Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411905 Posts in 69428 Topics- by 58475 Members - Latest Member: tpat14

June 09, 2024, 06:51:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioDrums or no drums. some examples.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Drums or no drums. some examples.  (Read 1659 times)
antymattar
Level 5

Has earned the contemporary *Banned* medal

View Profile
« on: July 27, 2011, 11:21:28 AM »

Hello there!

I was wondering on the subject of making songs with fpc's or not. I have three examples if my newest work(the older ones are crap) to show of.

So, normally I cant really imagine that I've heard many songs with no beat or drums added.
You'd expect a beat-less(pun intended) song to be one of slow rithm. I tried an experiment with making songs with no drums, with a slow rithm and one with a not so fast(but those were chiptunes) And I realized that its not the rithm. Its more of a stile and even that means nothing. In my real life I'm a drummer(when I'm not Samus or David or Antymattar the humorous knight) who plays in an orchestra. I am rather used to beats and all, but I really like to explore the territory of songs that have no drums in them. And I always tend to wish I had added them. I know that ambient stuff can work without drums but who really notices that? ok ok, that's not completely true.

ok, so the example I had made(mine the electro. I'l put some better ones up soon if I make anymore) with no drums:
Example

what was your initial reaction to noticing the slight emptiness?

So, what are your thoughts on songs and drums. Should/could and why/how could they have no drum beats and yet be just as good as if they did have them? and what could be the alternative to drums?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 10:25:48 AM by antymattar » Logged

Painting
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 11:09:21 PM »

And I realized that its not the rithm. Its more of a stile and even that means nothing.

What's not the rhythm? What's more of a style? If these sentences mean nothing, why keep them in?

I know that ambient stuff can work without drums but who really notices that?

Any of the huge array of people who enjoy drumless ambient music.

ok, so the examples I had made(mind the horrible tunes) with no drums:
Example one

This song has drums in it. Did you mean to post something else?
antymattar
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 06:04:16 AM »

1) I'm talking about the comparison of the speed of the tune versus the style of the tune.

2) Yes, but I was concentrating more on games. Of course you can make ambient drumless music but its usually quite empty. Yes, you can have a flute but you cant have, say, "The shire" without those toms and the little symbol clashes.

3) Oh for God's sake my head! I uploaded the wrong one. Terribly sorry. I'l fix that.

Havok
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 06:57:17 AM »

So much music today relies heavily on drums as their primary rhythmic motivator. But it doesn't have to be that way and in fact it may help you carve out a musical niche to downplay their significance in your music. If you want to explore music that does not rely on drums as a driving force I suggest you delve into the world of classical art music. There are some massive rhythmic symphonic and ensemble works that feature no percussion or simple timpani underscoring the low strings.

- Listen to how the strings provide a driving rhythm for themselves.

- Notice the timpani (big, deep drum) playing along with the low strings along with sustained strings in the melodic lines.

I gather it may not be your style but you can still learn from it.

You can also look at other sounds or instruments as "beat-makers". Pianos are percussion instruments. You'd be fascinated at the sounds you can get from a string section (http://youtu.be/sqrZSYzg1GU). Also rhythmic bass guitar riffs. Arpeggiated synth lines. Etc.

Also, you can easily have a primarily slow ambient texture in a song and lace it with subtle driving rhythms (quite bass in a faster time signature, background arpeggios, off-beat accents in the accompaniment) which will keep the piece moving along yet in a relaxing way.

I'm not sure if this is quite what you are looking for (and now I just saw that you play percussion in an orchestra) but perhaps it helps.

I love audio: Engineering, Sound Design, Composition
antymattar
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 10:24:15 AM »

You can also look at other sounds or instruments as "beat-makers". Pianos are percussion instruments. You'd be fascinated at the sounds you can get from a string section (

). Also rhythmic bass guitar riffs. Arpeggiated synth lines. Etc.

Also, you can easily have a primarily slow ambient texture in a song and lace it with subtle driving rhythms (quite bass in a faster time signature, background arpeggios, off-beat accents in the accompaniment) which will keep the piece moving along yet in a relaxing way.

I'm not sure if this is quite what you are looking for (and now I just saw that you play percussion in an orchestra) but perhaps it helps.

Oh wow! That Jonny Greenwood is just the sort of strange thing I was wondering about! Thanks! This is just amazing!  Wizard Hand Thumbs Up Right

Havok
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 01:55:00 PM »

Oh wow! That Jonny Greenwood is just the sort of strange thing I was wondering about! Thanks! This is just amazing!  Wizard Hand Thumbs Up Right

No problem! I'm sure I could dig up more examples if pressed but I'm glad to get you started!

I love audio: Engineering, Sound Design, Composition
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic