Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411503 Posts in 69379 Topics- by 58435 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 07:51:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignNon-standard roguelike settings
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Non-standard roguelike settings  (Read 30927 times)
Mitchard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2008, 02:35:16 PM »

Flight simulator rougelike.
Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2008, 02:52:30 PM »

ladies and gentlemen...

+ portal RL  - now you are thinking with "0"s
+ metal gear solid RL - @ eater (survival)
+ windows vista - the RL (featuring @ as hero (cursor))
+ world of warcraft RL with legendary / of burning hate...

I make (60s/70s) rock music. Listen to my band's new album here: www.speicher.bandcamp.com
JimmyBignuts
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2008, 03:06:33 PM »

Oh god I think I just had a mindgasm.

Matrix RL

As a recently freed human mind you must escape the matrix. You do this by fighting your way through various subways, warehouses, street and multi-level buildings. On each level you must find the phone to leave, eventually leading to the real world.

Potential unique features

-A parallel hacking game based in the real world to help out your matrix character
-Guns, lots of guns
-Kung fu
-Keanu Reeves ->@
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2008, 04:05:45 PM »

Oh god I think I just had a mindgasm.

Matrix RL

As a recently freed human mind you must escape the matrix. You do this by fighting your way through various subways, warehouses, street and multi-level buildings. On each level you must find the phone to leave, eventually leading to the real world.

Potential unique features

-A parallel hacking game based in the real world to help out your matrix character
-Guns, lots of guns
-Kung fu
-Keanu Reeves ->@
-"Whoa"

Fix'd.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2008, 09:42:06 PM »

I dunno if steampunk has been done, but...I was bored.

JimmyBignuts
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2008, 02:24:52 AM »

Very nice mockup. I've not tried it yet but the only steampunk RL that I know of is Steamband (http://angband.oook.cz/steamband/steamband.html).
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2008, 02:30:08 AM »

Ooh, that looks wonderful. Gentleman all the way through to Unscrupulous Villain! My Word!

Gentleman
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2008, 04:00:51 AM »

Modern Tactics RL

In Modern Tactics RL you would play as a disgraced military commander who's last ditch attempt to regain his lost honor is to join the enemy's side. In the beginning the focus is mainly on the commander and his many vices. As the story progresses the commander loses everything and must swallow his pride and fight for something more then just himself.

Features:

*Large Scale turn-based battles
*Small Scale real-time battles
*Ability to recruit and level-up individual units
*Many side-quests that probe into the main character's backstory
*Solo (traditional RL gameplay) and squad based gameplay.

I think an RL with a more fleshed-out story would be awesome. Don't get me wrong, I love the crawl, but man, sometimes I want a little bit of story to go with my grind lol...

And btw...Jimmy, Submarine RL is a fucking great idea.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2008, 05:47:16 AM »

But the submarine has to be yellow.

FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2008, 06:47:55 AM »

I'm with everyone else in favor of the submarine gentlemanlike, but I think he should be a bit more of a revenge driven anti-statist, ala Captain Nemo.

I've been thinking about potential expansions to the roguelike genre too.

Algiers RL

Algiers, 1956. Lead the French paratroopers in their noble effort to pacify the restive muslim population and dismantle the FLN. Combat wildcat strikes, police slayings and bombings. Utilize check points, prisoner torture and bombings.

-Procedural casbah
-Dynamic FLN regenerates until decapitated
-Colonial racism

Turner RL

Run a corporate mercenary through the dark world of 20X6. VIP protection, assassination, kidnapping, and of course corporate defection. A vast arsenal of weaponry, body mods, environmental sensors and surgeons are at your fingertips.

-Protect the hackers!
-Defuse the headbomb!
-Escape the railgun!

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2008, 08:40:46 AM »

I want one so detailed I can eat my own arm off to keep from starving.

I think you can eat your own limbs in IVAN... you have to get someone to hack them off for you first though... and I'm not sure of the nutritional value. IVAN's material system is great too. My favourite story is when I was starving and used a scroll of Change Material to transmute my chainmail into pork, and then took it off and ate it. Well, tried to. Actually I ate some of it, threw up a few times due to overeating and then most of it just rotted. Great times.

I'll add my vote for the Submarine RL, and that mockup (Xion's) looks great!

cyber95
Level 5

The Computer is your friend.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2008, 09:34:25 AM »

I want one so detailed I can eat my own arm off to keep from starving.

I think you can eat your own limbs in IVAN... you have to get someone to hack them off for you first though... and I'm not sure of the nutritional value. IVAN's material system is great too. My favourite story is when I was starving and used a scroll of Change Material to transmute my chainmail into pork, and then took it off and ate it. Well, tried to. Actually I ate some of it, threw up a few times due to overeating and then most of it just rotted. Great times.

I'll add my vote for the Submarine RL, and that mockup (Xion's) looks great!

That sounds amazing. Where can I find it?

JimmyBignuts
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2008, 10:39:49 AM »

http://ivan.sourceforge.net/
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2008, 11:26:22 AM »

Cave Story roguelike.

<[o_o]> HUZZAH!

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2008, 11:45:24 AM »

... I think I might start playing a roguelike now  WTF

EDIT: I am in love. My puppy killed me.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 12:18:46 PM by Hideous » Logged

Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2008, 07:05:28 PM »

How about something minimalistic?

MMORPG player RL

The world is a single map with 3 small rooms and a hallway: computer+bedroom, kitchen and toilet. The goal is to sit at the computer as much as possible, grinding your character. Maybe game-time speeds up slightly as you grind. Occasionally there are interrupts, such as Toilet, hygiene and cooking. These must be kept at a minimum as they take precious time away from grinding. You watch your character degenerate over time and the room gets littered with dishes and junk. Sometimes 'The Mother' comes in from 'the outside world'. This can be both good and bad. Sometimes she cleans up the mess, but watch out, she might also give you time consuming tasks (picking up, cleaning, dishes, ordering you to the shower) which you must complete or she'll take away your internet connection. However, it's possible to avoid these tasks by coming up with excuses. A skilled player will eventually master the mother, like Cartman in the South Park WoW episode.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 07:13:50 PM by Arne » Logged
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2008, 07:41:39 PM »

Or kill her and keep the corpse as long as possible.  Tired

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
ChevyRay
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2008, 09:17:09 PM »

How about something minimalistic?

MMORPG player RL

The world is a single map with 3 small rooms and a hallway: computer+bedroom, kitchen and toilet. The goal is to sit at the computer as much as possible, grinding your character. Maybe game-time speeds up slightly as you grind. Occasionally there are interrupts, such as Toilet, hygiene and cooking. These must be kept at a minimum as they take precious time away from grinding. You watch your character degenerate over time and the room gets littered with dishes and junk. Sometimes 'The Mother' comes in from 'the outside world'. This can be both good and bad. Sometimes she cleans up the mess, but watch out, she might also give you time consuming tasks (picking up, cleaning, dishes, ordering you to the shower) which you must complete or she'll take away your internet connection. However, it's possible to avoid these tasks by coming up with excuses. A skilled player will eventually master the mother, like Cartman in the South Park WoW episode.
FUCK YEAH!

Just laughed myself to death.
ChevyRay
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2008, 12:35:39 AM »

I guess I could contribute as well, though my idea isn't quite as elite as the ones already said.

Ant RL (if not already in existence).

Lead an ant colony. I imagine it would share many of the gameplay elements of Dwarf Fortress, but with less ale and diorite, and more antennae and carrying things 100 times your weight. And rain-flooding and gum.
Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2008, 04:05:52 AM »

FireFox RL.

It's basically Firefox but your cursor is an @ and the interface is ASCII.
And the sites are displayed in ASCII/ASCII-art.

God damn it that's some fucked up shit.

I make (60s/70s) rock music. Listen to my band's new album here: www.speicher.bandcamp.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic