Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 08:44:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignTale of the stars
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Tale of the stars  (Read 1087 times)
majormel84
Level 0

holy shit

View Profile WWW
« on: September 05, 2011, 08:44:29 PM »

Please note that I'm new into indie game developing and I really like to make ideas for games.I am also very young(14 years old.) so, I really want all the knowledge of programming and developing.

Story

Tale Of The Stars is a traditional science fiction role-playing game,where you play as Sol Wright, a young man who must save his planet from the evil aliens,"The Enders". Sol ends up meeting a princess,named Starlette , who tells Sol to defeat the Enders , he must find all the chosen ones in the galaxy so he can recreate the fabled prophecy,TALE OF THE STARS!!!The characters will be quite interesting to see as well.

Gameplay

I really wanted to make a really interesting game to play,so I have a few ideas here that may be interesting to a few people:
-Adding some rts elements into a rpg(I really wanted the player to feel like when he/she is traveling the world and galaxy,they are still in a huge battle system).
-A new leveling up type of system.
-A new type of setting for sci-fi games.
-It kinda plays like pacman but cooler.
Questions
Does this project sound crazy?
Should the game be 2d or 3d?
What good development programs are there?
can I make a game with unity and sell it(without there being legal issues)?
Is it a good idea to do this now?

Thanks for taking a look at this and I hope you give me some great constructive criticism or leave your thoughts on the idea.Also I'm fine if you feel like adding ideas that can help improve the game.

W H Y   M E
Theophilus
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 09:14:03 PM »

Hi, welcome to Tigsource, and more importantly, the wonderful world of game development.

It sounds like you are very new. Your idea is very very very big, especially so for someone so new.

You should learn to crawl before you run.

Try reading through here: http://superfriendshipclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15
Geeze
Level 5

Totally.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 09:21:38 PM »

Mm... the story is quite "traditional" (Read: Filled with cliché's, but that's not necessarily bad thing if story is well-written)

-Adding some rts elements into a rpg
-It kinda plays like pacman but cooler.
I really want to see how on earth you're going to combine these.Gentleman

I think you can freely sell games made with Unity(free/indie)

It sounds like you are very new. Your idea is very very very big, especially so for someone so new.

You should learn to crawl before you run.
Totally agreed. Complete a game of your level first. Actually gathering team for a bigger project is a lot easier if you have some stuff under your belt.

Good luck.

P.S.
Oh wait, If you want pro's opinion, hear Paul Eres. (Except he could scare you off completely from indie-scene but still)

majormel84
Level 0

holy shit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 09:46:19 PM »

thanks for teh feedback guys.
maybe i should do a smaller project?
but ill still keep this in mind.

W H Y   M E
antymattar
Level 5

Has earned the contemporary *Banned* medal

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 11:23:33 PM »

thanks for teh feedback guys.
maybe i should do a smaller project?
but ill still keep this in mind.
Yeah. Try something small for now. Maybe even dynamic(With no story at all. Theres a lot of games like this and they are quite fun.)

Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 12:10:46 AM »

If you want to tell a story, write a novel or a book. It is a lot easier. If you don't like books, you could still write the story and find some artist to illustrate it to a picture book or comic.

if you want to make games however, you should approach the challenge from a actual game playing point of view. What kind of game mechanics are fun? What do you like to play? These should have nothing to do with the story or the scale of the game. Because that is irrelevant. In the end, all the good games are 100% about the actual mechanics and small things / details. At least for me that is.

majormel84
Level 0

holy shit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 12:28:50 AM »

If you want to tell a story, write a novel or a book. It is a lot easier. If you don't like books, you could still write the story and find some artist to illustrate it to a picture book or comic.

if you want to make games however, you should approach the challenge from a actual game playing point of view. What kind of game mechanics are fun? What do you like to play? These should have nothing to do with the story or the scale of the game. Because that is irrelevant. In the end, all the good games are 100% about the actual mechanics and small things / details. At least for me that is.

thanks or the advice.i think you are right because if i focus on story first it might make stuff harder?
anyways thanks guys..im brainstorming for something smaller.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 11:40:49 AM by majormel84 » Logged

W H Y   M E
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic