Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 07:58:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationCrime City [FINISHED]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Crime City [FINISHED]  (Read 11566 times)
tom_soderlund
Level 0

Innovate Gaming!

View Profile WWW
« on: June 02, 2008, 06:48:37 AM »

Crime City is a game with procedurally generated homicidals. It's like a combination of Clue (Cluedo) and Sim City.

Every citizen has their own unique identity and psychological profile, generated by the game system.

Try the game at http://www.differentgame.org/games/crimecity/, scroll down for more info.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 04:14:14 PM by tom_soderlund » Logged

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 07:07:02 AM »

Sounds most intriguing, look forward to playing!

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 07:13:04 AM »

You do understand the deadline is in like, 24 hours or so?

Also, this looks fun!
tom_soderlund
Level 0

Innovate Gaming!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 04:12:49 PM »

OK, now is a somewhat playable version available here:

http://www.differentgame.org/games/crimecity/

It's something between a (dis-)proof of concept and a playable demo, I guess. Especially the pacing of the game leaves a lot to ask for: sometimes nothing happens, sometimes it's just a chaotic blood bath...

Some cheats:
Shift+Click to drag and drop people and weapons.
Ctrl+Click (Cmd+Click on Mac) to see statistics.

Enjoy!

Tom.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 04:21:37 PM »

There is an interesting concept there , but the game is too far from completion to have a good idea. So far it lacks many elemnts and it's not very fun to play. For example, it takes too long before a crime is commited and it's not obvious what to do. The Procedural aspect is also a bit neglected (the portraits are too similar, etc...).
Keep working on this one, it could transform into something very interesting with time.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
dmoonfire
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 05:19:14 AM »

I admit, I struggled with this one. Got confused just a bit fast and I couldn't hit the little suckers fast enough. Actually, they were too small for me. A few more directions would be nice too; wasn't entirely sure what to do.

Looks promising though.
tom_soderlund
Level 0

Innovate Gaming!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 08:28:10 AM »

Hi guys!

Thanks for good feedback, I totally agree.

There's a lot of details in the character profile A.I. that just isn't visible to the player, including:
- Physiology: e.g. gender, hair color.
- Personality: e.g. how violent they are, what kind of people they fall in love with.
- Social status: e.g. wealth.

My own main concern with the game, and the biggest challenge for next phase of development, I think is how to:
1) pace the game better, and
2) create gameplay before a crime has been committed.

My idea for the former is to have some kind of "mastermind" system that controls all characters (now they're all total anarchists!).

For the second problem, I'm thinking of maybe letting the player control a police car or something, and that you can be awarded for preventing crimes, as well as solving them.

All suggestions on how the game can be improved are very welcome!

Thanks,

Tom.

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 02:18:14 PM »

I got fairly confused... I kept getting "Well, right man, everything else wrong". I do like the "real time Cluedo" idea, and clicking to interview.

I wouldn't worry about the lack of gameplay before a crime is committed, perhaps concentrate on making the "Cluedo" system more understandable for the player.... maybe just simplify it a bit. One of the things that confused me was the proliferation of guns everywhere, and I couldn't pick the right gun for the crime.

twohalf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 06:16:30 PM »

I really like the idea but I think the interface is too difficult to make it as fun as it could be. For instance the people move a little too quickly and are too small to click easily and the folders look great but switching between interviewing people and the open-case isn't very clear. It might also be good to have the game pause while the case file is open. Pretty cool though otherwise!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic