Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 01:49:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessHiring a Programmer?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Hiring a Programmer?  (Read 4004 times)
JOBA
Level 1

EZ

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2011, 03:29:15 AM »

As a broke student I would jump on a gamedev related project for way less than 1000$ a month as a part time job IF i would find the game interesting and if there would be profit sharing options.

So, yeah, i'd strongly advise you to show off your art, game concepts - and if you'd get people interested, they'd(at least i would) work for you for way less than 2000$.

I'd suck dicks for 2000$ a month Sad

Instant TileEd - draw pixel art games and export them to Tiled TMX!
Looking for artist for a CRPG!
nix_BB
Level 0

Program{Ga}mer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2011, 02:31:28 AM »

Game Developer Magazine has an annual survey focused on salaries across the industry.

I find it to be a good point for comparison, but ultimately rates should be determined by the persons experience. Giving someone a stack of cash is not going to get the job done if they don't know what they are doing.

Make sure that there is a way of measuring progress - it's better to buy a persons production rather than their time.

bluescrn
Level 1

Unemployed Coder / Full-time Indie :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2011, 03:44:17 PM »

The problem I find with collab and splitting 50/50 is that the programmer since he is the tester and coder tends to make the game his way, Like I tell him no double jump, yet he ads it, I tell him I want him to move faster and he doesn't do it. It's just a big pain to work with someone who doesn't follow the idea that we defined from the beggining, yet hopefully I will be able to work with someone who is.

If you're trying to micromanage the coder, or get him to code 'to spec', it's not really a collaboration, it's more of a manager-subordinate relationship.

On small projects, you've just got to work with a coder that you can trust to make things 'feel right'. Sometimes they'll have very good technical reasons for changing certain things. With your example, he may have already tried making the character faster - and realised that allows him to jump too far, or not see far enough ahead - then reverted it.

Also, be realistic. You won't find a coder that'll make an epic MMORPG on the basis of some concept art and a design doc...  But if you've got a good idea for a relatively simple project (e.g. 2D platformer or puzzle game), and some pretty art, you'll probably find a competent programmer without too much trouble.

(As a coder, finding good artists to work on a collaboration is rather tough, unless you know one IRL, or are willing to work with someone very inexperienced. Those with the skills/talent generally don't want X% of possible future revenue, they want cold hard cash up front!)

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic