Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411521 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 05:45:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDotA 2 Thread
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 168
Print
Author Topic: DotA 2 Thread  (Read 314783 times)
dEnamed
Level 4

Bored was AmnEn.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2011, 03:05:25 PM »

With the power of xenophobia and racism (Chorus: LoL)
Arrogance and Superiority Complexes (Chorus: HoN)
Entitlement Issues and general Idiocy (Chorus: Steam)
and rabid Elitism and Nerdrage (DotA)

We proudly present DotA 2 - The Dipshit Empire.
Seriously, I can't wait to see the community on this one. We might hit a new low yet.

Obviously of demonic ancestry. In that case, can I get my wings please?
Trevor Dunbar
Level 10

Working on unannouned fighting game.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2011, 03:38:00 PM »

Seriously, I can't wait to see the community on this one. We might hit a new low yet.

Part of the problem with DoTA one was that you could leave and ruin games as you pleased. It really set up an environment for trolls to run rampant. Although, I have to admit, I quit HoN because the community is rotten and I honestly don't feel like I should be cussed out over voice chat because I might be having a bad game. I also really hate what they did with HoN after they stopped releasing DotA hero ports.

If the community ends up being it's all cracked up to be, we could always just play together with our fellow TIGers.

DotA 2 also has many features which should help with NERD RAGE, like a tutoring system, Bots that fill-in people who disconnect, drop-in "substitute" feature that rewards helping a team who lost a player. I'm sure they'll also be a vote-kick if someone is just not trying or is truely trolling.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 03:43:43 PM by Trevor Dunbar » Logged

Toucantastic.
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2011, 02:30:12 AM »

"What does a hero truly need...? That is for you to decide!" Grin

This is incredible. Also, I can't say I expected the item merchant to be the star of the DotA 2 trailer.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2011, 02:46:49 AM »

WTF
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2011, 02:58:11 AM »

He has the greatest nose I've ever seen! Cheesy

dEnamed
Level 4

Bored was AmnEn.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2011, 04:00:17 AM »

"What does a hero truly need...? That is for you to decide!" Grin

This is incredible. Also, I can't say I expected the item merchant to be the star of the DotA 2 trailer.

"What does a hero truly need...?" my quiet answer: "Money and a Credit Card".
"Hats" might have been a possibility too. That would have made me laugh and people rage all around the globe.
Concerning the communities, yeah, going for a private circle of players should be easier from what I can tell. I just hope it doesn't need such a huge time investment to play, like LoL (Runepages, uberexpensive heroes etc). Concerning the trader himself, it kinda reminded me of a caricature of Gabe (damn, another 3 months in the HL3 dev cycle. I'm sorry Gabe, I love you).

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2011, 04:04:32 AM »

Lamp oil, rope, bombs?
dEnamed
Level 4

Bored was AmnEn.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2011, 04:18:18 AM »

Your mind be infested by Pen and Paper and Railroad Gamemasters!

Mhaine
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2011, 04:46:24 AM »

I never understood such claims about the playerbases of Dota-likes. If you played good, like they would expect you to in any multiplayer game, you never received any hate or flame; after all, what could they say about you then? The community in these games, in my opinion, always gave incredibly fine feedback (due to their honesty) and allowed you to improve. Absurdity is the main source of entertainment, after all. I do not think people who hate such games just detest the skill requirements. What is it, exactly, that makes people afraid of these games?
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2011, 04:50:41 AM »

The communities of DOTA, HoN, and LoL are notorious, even among gamer communities, for being noxious hellholes.  It’s rare that I actually run afoul of these beasts; usually, they’re content to shiver and gasp in their rotting stumps.  Every now and then, though, they do emerge, and I remember: oh, yes.  You senseless things.  Again!

Obviously you have a lot of larvae just learning to be human beings, and I can recognize their wretched, sightless writhings.  But it’s simply a fact that this game is more stressful than other games.  Part of it is almost certainly because the stakes are higher.  On average, a round of League of Legends might be five or six times longer than a round of CoD.  You can only waste a stranger’s time so long before they begin to resent it, and in an environment where there’s little to no repercussions to transgressive behavior there is a high likelihood that you will be transgressed at some point.  I’m not saying it’s an awesome thing to do, just that it is done, and to gird yourself accordingly.
(Tycho, P.A.)

dEnamed
Level 4

Bored was AmnEn.

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2011, 06:08:30 AM »

I never understood such claims about the playerbases of Dota-likes.

I wouldn't say they're claims, as anyone can prove these claims be simply logging into a Moba Game.

If you played good, like they would expect you to in any multiplayer game, you never received any hate or flame;

That's just simply not true, have you not seen the cesspool of top players and how they run their mouth every bloody second, insulting each other left and right? Case in point, Mobagames are the only genre I've ever seen where congratulating your enemy with a gg is considered a flame and will result in massive bitching and whining.

after all, what could they say about you then?
You didn't pick the champion they think is best, you didn't buy the item they would have bought etc. People have opinions. Opinions differ. Round 1. Fight.

The community in these games, in my opinion, always gave incredibly fine feedback (due to their honesty) and allowed you to improve.

WTF ARE YOU DOING IDIOT, L2P NOOB! Fucking fucktard fucker retard, I hope you die in a fire you dipshit pile of shit. OMG, YOU SUCK!!!!!!!!!! FUCKING REPORT THIS MORON ALREADY!!! DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE OF CANCER YOU FAGGOT AIDS BAG.

Not insulting you there, mind you (really am not). Just providing typical "incredibly fine feedback" Moba style. I hope you can see how this kind of feedback doesn't possess any kind of quality to it. Not sure if you have access to it, the Tribunal in LoL really does show why Moba Games has such a bad reputation.

Absurdity is the main source of entertainment, after all.

Not my kind of entertainment. Not sure if wading through a wall of insults ever was entertaining to begin with.

I do not think people who hate such games just detest the skill requirements.
What skill requirements? I'm sorry but Moba Games aren't exactly hard games. Anyone that has ever played your average RTS Game or RPG will do just fine. So again, what skill requirements?

What is it, exactly, that makes people afraid of these games?

Afraid is pretty much the wrong word for it. People just value their time. The decision is a pretty easy one, do I want a good time or do I want to experience abuse. Hence, the decision to stay away from Mobas. As stunning as it may seem, given how gamers behave in games, people generally don't enjoy insults and verbal abuse.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 06:17:37 AM by dEnamed » Logged

Nix
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2011, 07:09:54 AM »

I do not think people who hate such games just detest the skill requirements.
What skill requirements? I'm sorry but Moba Games aren't exactly hard games. Anyone that has ever played your average RTS Game or RPG will do just fine. So again, what skill requirements?

I never got a lot of trolling when I was into LoL and I played for a decent amount of time. Either people just liked me more or (more likely) I didn't suck as much as people who get trolled as much as you seem to be indicating. And saying that DoTa-likes don't require skill is silly. If you don't think they require skill, then that's clear evidence of you never having hit the skill barrier where people stop trolling.
shig
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2011, 08:44:54 AM »

people never stop trolling
dEnamed
Level 4

Bored was AmnEn.

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2011, 08:52:25 AM »

I never got a lot of trolling when I was into LoL and I played for a decent amount of time. Either people just liked me more or (more likely) I didn't suck as much as people who get trolled as much as you seem to be indicating. And saying that DoTa-likes don't require skill is silly. If you don't think they require skill, then that's clear evidence of you never having hit the skill barrier where people stop trolling.

I'm not surprised at this response, naturally it has to be about "skill". The one constant that is always open to attack and can never be proven. If you look carefully though, I've never said they don't require any skill at all, but instead that they're not hard games. Also the point where people would stop trolling, which kind of ELO are we looking at? Cause the ones at the top of the ladder are trolling just as much as those at the bottom of it, so we would be talking about some sort of hypothetical utopian thing.

To further emphasize on the skill requirement (meaning, you need to grasp these concepts to play):

You move by clicking.
You get better by killing.
You buy stuff to get better.
Kill the enemy.
Kill their base.

Really, how much more simple can those core concepts be? They're what's at the base of just about every other game these days.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 09:00:52 AM by dEnamed » Logged

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2011, 09:13:37 AM »

Thats like saying Mario the lost levels doesnt require skill because its core concepts are move, jump an avoid obstacles, reach the end.

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2011, 09:22:37 AM »

Thats like saying Mario the lost levels doesnt require skill because its core concepts are move, jump an avoid obstacles, reach the end.

Exactly. "Skill" is not grasping the core mechanics, but becoming very good at them.

That said, I've seen people rage and insult regardless of your skill level. If you get owned, you're a "fucking n00b feeder!!!!!111". If you get in the zone, and kill the enemies like there's no tomorrow, you are a "fucking n00b imba hero abuser!!!11!!".  

Shrug

That said, I only played the original DotA, so I don't know about the HoN and LoL communities.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
Nix
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2011, 09:38:56 AM »

LoL is also much better if you play with friends on teams. Solo queues are universally terrible
Mhaine
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2011, 09:55:21 AM »

The community in these games, in my opinion, always gave incredibly fine feedback (due to their honesty) and allowed you to improve.

WTF ARE YOU DOING IDIOT, L2P NOOB! Fucking fucktard fucker retard, I hope you die in a fire you dipshit pile of shit. OMG, YOU SUCK!!!!!!!!!! FUCKING REPORT THIS MORON ALREADY!!! DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE OF CANCER YOU FAGGOT AIDS BAG.

And, as I had mentioned, that would be considered honest, fine feedback. There is always a reason for that kind of talk (unless, of course, the player itself is not good; however, you would not see such a situation when a proper ranking system is implemented). While traditional SC style games only allow one to see his own mistakes in the game only by being introspective, DOTA games allow one to improve himself during the game itself thanks to the cooperative aspects involved.

What skill requirements? I'm sorry but Moba Games aren't exactly hard games. Anyone that has ever played your average RTS Game or RPG will do just fine.

Since DotA games are competitive (maybe except LoL at high levels due to metagame stagnation and lack of variety in competitive teams), one would have to assume that an average player would not do fine. However, my point was that the skill requirement was not the reason people don't like MOBA's, which we both agree on.

People just value their time. The decision is a pretty easy one, do I want a good time or do I want to experience abuse. Hence, the decision to stay away from Mobas. As stunning as it may seem, given how gamers behave in games, people generally don't enjoy insults and verbal abuse.

What you have said is indeed true. I just do not think that this justification gives you the right to call LoL players, Steam users, or any MOBA players, in that matter, xenophobic and racist idiots, like you did in the post I initially answered to. Opinions may differ, but unless we learn to answer offence with tolerance, I doubt we can ever achieve happiness.
shig
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2011, 10:30:52 AM »

while you were arguing i signed my steam account for the DOTA2 Beta. gg
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2011, 10:42:10 AM »

And, as I had mentioned, that would be considered honest, fine feedback.
hahahahahahaha

ahahhahahhahahahaaahhhaahaa

hahahahahahhahhahahaaaahahaaha  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

LOL

this, folks, is why "e-sports" will never be taken seriously.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 168
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic