river."

The idea is pretty cool, but you need to develop it more, flesh it out. Think of ways to engage the player. If you were able to make it physics based and let the player set up traps ala Predator... well, that'd be nothing short of awesome.

Get the demo itch.io
Follow @lunarsignals on twitter
lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 01:25:22 PM »

um, Deathmatch anyone? Isn't that the point of online play?

I realize that with most FPS multiplayer games, the player's skillsets are the same but in terms of intelligence, that's the point of playing against another person rather than an AI. AI is lightyears away from reproducing the kind of unpredictability that you would have while fighting another human. (rocketjumping for instance)

I agree tho, it would be cool for someone to make a 1 on 1 game where nuance and adaptability was paramount, but I still think it would have to be played against another person to get the kind of experience you're looking for.

portabello
Level 0

charlie don't surf!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 01:36:15 PM »

How about an unarmed player charecter versus a heavily armed antagonist?  Sort of like that lion thing in the first level of Out of this World.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 01:53:50 PM »

How about an unarmed player charecter versus a heavily armed antagonist?  Sort of like that lion thing in the first level of Out of this World.

Yes, I've always liked these sorts of things, when done right.

It's something I want to explore in future games...  I can imagine some great tension and mystery coming from a single opposing global AI, particularly if incorporated into a vibrant game world.  (I.e., as an element of the game, not as the game itself.)  Many great gameplay situations come to mind...

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 01:57:22 PM »

Yeah it'd be nice to see that kind of lion / dude scenario, but with more freedom on how you can escape / win!  Shadow of the Colossus comes to mind, although that game is still kind of a puzzle game.
Madgarden
Level 1

C=

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 09:08:47 PM »

I've always dreamed of playing as an alien beast on an alien world, no technology, just strange and beautiful wilderness...
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 09:56:55 PM »

I've always dreamed of playing as an alien beast on an alien world, no technology, just strange and beautiful wilderness...
I must say I've dreamt that too. Ambient life all around. Strange atmosphere (cloud formations, sky color, etc.)

But more often I dream of a single, lone human survivor (preferrably young teenager or adolescent) in a post-apocalyptic world that is completely devoid of all life...

or is it...?

Dun dun DUN!

But the cities still stand, though in ruins and covered in ash, and the vehicles still run, so you can hop in 'em and GTA it to another place, and every once in a while you'll see something vaguely human fleet through your vision. Then it dawns on you the third time you fall into a sewer-turned-pitfall:
Maybe...maybe you're being hunted!

I dunno.

Anyway...

I always liked the idea of one-on-one hunter-prey sort of things. Especially in big open spaces...because I hate closed, dark, corridored spaces.

GP Lackey
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 10:01:20 PM »

Heh, this sort of reminds me of when I and three of my friends played a match of Halo 2 online against one expert player.  He was like the predator!  Nobody could touch him.  We were trying to stick together but somehow one of us would always get seperated and he'd pick them off.
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 01:03:42 AM »

I've wanted to do a 2D platform game with a persistant enemy for a while. Something akin to the Nemesis from Resident Evil 3, only not just turning up on special occasions, but hunting you through almost the whole game apart from when you're cowering in special safe locations, crapping yourself about going out again.

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 12:07:32 PM »

I wanna do a game like that, too. Hmm.

Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 12:21:27 PM »

I pitched a design once, based on Beowulf. The idea was that there would be nightly raids by the beast, who would try to find weak spots in your town's defenses. During the day, you'd be rebuilding/upgrading those defenses, and also keeping morale up and investigating the back story of why the moster was attacking, finding out that the monster's attacks were probably justified.

Sort of like rampage/tower defense plus nemesis and a bit of the sims, then. Needless to say, it was turned down in favor of a hack'n'slash. Probably too ambitious to do anyhow.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 03:27:15 PM »

I pitched a design once, based on Beowulf. The idea was that there would be nightly raids by the beast, who would try to find weak spots in your town's defenses. During the day, you'd be rebuilding/upgrading those defenses, and also keeping morale up and investigating the back story of why the moster was attacking, finding out that the monster's attacks were probably justified.

Sort of like rampage/tower defense plus nemesis and a bit of the sims, then. Needless to say, it was turned down in favor of a hack'n'slash. Probably too ambitious to do anyhow.

Sounds kind of like The Horde. Smiley
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 04:49:33 PM »

Sounds kind of like The Horde. Smiley
God I love that game.
Plot didn't really make sense though, it's like "You saved my life, and in return I'm gonna give you land... That's infested with hundreds of monsters."

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2007, 08:07:30 PM »

Heh. No new ideas under the sun, eh? Smiley

AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2007, 11:15:01 AM »

Metroid Fusion on the GBA has a recurring hunter character that works pretty well - there were a couple chase segments that really got my heart going.  However, it could be argued that it'd be pretty dang hard to sustain those heart-pounding moments (like the beast from Another World, etc) throughout an entire game.  I mean, that's what game pacing IS.  Then again, RE4 doesn't seem to have issues with pacing, so who knows Tongue

cup full of magic charisma
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2007, 08:53:35 AM »

Metroid Fusion on the GBA has a recurring hunter character that works pretty well - there were a couple chase segments that really got my heart going.

Yes!  I thought that was rad -- my favourite part of the game.

But those segments were canned, if you know what I mean.

lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2007, 10:42:03 AM »

ugh, metroid fusion...   Sad

I get your sentiment tho, it's kinda like the Swirly in Yars Revenge... you know it's coming you're just not sure when (or at least I didn't when I was 6) and that tension makes you play with a real sense of urgency.

man, if I ever remake a game, it will be yars revenge...  Kiss

GP Lackey
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2007, 02:38:19 PM »

Do it.  I've thought about remaking Yar's Revenge too, but I never did anything more than experiment with ways of drawing the neutral zone.

Also, Otto from Berzerk is perhaps similar to this idea?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic