Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411514 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 12:45:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsIdea for a... different competition
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Idea for a... different competition  (Read 2850 times)
pippy
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 30, 2011, 07:11:17 PM »

After reading the "controversial Game Compo [Maek geam, win geam]" thread, I assumed he meant something different from simply offering games on steam.

How about a competition, similar to a game jam.

Expect each contestant chooses someone to "fight" against, and at the end users vote on each project.  The winner of each pair receives the source code to the loosing contestants game. You could choose someone or go against someone randomly.

It would make for an interesting competition.
Makai
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 07:24:23 PM »

Sort of like Indie Kombat? http://www.indiekombat.com/

But with a code swap at the end? I'm not sure what would be the purpose of having someone's source code. Maybe they should both release it to the public?   Smiley
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 09:17:19 PM »

I'm think 5 teams, each with a different theme/genre (or a different genre/common theme?). You can contribute anything you want to whichever project, but you can only work on one of the five. At the end, everybody votes on one of the projects (if you're competing you can vote, but only for one you aren't working on), and the most popular project wins.

It's kind of an anti-Indie challenge, a challenge to focus the most on what you do best, a challenge to trust others to do the same, and a challenge to comment/communicate enough to function as part of a team. Each project gets a subforum, and you must join that project's "group" to participate in the subforum (via a "Sign me up for..." sticky for each of the projects). At the end of the compo, the subforums are unlocked for all to see; like a post-game "making of."

Finally, each project makes a thread on the main forum where any contributors can do their own post-mortems, or revisions to it. Maybe a 2-week time frame for setting up the first/main teams and establishing the projects, and a 2-week time frame to make the project? (Bearing in mind, nobody has to build alone from the ground up, here.) You could possibly cut each phase down to one week apiece, even.

Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 12:02:46 AM »

Expect each contestant chooses someone to "fight" against, and at the end users vote on each project.  The winner of each pair receives the source code to the loosing contestants game.

Um, what would the winner do with the source code?
It sounds interesting, but I'm not quite sure what, other than the duelling, would be the point...?

Maybe I'm just missing something here^^;
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 01:29:12 AM »

See I'd usually consider it a win if I could convince someone to do something with my source code

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
tylerthedesigner
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 02:31:43 PM »

This got me thinking... (idea guy time!)

Would anyone be interested in doing a succession round development?
Explanation- You take a turn to work on a game, then pass it on to the next guy.
This would be challenging within the code realm, and we would have to require some standards of code (or maybe not?). Could be fun.

In fact, I'm gonna start this. No point in letting someone steal my awsome ideaz!!!
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 03:03:28 PM »

I'm think 5 teams, each with a different theme/genre (or a different genre/common theme?). You can contribute anything you want to whichever project, but you can only work on one of the five. At the end, everybody votes on one of the projects (if you're competing you can vote, but only for one you aren't working on), and the most popular project wins.

It's kind of an anti-Indie challenge, a challenge to focus the most on what you do best, a challenge to trust others to do the same, and a challenge to comment/communicate enough to function as part of a team. Each project gets a subforum, and you must join that project's "group" to participate in the subforum (via a "Sign me up for..." sticky for each of the projects). At the end of the compo, the subforums are unlocked for all to see; like a post-game "making of."

Finally, each project makes a thread on the main forum where any contributors can do their own post-mortems, or revisions to it. Maybe a 2-week time frame for setting up the first/main teams and establishing the projects, and a 2-week time frame to make the project? (Bearing in mind, nobody has to build alone from the ground up, here.) You could possibly cut each phase down to one week apiece, even.
THIS
PLEASE MAKE COMPO LIKE THIS!!  Beg

Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 03:47:14 PM »

This got me thinking... (idea guy time!)

Would anyone be interested in doing a succession round development?
Explanation- You take a turn to work on a game, then pass it on to the next guy.
This would be challenging within the code realm, and we would have to require some standards of code (or maybe not?). Could be fun.

In fact, I'm gonna start this. No point in letting someone steal my awsome ideaz!!!

Sounds like a pretty great idea, indeed! Grin
tylerthedesigner
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 03:54:49 PM »

Sounds like a pretty great idea, indeed! Grin

I made a thread for this here- http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=18831.0
(sorry for the derail Pippy)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic