Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 07:48:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignWhat features would you remove from modern games...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: What features would you remove from modern games...  (Read 6715 times)
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2011, 03:27:34 PM »

I think this vid fits in here:

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
XRA
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2011, 09:10:30 PM »

ink.inc
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2011, 10:38:38 PM »

filler?
XRA
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2011, 02:12:23 AM »

oh I mean the way-points/objective beacon stuff that games abuse now, instead of relying on good level design or composition to lead players, ETC, their eyes instead get glued to a tiny portion of the screen.

Another sad thing about it is while some games do have a use for way-points/beacons(beyond just an abstract hud feature, giving it more reason, like say an aircraft cockpit)... I don't think any game has actually screwed with Player expectation with objective beacons, like say a horror game, the objective beacon is actually fake and glitches out and leads you into a trap without you knowing etc... if some games have done so then that is awesome.

also, grape jelly = excessive on-screen blood splatter (mostly with regenerating health)  Grin
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 02:19:41 AM by XRA » Logged

Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2011, 04:04:10 AM »

Another sad thing about it is while some games do have a use for way-points/beacons(beyond just an abstract hud feature, giving it more reason, like say an aircraft cockpit)... I don't think any game has actually screwed with Player expectation with objective beacons, like say a horror game, the objective beacon is actually fake and glitches out and leads you into a trap without you knowing etc... if some games have done so then that is awesome.
Interesting idea, reminds me of untrustworthy narrator from novels but in video game context. Untrustworthy game mechanics?  Huh?

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2011, 01:31:31 PM »

4. lack of strategy, variety, or allowance for creativity (e.g. in most games all challenges can be completed in only one way, the intended way)

5. linearity (but this was always a problem, not just with modern games but also with games in the past)
I see these two as one and the same. Strategy and creativity are a form of nonlinearity imo.

I agree that strategy and openness in games is on the decline, in the "indie scene" almost as much as in the "mainstream." Gilbert Timmy said something about that in some other thread. He contrasts "challenge mentality" (making the player jump through hoops) and "playground mentality" (giving the player the tools to overcome obstacles in their own way) and thinks that "challenge mentality" is more prevalent today, or that's how I understood it at least.

definitely related, but i can think of non-linear games that don't require much in the way of strategy (grand theft auto series), or linear strategic games (spacechem), but it is true that they're commonly found together (e.g. alpha centauri is both non-linear and requires strategy)

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2011, 01:42:29 PM »

So how about to at least disable the conversation-interaction if your npc has nothing else to say, for those who watched the vid? Instead of repeating the same sentence all over again which is breaking the immersion of the game. What are your ideas how to solve that problem in rpg's?

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2011, 10:59:18 PM »

So how about to at least disable the conversation-interaction if your npc has nothing else to say, for those who watched the vid? Instead of repeating the same sentence all over again which is breaking the immersion of the game. What are your ideas how to solve that problem in rpg's?

Well you said it, disable conversation-interaction after NPC has said what he has to say. That is easiest solution. Other solution is to come up with 200 random small talk sentences which NPC randomly says. Or best solution is to come up with algorithm that forms coherent sentences out of prewritten words and phrases.

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2011, 03:27:15 AM »

How about a convincing idea but not too difficult to implement. A general idea: You can add a small action tree a npc can use. If you randomly ask him the same stuff you will slowly start to go on his nerve up to a point that he will start attacking you in an appropriate form?

Nitromatic
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2011, 09:03:01 AM »

How about a convincing idea but not too difficult to implement. A general idea: You can add a small action tree a npc can use. If you randomly ask him the same stuff you will slowly start to go on his nerve up to a point that he will start attacking you in an appropriate form?

Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2011, 10:18:59 AM »

But but, what if player smashes buttons to get past dialogue and later find out that he doesn't know what to do and would like to ask hints from NPCs?

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2011, 10:25:50 AM »

But but all the relevant information is tracked down in pda or a memory-block anyway.

Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2011, 10:47:01 AM »

Oh yes, guess I was back in 90's and early and mid 2000  Huh?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic