Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

April 30, 2024, 08:01:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Show us your level editor(s)!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Show us your level editor(s)!  (Read 39911 times)
davidp
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2011, 11:25:38 PM »

http://itsmelol.com/beta/platformer.html

place block with mouse, navigate with left/right arrow, s to start, arrows to move char Smiley

Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2011, 02:41:56 AM »

Whoa! Slap a few rules and a goal on it, polish up the controls a bit and you have a sweet browser game already!

(← new art twitter)
KarasAya
TIGBaby

Dead Pool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2011, 04:29:42 AM »

My under development editor, it will be used in my 2D game:

My Personal Website: http://www.ex-dev.com
davidp
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2011, 05:02:41 AM »

Whoa! Slap a few rules and a goal on it, polish up the controls a bit and you have a sweet browser game already!

the plan was to have a platformer game where you build part of levels and then play them through. you'd get only limited stuff to place and multiple solutions for each level.

raigan
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2011, 07:15:54 AM »

the plan was to have a platformer game where you build part of levels and then play them through. you'd get only limited stuff to place and multiple solutions for each level.

You should check out Farbs' Polychromatic Funk Monkey (bottom of the page)... very fun! http://farbs.org/games.html
davidp
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2011, 07:31:30 AM »

hey thanks for the suggestion! Smiley

Nix
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2011, 09:13:12 AM »

or that level designer flash game on kong
ElectricGrandpa
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2011, 05:10:17 PM »

That's the Trainyard puzzle editor. It's made with AIR. There's a glitch though, the textures on the buttons don't usually all say "start the trains", hah Smiley
DanFessler
Pixelhead
Level 3

aka Indigo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2011, 06:26:14 PM »

I agree, this is wonderful. I'm not a coder, so I cannot imagine how difficult it must be to create a good level editor.

Actually, I have a question: I'm a graphics dude and have two sets of assets ready: One Advance Wars-style top-down tileset, and some jumpy runny characters (see my sig).

I'd really love to play around in a level editor, building maps and testing stuff out. Thing is, I have no idea of how to code.

Are there any useful and viable standalone map editors that let me do that? Preferably in a way that someone could actually use that format and build on it?

Thanks. Smiley

I use Tiled Map editor - an open source map editor written in Qt.  It is pretty much the only solution you'll ever truly need for tile-based games.  You can create as many layers as you want and define properties as well as their values on just about anything you place down - making it connect into nearly any game engine with ease.  Really great tools for making the maps themselves as well.

http://www.mapeditor.org/

I really don't know what people continue to create their own map editors when this thing is around.  I've saved so much time using it.

retrofit
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2013, 05:19:12 AM »

I created a Level Editor called Level Director for use with Box2D SDKs such as Corona.

http://www.retrofitproductions.com/level-director
fractilegames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2013, 09:36:21 AM »

Now that this thread got resurrected I'll post here too Smiley

Here's a time lapse video of level creation using my in-game level editor in Lockdown Protocol:

Trent
Level 0

Someday I'll make games!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2013, 04:05:24 AM »

I never ended up finishing this game/editor, but I dove pretty deep into it.

Here's my blog post about the project and why it didn't get completed:
http://trentsterling.com/that-dummy/

I also did a video demonstrating the game and editor together.

Abraxas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2013, 08:48:06 AM »

wow, that is the default editor of flashpunk?
0x0961h
Level 2

Quantum Demon

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2013, 09:18:38 AM »

So, 'tis was an editor for my "hey, I'm going to play with GLSL and Box2D" prototype: Video #1 / Video #2

SelfTitled
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2013, 11:23:04 AM »

Heres a

of me using the level editor from my game A Light Start (level editor comes with the game). Not massivly complicated but gets the job done.

I am a fan of in game level editors tho.

darklight
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2013, 02:19:11 PM »

My game doesn't have levels per se, but it has lots of resources (units, game objects, maps etc), and it has campaigns.  This is the editor for a plane:

And

of me drawing plane artwork, then using the editor to import the artwork & creating a resource then used by the game.

Its written in WPF, which I've found to be an amazing tool for creating the editor.  The combination of C#, form controls & extensive multimedia handling is amazing, I don't know what else I could have used.

Storm Clouds over the Western Front - forum & dev blog | Twitter: @DarklightXNA | YouTube: 2D Flight Sim
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2013, 03:35:11 PM »

Since everybody started posting pics of their level editors I may as well do it:

The level editor is actually integrated in the game itself (which is why the GUI looks completely custom), to make it easier for modding. It can be accessed through the title screen. As a designer you only fill in the collisions, the game determines the graphics on the fly (based on a setting). This makes it much faster to prototype a level.

(note to self: make thread for that game)
Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: October 23, 2013, 11:12:30 PM »

My current project is actually a level editor to work with JSON to store data for a game.
It's going to end up as something like the editor for Aquaria or Braid (with collision stuff for the world and image "nodes", but at the moment you can only draw and rotate static rectangles and set your spawn point (and save+load).
The game is non-existent atm, just a ball that rolls around and various shell classes.
I'm using WinForms with an XNA GraphicDevice running in it.

Early on, I used a picture of a ginger kid as a placeholder to check XNA was working, but I didn't want to get rid of it because it cracks me up so he has his own non-closable window now
(to the right)

So long and thanks for all the pi
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 23, 2013, 11:49:38 PM »

Woah, I don't remember making this thread.

Lots of fancy stuff in here.

dlan
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 24, 2013, 03:41:05 AM »

Yet another Winforms/C# level editor

I wanted to have a level editor where I could edit the game on the fly, so I end up embedding an opengl window in it, and adding data auto reload, for example, when I edit my tileset in graphic gale, it's automatically reloaded in the level editor. I also got a lua console built-in to edit entities properties while playing the game into the editor.

The down side is that I still end up with segfault sometimes since the editor could recreate a lot of thing at the same time.  Smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic