Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 08:57:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesThe Humble Indie Bundle #3
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19
Print
Author Topic: The Humble Indie Bundle #3  (Read 40970 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: August 01, 2011, 11:42:16 PM »

i don't actually think it's the dev's fault that that image is used. it's wolfire's decision. so i don't hold it against terry et al at all, just against wolfire for using that particular tactic -- i think it's in bad taste, even if it works to get more money on average from the average customer

also, posting about what one buys with the proceeds of one's sales isn't necessarily a bad idea (unrelated to the image topic, just as a transparency thing). when i first released immortal defense i made a thread on my forums about where the money was going -- describing the computer i bought from it, etc.

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: August 01, 2011, 11:59:27 PM »

Actually a lot of my comments have been sarcastic, but I want to try and break out of this habit of being ultra-critical and pessimistic towards people I see as doing better than me in terms of success with games.

Cause the thing is, I'm becoming more successful at it, too, and now I'm actually starting to meet face to face with some of the people I've talked shit about, and it's really not a good feeling.

Moral: Don't talk shit about successful people if you're serious about being successful yourself. These are the people you are possibly going to be seeing in the future.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: August 02, 2011, 12:07:20 AM »

i dunno, if phubans becomes the establishment the world's gonna end

phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: August 02, 2011, 12:14:26 AM »

I cannot be stopped. Accept and surrender to my will.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: August 02, 2011, 12:23:14 AM »

my party of 4 heroes of light will defeat you

Cool Wizard Gentleman Ninja

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 02, 2011, 12:30:16 AM »

Should have bought Dragon Quest IX instead.
Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: August 02, 2011, 04:07:15 AM »

Moral: Don't talk shit about successful people if you're serious about being successful yourself. These are the people you are possibly going to be seeing in the future.

More like the people I'll be CRUSHING with my capitalistic fist.

Hand Money LeftCheesyHand Money Right

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 02, 2011, 05:33:30 AM »

I remember that Caravel (the developers of Deadly Rooms of Death) once said they approached the Humble Bundle guys and asked if there was a possibility of adding DROD to one of the bundles. They received a response from them saying that they were too busy to download or even look at DROD, which I felt made me lose a bit of respect for the "humble bundle".

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
increpare
« Reply #208 on: August 02, 2011, 05:36:40 AM »

I remember that Caravel (the developers of Deadly Rooms of Death) once said they approached the Humble Bundle guys and asked if there was a possibility of adding DROD to one of the bundles. They received a response from them saying that they were too busy to download or even look at DROD, which I felt made me lose a bit of respect for the "humble bundle".
Ouch.  I guess not everyone in the indie scene can be expected to know of all the establishedly great indie games.  And it's not unreasonable to grant them that they were too busy (even if they weren't, drod can take a little while to get into).  They probably get a lot of requests.  I'd guess the HiB guys work more within their own network of contacts rather than asking for submissions. 
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: August 02, 2011, 06:42:07 AM »

Someone should do an Arrogant Indie Bundle, where you have to send an email to the developers telling why you want the games (with a picture of course) so they can decide if you are worthy of it and how much you should pay. Gentleman

Nikica
Level 5

Remember, it’s all in your head.

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: August 02, 2011, 06:49:57 AM »

Link
Quote from:  Gamasutra
Going forward, Rosen says he'd love to have more lesser-known games – rather than established indie hits like World of Goo and Braid as in previous bundles. “If a game is legitimately good and no one has heard of it... using the Humble Indie Bundle to promote that game would be a dream for us,” Rosen said.

Of course, it's that “legitimately good” part that is often a point of contention. “Lots of people send us requests [for bundle inclusion] for games they believe are great, but... we don't see it the same way,” Rosen said. “It might damage the brand if we put a lot of those kinds of games in there.”

I'm not saying DROD is bad or anything like that but I agree with them a little.
Nix
« Reply #211 on: August 02, 2011, 06:57:20 AM »

Okay, I'm starting to understand peoples' distaste with the starving indie image. I had no idea that HiB earned so much money, especially for the developers. Still, I think was meant as a bit of a joke, perhaps even with an understanding of the irony.

I would like to see the DROD response email before passing judgement. One shouldn't assume it was written with disdain.
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: August 02, 2011, 07:37:25 AM »

Yikes, that would surprise me (I'm a massive fan of the DROD games).

(Do you have a link to where they said that?)

Anarkex
Level 1

Still dope.

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 02, 2011, 08:31:01 AM »

Link
Quote from:  Gamasutra
“It might damage the brand if we put a lot of those kinds of games in there.”

This is funny because they have no problem putting incomplete and unreleased games in the pack.

I for one would be pretty excited to see DROD make the cut. At least it's not something I already bought for five bucks when I thought I was getting a good Steam deal.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: August 02, 2011, 08:41:42 AM »

eva once emailed them about immortal defense being in one of them (even though i told her she shouldn't) and they responded to her it was fine as long as i ported it to linux -- which i'm not really willing to do because i don't know how to port a game maker game to linux, and have never run linux. i do wish one day they'd allow non-linux games, but i realize that's part of their thing

also it'd be nice to have drod on there; i liked the old indie game 'the tower of the sorcerer' and i heard the drod series is the same type of game as that game, but i never had a chance to check drod out yet. but yeah drod sounds like it'd be a *lot* more appropriate for the bundle than some of the games they've had on there, such as cortex command, which was unfinished and buggy

Nix
« Reply #215 on: August 02, 2011, 09:10:50 AM »

I understand their hesitation with drod. I've never played it and at first glance it doesn't strike me as having high production value. I've played enough obscure games to know that judging a game by first glance like that is rarely accurate, but the majority of HiB's audience isn't even slightly involved in "the scene."
Ray Logan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: August 02, 2011, 09:12:48 AM »

I really dig the idea of the Humble Bundle and I'm very happy for its success, but now that we reached the third bundle without something more unknown in the package, I really wish they'd include some less well known alternatives as well. It doesn't have to be a complete package of randomness, but you can mix a little of the "Known" and and throw in some of the "Unknown" as well that didn't get a whole lot of fame yet (for whatever reason) but still are nice games to play and would deserve some help. Most of the included games in the bundle currently are games that had wide publications through having received IGF Awards or Steam Deals, which is really nice of course, but I'd like to see more Games that are new to me as well.

I think that would be really sweet. I still love the bundles, but I think they have a bit of a narrow scope for claiming to support Indies - or is that just me? Smiley

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: August 02, 2011, 09:17:04 AM »

@nix - maybe, but to me, drod looks to have higher production values than an yet it moves (which is a good game that i owned already on steam). but yeah, production values often have little to do with quality, and it's a pity they didn't give the game a chance. my favorite game purchase of this year so far is spacechem, and it also has the lowest production values of any game i bought this year

i also agree with ray logan -- it feels as if they feel (or act) as if the goals of 'sell a lot of bundles' and 'include lesser-known indie games' contradict, and they can't really claim to support both of those goals at once, as they seem to be claiming. it feels like a 'the rich get richer' thing (not that most of the indies in those bundles are *rich*, but they're more successful than the average indie). which would be fine if they didn't also try to give the impression that the customer is supporting poor unknown indies who couldn't afford food otherwise

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 02, 2011, 09:31:45 AM »

Here's the source link that shows DROD being rejected: http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=30769&page=1#317103

I actually remembered it slightly differently; they didn't say that they were too "busy" to look at DROD, just that there are "more games than they're able to bundle".

Also, the e-mail is pretty obviously a generic form letter.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: August 02, 2011, 09:39:16 AM »

Yeah, that looks like a generic rejection email. That sucks Sad

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19
Print
Jump to: