Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412081 Posts in 69447 Topics- by 58486 Members - Latest Member: holdemech

June 26, 2024, 01:51:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralAll Purpose Animu Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 259
Print
Author Topic: All Purpose Animu Discussion  (Read 520415 times)
ink.inc
« Reply #240 on: January 28, 2012, 09:32:07 PM »

At the suggestion of Blademasterbobo, I started to watch The Tatami Galaxy.

As far as anime series go, its fairly atypical. I got more of a Persepolis vibe from it than any other anime I've seen. The colors change depending on the mood of the scene, and it does a lot of visually interesting things. It's a real treat to watch. The story follows a young college man who suffers from acute loneliness and an inability to talk to women. The 'gimmick' of the series is that each episode details the events of his life had he joined a different college club. It runs at a breakneck speed, and I often had to pause to read the subtitles, but it's a strange combination of humor and (really) depressing moments, some of which resonated with me more than I would have liked.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 09:45:39 PM by John Sandoval » Logged
rdein
« Reply #241 on: January 28, 2012, 09:52:45 PM »

that art is by the same guy (yusuke nakamura) who does asian kung fu generation's album cover arts check out that stuff. the cover arts, i mean. maybe the music if you're into that

also i leave two recommendations: 20th century boys (by naoki urasawa) and cross game (by mitsuru adachi). my two favorite mangas with amazing story / character development not to mention the incredible art
ink.inc
« Reply #242 on: January 28, 2012, 10:13:15 PM »

that art is by the same guy (yusuke nakamura) who does asian kung fu generation's album cover arts check out that stuff. the cover arts, i mean. maybe the music if you're into that

Thanks ein, some of these look pretty cool.
iffi
« Reply #243 on: January 28, 2012, 10:53:52 PM »

I've been somewhat interested in watching Madoka (I hear crazy shit starts happening around episode 3), but the art doesn't really appeal to me. I don't like the way the eyes are drawn, and I don't like the wideness of the face.
The thing that happens around episode 3 is really only "crazy shit" if you weren't expecting it. If you actually expect something major to happen it isn't that surprising.

I personally found it boring until around episode 10. It's not that it was bad, but rather that the story progressed too slowly in my opinion. I think the pacing would have been better if it were condensed down into the length of a relatively long movie. Which is interesting because there's a 3-part movie planned, two parts of which are a remake of the original series.

Also, the twists weren't as unexpected as I imagined them to be. I think it would have been more surprising had I watched it on the initial airing, but the knowledge that there are spoilers is a spoiler in itself, even without knowing what the spoilers are, if you know what I mean.
Conker534
« Reply #244 on: January 28, 2012, 11:01:49 PM »

I just watched Paprika.

Cool.
C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 29, 2012, 12:51:29 AM »

I loved Tatami Galaxy, it's one of few animes that I have on dvd.

I guess it's true about the pacing issues with Madoka prior episode 10, although I found most of the appeal of the series to be the awesome witch fights and the juxtaposition of the almost-constant dark mood with the magical girl genre.

The width of the faces kinda bugged me too.
iffi
« Reply #246 on: January 29, 2012, 12:59:16 AM »

I loved Tatami Galaxy, it's one of few animes that I have on dvd.

I guess it's true about the pacing issues with Madoka prior episode 10, although I found most of the appeal of the series to be the awesome witch fights and the juxtaposition of the almost-constant dark mood with the magical girl genre.

The width of the faces kinda bugged me too.
I was actually expecting more witch fights than there actually were, or at least longer ones. Most of them were quite short if I remember correctly.

I do remember thinking that there was something wrong with my aspect ratio a couple of times. Must have been the faces. Now that I think about it, it must have been the faces.
Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 29, 2012, 01:03:46 AM »

I don't watch many animes much at all, but my siblings do, so I tend to watch what they do sometimes.

Noeinwhatever was one my little sister decided to watch on Netflix.

It was incredibly good, even if the art style was almost constantly changing. At least it certainly felt like it. It was really intense though. I liked it.

Madoka Magica is also pretty good. The faces never bothered me, and I LOVED all the Witch designs, and the whole plot and everything aernklkernbekl I nearly cried at the end :u

I need to watch FLCL or whatever it's called, HEAVEN PIERCER DRILL anime that I can never rememeber how to spell the full name, Ghost in a Shell movies, and various other ones.

The gif wall John posted a page or two back was just so full of wonderful animation aaaaaaaaa.

I have such a love for such well done animations *o*

Some of these look very interesting. I'm going to have to watch all of them at some point... @_@
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #248 on: January 29, 2012, 01:17:17 AM »

I watched You Are Umasou last night. I was not expecting to be as moved in the beginning as I was, but the film surprised me. Of course I dawwed over the adorable dionsaurs, but I was also a little stunned to see the carnivores actually eating another dinosaur- I guess I'm used to American cartoons that would just politely conceal any dead animal parts, but I guess because of the simplistic style of the film they can get away with an exposed rib cage. I also thought that the fight scenes, while ridiculous, somehow worked in the context of the film- the film was already distanced enough from reality that I had no trouble accepting the fact that dinosaurs could learn kung fu. All in all, great kids' movie, and you can watch the whole thing in subtitles on Youtube for free.
ink.inc
« Reply #249 on: January 29, 2012, 01:29:56 AM »

I'll warn you now: FLCL makes very little sense, but it doesn't matter because the animation is just really well done. Try to watch it in Japanese. Gurren Lagann, on the other hand, is FUCKING GLORIOUS. Ghost in the Shell (both the film and the series) are must-watches.

In regards to Noein on Netflix- it's a shame you had to watch it in English (the only version that's available on instant streaming, which i assume you used). Though there are some English dubs that are very well done (Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell SAC come to mind), Noein suffered from '40 year old woman trying to sound like 12 year old girl' syndrome.

It was painful.

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #250 on: January 29, 2012, 01:42:05 AM »

I had to watch FLCL 3 times before I felt I truly understood it. Yes, I understoodNoir
(this happened over a period of 5 years and occasionally spending time thinking about it)

For me anime is best in movies. Just higher quality output overall. Animation and artistic detail are usually oh-so-much better too.
I shall now list some of my favorites:
Paprika, Tekkonkinkreet, Black Rock Shooter, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Summer Wars... All that comes to mind yet.

Also how do you people feel about recent anime art trends of the past year or so? More visual simplicity and suggested lines(rather than hard lines everywhere), exaggerated motions, more realistic proportions(except for breasts, as usual), etc. I really dig it.

ink.inc
« Reply #251 on: January 29, 2012, 02:17:58 AM »

oh man, i'm 5 episodes into the Tatami Galaxy and I really, really like it

highly recommend

watch it here:

http://www.hulu.com/the-tatami-galaxy
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #252 on: January 29, 2012, 02:18:27 AM »

Redline, it's basically the F-Zero movie I always wanted. Just spectacular.

ink.inc
« Reply #253 on: January 29, 2012, 02:25:18 AM »

Wow, I've watched a good number of those. Ergo Proxy was particularly pretty, had almost forgotten that I watched it.

It's pretentious, but its interesting, and very well animated.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 02:34:01 AM by John Sandoval » Logged
C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 29, 2012, 02:56:28 AM »

Redline, it's basically the F-Zero movie I always wanted. Just spectacular.

Redline was amazing, the plot was cheesy, but very fun.

ham and brie
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: January 29, 2012, 03:06:13 AM »

I've seen just over two thirds of those. Pretty good list for someone who'd want to mostly avoid moe stuff.

Anyone here follow current shows? Like Nisemonogatari, Mouretsu Pirates, Aquarion Evol, Another?
ink.inc
« Reply #256 on: January 29, 2012, 03:08:46 AM »

Bobo recommended that to me a while back; I've been meaning to take a gander, but haven't really made the time for it. Right now, just too much Tatami Galaxy.

The main character is basically a complete shmuck who has super high expectations/ideals and can't realize what he has right in front of him. He goes on and on about how his life could have been better had he joined a different club, but each time his life resets, he continues to fuck it up.

CANT YOU SEE SHES IN LOVE WITH YOU

NO MATTER WHAT CLUB YOU JOIN, SHES ALWAYS THERE FOR YOU LSKJFLSKDJFSKDJFLSDJFLKSJF

You're goddamn right about that, Akashi.
C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 29, 2012, 03:22:33 AM »

That is one of the best anime lists I have ever seen, it would be really good for recommending a first time anime viewer, as none of those fall into the normal anime stereotypes.
iffi
« Reply #258 on: January 29, 2012, 03:52:49 AM »

I've watched... none of those, except Howl's Moving Castle and Spirited Away, and a few episodes of Baccano and Azumanga Daioh. I've heard good things about many of them, though. Bookmarked for some day hopefully before the apocalypse.
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 29, 2012, 04:00:51 AM »

I watched You Are Umasou last night. I was not expecting to be as moved in the beginning as I was, but the film surprised me. Of course I dawwed over the adorable dionsaurs, but I was also a little stunned to see the carnivores actually eating another dinosaur- I guess I'm used to American cartoons that would just politely conceal any dead animal parts, but I guess because of the simplistic style of the film they can get away with an exposed rib cage. I also thought that the fight scenes, while ridiculous, somehow worked in the context of the film- the film was already distanced enough from reality that I had no trouble accepting the fact that dinosaurs could learn kung fu. All in all, great kids' movie, and you can watch the whole thing in subtitles on Youtube for free.

I love this movie <3 <3

Also, here is the link to the youtubes you mentioned:

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 259
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic