Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 04:25:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignIdea for a sound game.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Idea for a sound game.  (Read 1222 times)
antymattar
Level 5

Has earned the contemporary *Banned* medal

View Profile
« on: September 02, 2011, 11:00:15 PM »

I had an idea about a game where the player is a space ship in space and has to use "hearing" and sonar in order to guess what is where. The setting is 350 trillion years into the future and the laws of physics have degraded and changed. All the stars are gone and there are only a few human space ships left in the great far blackness, looking for FAST's(Fixed Points in Space and Time. They are small holes in space that appear spontaneously and generate power) to power their ships. Since there is no light, the player has to listen for fasts and large collections of rock and stuff. The Fasts would also disintegrate so the player has to find them quite fast(hence the name). There would also be a time monitor. The time monitor would show you when and how fast Timeripples are coming your way(time ripples are remnants of explosions in time) and Realization waves are coming. The universe forgot a lot of things, and when it remembers, the Realization waves call the objects back into existence(So, many things like other ships sometimes but usually rocks and junk will be called back into existence) so the player has to watch out for that too.

The player would have to use his mouse to pint in a direction and listen. This would give him a pitch and volume that would indicate what can be found where. Regular rocks would just raise the volume a bit and perhaps manipulate the pitch by a very small fraction. However Fasts and black holes(invisible. You just have to listen to them and see if any rocks fall in) would drastically manipulate the pitch and maybe even rhythm.

I was sort of inspired by Osmos. I was already making this but I realized that Game Maker cant manipulate the pitch of sounds so no dice...  Lips Sealed

Ashkin
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 02:29:40 AM »

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=5131.0
antymattar
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 03:01:19 AM »

yeah well its a free country and I wanted to get some feedback... But now its all over. ITS ALL OVER MAN!!! Cool

tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 06:56:41 AM »

I had a pretty similar idea for a game, but I decided it wouldn't be fun. The game would be visually uninteresting, and using sound to determine where things are would probably be quite imprecise. However, the gameplay you're thinking of is different than my idea, so maybe it would work.
antymattar
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 10:34:52 AM »

I had a pretty similar idea for a game, but I decided it wouldn't be fun. The game would be visually uninteresting, and using sound to determine where things are would probably be quite imprecise. However, the gameplay you're thinking of is different than my idea, so maybe it would work.
It could be visually compelling because the player has some vision of the objects near him. Heres a screenshot of how far development got(It explains little because it has no sound to it Tongue)

rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 01:16:10 AM »

Well, there is no sound in space, so...
antymattar
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 04:28:38 AM »

Well, there is no sound in space, so...
But I never mentioned that the player is listening to "sound". He is listening to gravity ripples in the fabric of spacetime... Hence the ability to predict time ripples.

Theophilus
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 05:12:27 AM »

So he's listening to the sound of "gravity ripples"?
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 05:25:58 AM »

Naw, the game would just use audio to represent them, so the sound would be non-diegetic. Or that's how I understood it at least.
antymattar
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 10:19:09 AM »

Yes you understood correctly.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic